RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Peter Jenkins

Trivia question of the week - Who is this ?

Full marks to the Mad Scientist. Absolutely correct.

The track is the only flat, straight mile in the UK.

The Gr1 winner was Pokare, a lovely black horse, who won the Thompson Handicap at Trentham in 1986, an early Pitman feature race winner.

Claudio Nicolai was 10th in Wollow's Two Thousand Guineas (1976) while Asa Yolson, who stood at Morven Farm, Cambridge beat two home in the same race.

Claudio Nicolai stood at Don Peddie's Amberley Racecourse Stud but left just the one stakeswinner (see above) plus the Koral Steeplechase winner Consequence. He later stood at Takapau in the Southern Hawkes Bay but was destroyed after breaking a leg in 1993 at the age of 20. I seem to remember someone telling me once that he left some handy showjumpers which wasn't surprising given that he was a winner over the fences himself and possibly the last stallion imported to NZ who had achiveved this although I stand to be corrected - Ray Knight will know !

What gave it away ?

The trainer, the jockey and the description of the course.

You'd given us the year so going with my feeling that the course was Redcar, I looked through the feature races. The Gold Cup was the only one that fit, so then cross referenced the jockey and trainer.

It was actually a German website that gave me the complete answer :eek:

Wasn't able to come up with his breeder though?

Must confess I do this kind of stuff for a living (research, that is) :D

Cheers Peter, that was fun. Can we have another?!

Michelle.

Full marks to the Mad Scientist. Absolutely correct.

The track is the only flat, straight mile in the UK.

The Gr1 winner was Pokare, a lovely black horse, who won the Thompson Handicap at Trentham in 1986, an early Pitman feature race winner.

Claudio Nicolai was 10th in Wollow's Two Thousand Guineas (1976) while Asa Yolson, who stood at Morven Farm, Cambridge beat two home in the same race.

Claudio Nicolai stood at Don Peddie's Amberley Racecourse Stud but left just the one stakeswinner (see above) plus the Koral Steeplechase winner Consequence. He later stood at Takapau in the Southern Hawkes Bay but was destroyed after breaking a leg in 1993 at the age of 20. I seem to remember someone telling me once that he left some handy showjumpers which wasn't surprising given that he was a winner over the fences himself and possibly the last stallion imported to NZ who had achiveved this although I stand to be corrected - Ray Knight will know !

What gave it away ?

What was the Gr 1 race Pokare won? The Thompson was Gr 3.