RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Rooboy

Hurricane forever

Super Rugby is almost upon us and like a lamb to the slaughter I am returning to the Hurricanes camp after 6 months of telling anyone who would listen that I was off to support any other franchise.

At the end of the day, as my soccer supporting European friends have pointed out, no matter what happens at your club, no matter how bad the coach is, no matter who leaves because of him, you just have to keep on supporting because they are your club. Simple as that.

So I'm back at the Caketin, dressed in yellow and looking forward to a couple of wins this season........maybe.

Super Rugby is almost upon us and like a lamb to the slaughter I am returning to the Hurricanes camp after 6 months of telling anyone who would listen that I was off to support any other franchise.

At the end of the day, as my soccer supporting European friends have pointed out, no matter what happens at your club, no matter how bad the coach is, no matter who leaves because of him, you just have to keep on supporting because they are your club. Simple as that.

So I'm back at the Caketin, dressed in yellow and looking forward to a couple of wins this season........maybe.

It's mugs like you that 'marketing guru's' dream about. They want people like you to feel the way you currently are, and that is fatally flawed imo.

As soon as they start charging for your support then the deal changes. That is, professional rugby is a product; if you're unhappy with the product then you spend your money on another product.

Your 'team' SHOULD be your local club team, or the teams that your children play in. The teams who don't charge for your support, but yet you turn up regardless.

That Hurricanes team would struggle to beat a quality ITM Cup team, and I can think of better things to do with my money than spend it on an inferior product.

It's mugs like you that 'marketing guru's' dream about. They want people like you to feel the way you currently are, and that is fatally flawed imo.

As soon as they start charging for your support then the deal changes. That is, professional rugby is a product]

Thanks Stephen. While I don't really like being referred to as "a Mug" I hear what you're saying.

In my defence I should point out that I am very passionate about my boys rugby teams and find it the best rugby to watch and enjoy. I no longer have a club to follow, but support the Mighty Manawatu with a passion, certainly more so than any Super rugby team.

The fact of the matter is that it is the start of the season and I have to have a Super team to make it interesting. Product or no product, even when I am not getting value for money, even when the head coach sacks our best players, I find that I can't disassociate from the Hurricanes, just as I follow West Ham through all their trials and tribulations.

I'm just a weak, weak man.

......go the Hurricanes !!!

How those long-suffering supporters could not see what was happening before their eyes ,was hard to fathom.

I'm confident these changes will be the start to a significant revival !!!!

So called 'supporters' ,the like of Chris Taylor are better off with the Chiefs etc ,after all they were part of the problem .

Wellington cricket also needs a shake-up...you will have noticed they were 'last' in everything agin !!!

Go the Hurricanes....and great to see Jesse back !!!!

:D

......go the Hurricanes !!!

How those long-suffering supporters could not see what was happening before their eyes ,was hard to fathom.

So called 'supporters' ,the like of Chris Taylor are better off with the Chiefs etc ,after all they were part of the problem .

Wellington cricket also needs a shake-up...you will have noticed they were 'last' in everything agin !!!

Go the Hurricanes....and great to see Jesse back !!!!

Interesting to read on another thread how you're hoping to meet up with pogo for a league fixture TM. One things for sure: he won't be taking you to any tennis matches, and we both know the reasons for that don't we!

You ought to be more careful who you pass confidential information on to.

Interesting to read on another thread how you're hoping to meet up with pogo for a league fixture TM. One things for sure: he won't be taking you to any tennis matches, and we both know the reasons for that don't we!

You ought to be more careful who you pass confidential information on to.

.....don't follow the Tennis reference !!

Only downside about this "League adventure" is I'll be missing the Wellington Saints v Nelson Giants Basketball clash , and we know what has happened the last 3 years in the round-robin , don't we ???

So you are pre-warned , I won't be there ,you won't see me in action .

Enjoy Money-Bill this year and good luck to the Chiefs.

But.....Go the Hurricanes !!!!!

.....don't follow the Tennis reference !!

Don't plead ignorance TM, you know full well what I mean. Or is your memory slipping in your old age?

Recall going to the Moonee Valley races a few weeks back with a certain ex-cafer? Recall winning the trifecta in the last? And do you recall being told about a certain someone getting caught up in a betting sting? ;)

In todays Dom Post a Wellington Rugby membership form arrived complete with Huricanes in action on the front.

How they managed to find four photos that didn't show any of Andrew Hore, Ma's Nonu, Piri Weepu, Hosea Gear or Aaron Cruden is beyond me. Most of the players I didn't recognise.

In todays Dom Post a Wellington Rugby membership form arrived complete with Huricanes in action on the front.

How they managed to find four photos that didn't show any of Andrew Hore, Ma's Nonu, Piri Weepu, Hosea Gear or Aaron Cruden is beyond me. Most of the players I didn't recognise.

......it will be great to be a member of the start of a new era in Welly Rugby.

Some of those new players will go on to do us proud.

If Tim Bateman is past his use-by date he could join the Wellington Saints....a very good point guard.

I remember folks anxiety when Welly plucked a player from second grade..... Tawa's MMexted turned out OK.

