RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
kopia

The 'high cost'of housing in NZ ?

Is anyone else tired of so-called experts constantly telling us housing in NZ is vastly over-priced? These people wouldn't have an agenda of their own would they? After years of so-called financial experts ripping off millions-if not billions-in 'Finance Company' scams,why wouldn't you feel safer having your dosh in a house you live in or even rent out? At least you can see it, touch it, smell it even! I don't have any personal incentive in saying this, but I have had a gutsful of 'expert' people telling ordinary people they are stupid having their money in their own property,even if it is-in their eyes- 'over-priced!

i agree most are over priced... rentals and those for sale..

in southland, gore/mataura... houses range from $50,00 to $300,00+

50% are quite nice houses, the rest need a bulldozer to flaten them..

rentals .in mataura as above the bulldozers should have been called in after the flooding in 70's .. water marks still in many houses and black mould in quite a few as well ,and many in gore no better...many of the landlords just plain lazy to fix them and bring them up to a safe/livable standard...the house were we live ..the landlady recently put up the rent cause she had given up work(had a baby) and wasn't making any money on her mortage for the house..that actually is againt rules and we should had talked to the tenancy tribunial first... the house is in bad need of an up grade... maybe $20-30,000 but that will never happen.she is now putting the house on the market...had offered it to us to buy but we rejected..the offer..

i agree most are over priced... rentals and those for sale..

in southland, gore/mataura... houses range from $50,00 to $300,00+

50% are quite nice houses, the rest need a bulldozer to flaten them..

rentals .in mataura as above the bulldozers should have been called in after the flooding in 70's .. water marks still in many houses and black mould in quite a few as well ,and many in gore no better...many of the landlords just plain lazy to fix them and bring them up to a safe/livable standard...the house were we live ..the landlady recently put up the rent cause she had given up work(had a baby) and wasn't making any money on her mortage for the house..that actually is againt rules and we should had talked to the tenancy tribunial first... the house is in bad need of an up grade... maybe $20-30,000 but that will never happen.she is now putting the house on the market...had offered it to us to buy but we rejected..the offer..

I'm not necessarily saying houses are too expensive-prices are set by the buyer and seller agreeing on a value-usually-similar to horse sales. What I'm getting at is the hypocrisy of the 'experts' being critical of house prices when many of them are guilty of ripping huge sums off ordinary people on the strength of their own bullshit prospectuses.

I think it is excellent that so much data is available quite readily now.

Allows people to make up there own mind, independent of the so called experts(usually with agenda's), as to whether to invest in housing.

After all many people have had to face the the unpalatable reality of negative equity.

The affordability index has been around for a while, and NZ has long been in the top few of least affordable.

For a healthy society, the UN suggested index is 3.

NZ has been 6-7 for quite a few years.

In other words, the average house price is 6-7 times the average wage.

Hesi is spot on. Whether housing is over priced or not isn't the point. The fact is that housing is now much less affordable to Joe Average NZ'r than it was 25 years ago. When you live in a country that has always put much store in owning your own castle (unlike European countries where they are more happy to rent) then this is a major problem.

The simple fact is we are going to go through a global meltdown in the next decade, there is no scope in buying property especially in an over priced market like so many places in NZ.

It is unsustainadble to continue to rise in the near future, property is no safe haven in the near future.