RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
sulieman

Fountaincourt

Was number 12, drew 13 and came into the race after a poor 14th on the 27th after being handy early, won at otaki the start before on Dec 8 after being midfield early... Was an average field the topweight langeland carried 54.5 and half the field including the winner were on 50.5... Magistrate as an 11 yo came into the race with two duck eggs at 53 kg

phillip was the regular rider of the horse, by memory was it Cyril prefferlie from wellington that trained him. Not sure of the surname spelling. There was another rider whose name eludes me but is now living in Palmerston North that did win a big mile race on him retired from riding not long after but had a couple of handy horses that murray Baker trained out of Woodville, I think they desended from the good mare SHILLING

Pfefferle, owned by hodson, madden and Paul...was a 4yo br gelding ,pass the bottle out of promohos, cerise gold spots and sleeves,emerald green armbands and cap. Mcginty was having his first run since the David and Goliath contest with marscay on march 17 in the railway 1 1/2 hours after fountaincourts win. I think so dandy won this race after so modest won the Concorde in 1.8.68

After winning the Gosford Cup as a 5yo Fountaincourt never won another race in 48 starts so his 16 wins came in his first 58 starts !

Cyril Pfefferle (?sp) originally trained in Nelson I believe, later in partnership with his daughter (?Di). I remember him from my days at Waterlea - a real character.

Great to hear that "Nipper" had such a happy retirement with Patsy, a wonderful horsewoman.

Fountaincourt was bred by one of Wellington's well known rogues, the late Emmanuel (sp), Manny Papadopoulos (sp). He was king of the Vivian Street strip clubs and considered 'notorious' by many. You didn't tangle with Manny or his crew.

Despite his underworld connections and fearful reputation he could be a generous man (known to tip well) to those who got to know him a little (away from the 'dark side' of his life). My experience of this being gained through serving him at his 'local' TAB. One had to get through his thick Greek accent and tough, grumpy persona to expose a softer, kinder side to this larger-than-life character of a man. Discussing his love of the thoroghbred was a means of doing this.

He was punter of note who regularly inhabited the Courtenay Place, TAB during the 1980's, sometimes accompanied by a 'minder'. Fountaincourt was much loved by him and his excitement when Nipper won or ran a great race was totally infectuous. Those standing near him were at risk of being inadvertantly being 'thumped' by his flailing arms such was his immense enthusiasm.

Oh the memories....

Yes Lynn. In talking to people I got a lot of colourful hearsay from a long time trainer who had trained horses for that Wellington connection. Stuff I would have loved to have written but felt I couldnt.

Also you may have read that Patsy rescued Nipper. I heard that the people who had his care were 'detained' but again thats hearsay.

There is no way Nipper would have made a middling age let alone 33 without the love of Patsy and the girls

Yes Lynn. In talking to people I got a lot of colourful hearsay from a long time trainer who had trained horses for that Wellington connection. Stuff I would have loved to have written but felt I couldnt.

Also you may have read that Patsy rescued Nipper. I heard that the people who had his care were 'detained' but again thats hearsay.

There is no way Nipper would have made a middling age let alone 33 without the love of Patsy and the girls

I'm sure you could probably write an entire book on those tales as told to you. I could also write a similar book from my time spent at the Courtenay Place TAB during the 1980's. So many characters from the very rich, the very poor, the rogues and the local celebs all spent time in the establishment. Those tales would likely make people both laugh and cry in reading them but to me they just meld into something truly memorable.

I'm delighted that Nipper was well looked after and much loved by Patsy and co. in his retirement. So many thoroughbreds don't meet such a fortunate fate when their days on the track end. Thanks, Patsy.

Pfefferle, owned by hodson, madden and Paul...was a 4yo br gelding ,pass the bottle out of promohos, cerise gold spots and sleeves,emerald green armbands and cap. Mcginty was having his first run since the David and Goliath contest with marscay on march 17 in the railway 1 1/2 hours after fountaincourts win. I think so dandy won this race after so modest won the Concorde in 1.8.68

I was there that day - remember McGinty's first start back [in the Railway!!!!] which So Dandy won by 5 lengths. I still have some old place mats at home with some wonderful shots of those 80's horses and there is a nice shot of Fountaincourt with NGH up at Ellerslie. The others in the series are Kiwi with a young Jimmy Cassidy, McGinty at Trentham [also with Jimmy Cassidy up - RD must have been suspended], Prince Majestic with G Cooksley, Axeman & Warwick Robinson - what a magnificent specimen Axeman was! Some great horses and memories there.........

You paid $2.50 to get in and 80c for a racecard that year lloyd, sir sian was having his first start in race 1, as first emergency, I'm Henry was having his 2nd start after running 9th at puke running on, a year later wins the derby

You paid $2.50 to get in and 80c for a racecard that year lloyd, sir sian was having his first start in race 1, as first emergency, I'm Henry was having his 2nd start after running 9th at puke running on, a year later wins the derby

Yep - I'm Henry - last Non-stud book winner of the Derby and last we'll probably ever see...

Reminds me of a story.

{He boarded the plane early and idly watched people take their seats. the seat next to him was empty. Then just before the door closed the most divine looking woman he had ever seen, walked down the aisle----- And sat down next to him.

He was dying to talk to her. He said, "Going away; business or pleasure?" She said, "Business. I am doing a lecture at a Nymphomaniacs conference in which I dispel myths on men as found from my research and experience"

He said, "Oh what are they" She said, "Well it is thought that the American black men are best endowed. But I have found it is the American Indian. Then it is said that Italian men are the best lovers when it is in fact the Greek men. And in fact the kindest lovers are Irishmen."

Then she stopped and said, "I shouldnt be telling you this stuff I dont even know your name." He said. "Its Tonto Papadopoulus but my friends call me Paddy"}

For you nostalgia buffs on November 2011 issue is another story 'The Filbert - The Forgotten Horse'.

Can any connection give me some stuff so I can do another on an erstwhile warrior of the turf. I will tell your story with respect. Please PM me. Regards Neil M

Fountaincourt was bred by one of Wellington's well known rogues, the late Emmanuel (sp), Manny Papadopoulos (sp). He was king of the Vivian Street strip clubs and considered 'notorious' by many. You didn't tangle with Manny or his crew.

Despite his underworld connections and fearful reputation he could be a generous man (known to tip well) to those who got to know him a little (away from the 'dark side' of his life). My experience of this being gained through serving him at his 'local' TAB. One had to get through his thick Greek accent and tough, grumpy persona to expose a softer, kinder side to this larger-than-life character of a man. Discussing his love of the thoroghbred was a means of doing this.

He was punter of note who regularly inhabited the Courtenay Place, TAB during the 1980's, sometimes accompanied by a 'minder'. Fountaincourt was much loved by him and his excitement when Nipper won or ran a great race was totally infectuous. Those standing near him were at risk of being inadvertantly being 'thumped' by his flailing arms such was his immense enthusiasm.

Oh the memories....

my clients when he ran the strip club called Club Exotique..i saw 1 of his daughters just a few weeks back

interesting character who went to jail for

"'presenting an indecent performance"

today he would have got a Queens medal