Hore, Gear and Cruden were hardly Wellington-raised , they will quickly be forgotten.

Go Wellington.....Good luck MHammett !!!

....the Hurricanes to get hammered tonight ,certainly a tough one first up.

Many also expected the Highlanders to lose , but forgot they were only playing the Chiefs ,Chris Taylor's 'new' team.

Chris must be sad ,at least the Phoenix won.Maybe he was

among those that stayed 'til the bitter end at the cricket.

And even tho it is way too early to start Rugby the weekend has thrown up a few giggles.

Fancy the Blues relying on PWeepu to score the winning drop !!!

Ho,ho ho how I laughed.

I enjoyed seeing your team win tonight. Congratulations!! Once masanga liked off they pushed up the intensity, I can't understand why the chiefs never slotted the gift 3 with 12 to go, they felt they needed to cross to win the game when father time was in their corner. The rest is history

Great to see new coach Mark Ho ho ho Hammett has ironed out the Hurricanes ill-discipline. Only having three players sin-binned in one game is a massive step forward.

Tasman prop Ben May is a huge plus for the Canes with his inability to play either side of the scrum, and his apparent lack of knowledge of the rules.

Bring back Neemia Tialata and John Schwalger!

Oh, and one more thing Tasman Man: how's your twitter account going?

Ho ho ho

Canes went well I thought.

This young 5/8 looks good and will only improve.

I've got an issue with these rolling mauls.Only seem to be successful in SA with their own refs.

Blokes are cleaning out metres in front of the maul but refs only keen on penalising for collapsing it.Any sort of collapse will do for a penalty it seems.

Still fair effort by the Canes.

Find me on twitter

....a while for the refs to look at the Hurricanes in different light.

Some of the tatts and eye-liner have gone but there are still a few loose cannons there and I note the props still tape their boots on so that must be a back-room thing.

Still ,a promising start , a huge hiding was expected .

Cheer up Stephen.

As for twitter....I'm Harry Hopman....non-playing .....of no interest.

The Hurricanes went well enough to keep the fans happy. They appear to have some nice players.

However they'll need to come home with at least one win and neither the Lions nor the Force looked easy beats at the weekend.

Still ,a promising start , a huge hiding was expected .

A huge hiding was expected from anyone with an IQ of minus-a-million.

Personally, I don't expect the Canes to get a hiding from anyone; at least not in the first few weeks. Teams will get points on the board against them and then ease off, as we saw yesterday; or they'll play their not-so-top lineup (as we saw yesterday...again).

They are a young squad and so they will play with a lot of courage and will go for the full eighty, but I expect their lack of quality coaching and poor squad selections to be severely exposed once they strike a few injuries.

Their props are the worst in the comp. This Ben May has always looked like Tarzan but plays like Jane. As for the other bloke Moran...who the hell does he play for??? Young Jeff Toomaga-Allen was handed a Canes contract before he'd played a game at ITM level, and I can name at least two props in Wgtn Club Rugby that should have been selected ahead of him. For Hammett to select T-Allen ahead of Whetu Henry just shows how little he knows about front-row play, and is further evidence of why Andrew Hore struggled to have any respect for Hammett. Put simply, the creator has to be greater than that which is created, and Hammett just doesn't have the credentials or ability to be a success.

A huge hiding was expected from anyone with an IQ of minus-a-million.

Personally, I don't expect the Canes to get a hiding from anyone]

Tad harsh. or are you Chris back with another name??

Good on you true blue Canes supporters. I think if Hammer can hold on for three years then you will see some rewards. I wish you all well - and some patience.

Tad harsh. or are you Chris back with another name??

Good on you true blue Canes supporters. I think if Hammer can hold on for three years then you will see some rewards. I wish you all well - and some patience.

We're going to need even more patience now as we've just lost our No. 1 half back for the season. That elevates the 19 year old Perinara to No. 1 half to play inside the 20 year old at 1st five.

Surely we are now "The Baby Canes".

We're going to need even more patience now as we've just lost our No. 1 half back for the season. That elevates the 19 year old Perinara to No. 1 half to play inside the 20 year old at 1st five.

Surely we are now "The Baby Canes".

Honestly thought that TJ and Frae Wilson should have been the pairing from the start. Both were top age grade stars. And Frae is from Wainuiomata ... home of lotsa good rugby people ... :)

You are probably correct and it has always looked like TJ P would be an All Black one day. However, ideally that should be when he's about 22 -23 years old. Right now he's still 19 and he's not sitting behind the Crusaders or Bulls. It could be a tough year for the lad. Hope he doesn't have the confidence knocked out of him.

I thought that was a good win by the Canes.

To go to Jappieland with a newish squad and come away with a win is well dunny.

Firstly, the Lions are the easy-beats of the comp, so to have not beaten them would have been an embarrassment. However, the game played into the Hurricanes hands after 30 minutes when the game was reduced to 'golden oldie' scrums, thereby negating any penalties the Lions would undoubtedly have received from scrum infringements and the ensuing yellow cards that follow.

Secondly, the fact the Hurricanes have gone away with a new squad should not raise claim to calls for sympathy on their part. They've made their own bed so to speak.

If you think they're playing well then I suggest you think again.