RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
trakdap

Down Memory Lane

On 2/14/2012 at 9:55 PM, Gruff said:

A horse called old salt won a race at paeroa By a neck but didn't pay a dividend, was hard on the outside fence on a wet day,and wasn't seen on the judges print, the young apprentice knew he won but no body would listen when he started pleading his case! The position of the box on the outside was situated incorrectly and didnt pick the horse up.

My great-grandfather owned and raced a horse called Old Salt! :o What decade Gruff ?

On 2/16/2012 at 9:30 AM, Miles Blair said:

They certainly had some great battles in their 2yo days. Summer Haze won the Manawatu Sires Produce and Matamata Breeders stakes and Yir Tiz dead heated with Paddy Boy in the Ellerslie Sires Produce, Summer Haze didn't run.

You are correct. Sadly Summer Haze was shot grazing after retirement.

On 2/6/2019 at 10:20 AM, GraemeLT said:

DRT was apprentice to Arthur Ellis on the bend of Epsom Road. I think Mr. Ellis was one of a family of jockeys in his early days then became a trainer.

Des Tucker was indeed with A E Ellis at that address, killed in a car crash.  Arthur and his wife most kindly folk. Senior jocks of the day were Stokes, Hadfield, Mein brothers, Wilson ,Low, Eastwood, Cowan, Frank Skelton. Trainers Williams, father of peter, Jones, Tompkinson, Welton, Wadley, Murfitt, Barr, Shaw, Findlayson,  Owner trainers Tutton, Timperley, J Edgar Jones. Riccarton about these days was a busy place. Can remember Joyce Edgar Jones breaking a leg, she had a maiden horse well tried at the time 25 plus starts. Joyce worked her horses hard, the horse given to Peter Daly while Joyce recovered. Peter did not work the horse for 4-5 days lined up at Timaru Xmas meeting and won. Never again did it win or place.

I rode my bike home from high school and every afternoon Tonky was walking his 3 in work fully bandaged twice around Riccarton course proper - one day I asked why - in his soft voice he told me I can train their body each morning but I train their head each afternoon - wonderful thorough gentleman who I worked for for some10 months - his horses were treated like gold - he lived his trade - he told me never to bet but if you must select one who you think will win and place bet - wish I had listened

I can remember an elderly owner trainer from Wairau Valley, Blenheim by the name of Jack Fowler. At the age of 83 Jack lined up a horse called Silver Fountain whom won race 3 on the programme  and race 8. Said he started in the last as there were only 6 runners. This was around 1968, possibly the last thoroughbred to win 2 in a day. Mouse McCann rode her for a win at some point as did Maurice Thornley. Jack Used to drive his horses around towing a float with a Humber Snipe.

10 hours ago, TurnyTom said:

I rode my bike home from high school and every afternoon Tonky was walking his 3 in work fully bandaged twice around Riccarton course proper - one day I asked why - in his soft voice he told me I can train their body each morning but I train their head each afternoon - wonderful thorough gentleman who I worked for for some10 months - his horses were treated like gold - he lived his trade - he told me never to bet but if you must select one who you think will win and place bet - wish I had listened

Still remember Shipmate and Shipmaster, they did win some races, Tonkey the best trainer, and probably the most respected at Riccarton.

I can remember DRT in his little Renault 750? car (looked like a frog) getting 8 apprentice jockeys in it one night.

Sometimes to lose weight he and others would run around Riccarton racecourse with overcoats on and wearing gumboots.

Tonky was a master when Riccarton was a bloody tough environment - very quiet, softly spoken but amazing trainer - I remember we saddled 3 at Ashburton one day and got 2 wins and a third - he told me on the way home in Taggarts float that the one who ran third was the bet of the day, it was paying 9 quid for the win - it was Shipmate the nasty bitter

Great stories here but mainly relating to Mainlanders-    I recall when Te Aroha was busy training centre - What has 

happened to it now...Recall the likes of Nudger Lipsey, Dave Arnott, Fred Beuguely(?), Bill Hennessy, Frank Cobb,

Jimmy Whitten (owner/trainer)...I think the O'Sullivan family were there for short time...Only one left appears to be 

John  Revell who  I think started out as apprentice to Dave Arnott  along with Gary Gladwell..  Wonderful memories 

of those old timers and their struggles and their happy days.. As an aside I think John Revell now holds the colours of 

Jimmy Whitten...