RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Backseat driver

Which trainer do you trust the most?

So far quite interesting to see the names that haven't been mentioned as trusted by owners...

adding to the list:

Davina Waddell for being very accessible and easy to deal with.

Tony noonan for also being communicative and a good bloke to have a beer with (and very good for a punting owner)

And

Kevin Hughes to whom I owe a half decent horse to train instead of the two slugs I've sent him so far.

And as I mentioned earlier, Kevin and Kathleen Gray for being the friendliest, most accessible, totally trustworthy, very able horse people I know.

In choosing a trainer it mostly comes down to the geographical split of the syndicate, skill-set(some are better with fillies, stayers, sprinters, targeting Oz, jumpers), and profile (because unfortunately sometimes you need a high profile name to attract participants).

So far quite interesting to see the names that haven't been mentioned as trusted by owners...

adding to the list:

Davina Waddell for being very accessible and easy to deal with.

Tony noonan for also being communicative and a good bloke to have a beer with (and very good for a punting owner)

And

Kevin Hughes to whom I owe a half decent horse to train instead of the two slugs I've sent him so far.

And as I mentioned earlier, Kevin and Kathleen Gray for being the friendliest, most accessible, totally trustworthy, very able horse people I know.

In choosing a trainer it mostly comes down to the geographical split of the syndicate, skill-set(some are better with fillies, stayers, sprinters, targeting Oz, jumpers), and profile (because unfortunately sometimes you need a high profile name to attract participants).

You are absolutely correct. Just because some trainers have not been mentioned on here doesn't mean anything. In fact some very well performed trainers who obviously have the confidence and trust of their owners just quietly go about their business.

Don Sellwood... until he retires.

Then Dr zzz zzzzz...the man of the future.

[ Unless he is spouting forth about Trentham of which he knows nothing about except that he rode a winner there as an apprentice for one of the greatest conditioners that NZ has ever had.]

Name the Horse [that zzz rode] and the Trainer, then you will know what I am talking about.

Funny thing is that Sellwood and that great trainer of years gone by are so alike in their approach, that its airy!

Entourage & Jim Tomkinson. Whats the prize?

Hey Varro, didn't those last two organize the last hero parade?

dont know mate not into your scene. i bet you must have been full by the end of the day im sure there were plenty of sausage sizzles for you

One night at squid we got duped into going to a fancy dress party that turned out to be a university gay foam party! We hung around on noticing a group of Brazilian beautys and I ended up with the most stunning young lady You will ever see, don't knock the gays, they know how to have a good time and normally leave you alone, although my Mate Ozzie ended up getting rubbed up by one when he had his head in the foam machine.(cooked him a nice breakfast).. You sound a little up tight Varro, all good?

Entourage & Jim Tomkinson. Whats the prize?

.....from memory trained a lot of horses for a Mr Arthur Smith.

Some horses.....Cadiz, Hush Money,

Zinder ,Shipmate , Shipmaster , Zinder, Time and Tide......maybe ShudUp ,Dhow ???

Any more come to mind ????

As an aside...

Shudup was one of the best-named horses to grace the turf, in my opinion, being by Final Orders out of Natter.

A very good horse too. Unfortunately, he died after a track accident involving the running rail when being prepared for what would be Triton's Winter Cup at Riccarton.

Cheers.

Ashoka

I think Shudup and Dhow were with Jack Tutton, and are you sure it wasn't Cyril Smith, or was he another owner?.

Jim trained many decent horses, Deep Secret is another one you missed, and I think he trained another (the earlier version) good horse named Boundless.

Another fair horse was Baltic Blue.

Cyril Smith was A Smiths Son both had their horses trained by the Great Man.

One night at squid we got duped into going to a fancy dress party that turned out to be a university gay foam party! We hung around on noticing a group of Brazilian beautys and I ended up with the most stunning young lady You will ever see, don't knock the gays, they know how to have a good time and normally leave you alone, although my Mate Ozzie ended up getting rubbed up by one when he had his head in the foam machine.(cooked him a nice breakfast).. You sound a little up tight Varro, all good?

im good mate, and me? haha im never up tight. i just cant relate to having been involved in those types of partys or atmosphere. however i have some fond memories of some foam partys ive been to, hell does that bring back some good memories. and some not so good ones the morning after

I worked for Jack Tutton at the time Natter was broken in. Lovely filly. Mr Tutton was the agent for American connections who bought Zinder out of Mr Tompkinson's stable and I rode him in his trackwork before he went to the USA. I could be wrong but I think he may also have been the agent to purchase Cadiz for the USA as well.

dennis m is correct in saying that Joe Shaw trained Boundless for Mr W Williamson. I knew Joe well as I worked with him when I arrived at Riccarton as a young 16yo.

Was the track manager's name Cyril Smith or McGregor. I recall he lived in a delightful little cottage on the grounds. I also remember the welcome cups of tea in the trainers room on a cold and frosty morning.

I worked for Jack Tutton at the time Natter was broken in. Lovely filly. Mr Tutton was the agent for American connections who bought Zinder out of Mr Tompkinson's stable and I rode him in his trackwork before he went to the USA. I could be wrong but I think he may also have been the agent to purchase Cadiz for the USA as well.

dennis m is correct in saying that Joe Shaw trained Boundless for Mr W Williamson. I knew Joe well as I worked with him when I arrived at Riccarton as a young 16yo.

Was the track manager's name Cyril Smith or McGregor. I recall he lived in a delightful little cottage on the grounds. I also remember the welcome cups of tea in the trainers room on a cold and frosty morning.

You are probably right re Cyril, I can't recall his surname.

Did you know Hazel who worked for Jim Tonkinson , would be around the time you would have been there. She was a good horsewoman. Those were the days?