RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Henri Jooste

Johar

Former shuttle sire Johar has proved to be a good sire of fillies in New Zealand. From his first crop of 66 foals he has sired the smart fillies Fazzle, Guiseppina and Veronica Franco. His second crop of 44 foals produced Australian GR2 winner Folding Gear.

In the USA he has sired some good stakes winners too including Keertana (2nd GR1 Breeders Cup Fillies and Mares Turf) from his first two crops, as well as the good Canadian 2 year old filly Tu Endie Wei this season.

Johar developed a reputation for being hot tempered, a trait which he has passed on and also his stock were not the most attractive specimens in the sales ring. This begs the question, would you consider a sire such as Johar had he remained in NZ given his results at stud so far ?

No.

Nice families those horses you named. purhaps thats their key?

Given that all first season stallions get good families sent to them. There has been plenty of flops that have had the top bracket of families sent to them and been flops. Sounds to me like the stallion is doing a great job, additionally, High Chapperal's progeny are not the most attractive horses in the sale ring but once he got the results they were hot property. So I think the answer in my unbiased opinion is yes he has done a great job producing nice racehorses

Johar developed a reputation for being hot tempered, a trait which he has passed on and also his stock were not the most attractive specimens in the sales ring. This begs the question, would you consider a sire such as Johar had he remained in NZ given his results at stud so far ?

I remember Zabeel had a similar reputation when he was an unknown stallion, he seems to have turned out ok?

Thanks Dopey for your short and succinct reply, and for your more expansive response Optical. I thought that I would wait and see if there were any further contributions but as usual there was an overwhelming burst of indifference !

I am intrigued by Johar firstly because of his racing performance. He was a high class racehorse who excelled on turf and could get a middle distance. Johar dead heated in the Breeders Cup Turf (2400m)with none other than High Chaparral. Johar also has a fine pedigree which is devoid of Northern Dancer blood which sets him up as an ideal broodmare sire. The other aspect of his pedigree is the line breeding to Somethingroyal 4x5 and also Mixed Marriage 4x5. To me his pedigree shouts broodmare sire and his excellent fillies underline this viewpoint.

Reviewing the results posted by the first crop sires with whom Johar stood in NZ in 2005 he has posted satisfactory results. High Chaparral had a stand out foal crop, 7 individual stakes winners from 98 foals followed by Savabeel

Henri, the other positive aspect to Johar is that he performed at his best when he was an older horse. He came from a good way off them to catch HC on the post at the Breeders Cup and the third horse that year was a huge horse both physically and in performance terms.

Johar is a good looker and has passed on that value, mainly to the females. He will leave good broodmare prospects, but he will leave more class performers than Defensive Play as he has produced more range in their distance indexes, 1200m to 2200m. DF and Prized tended to be 1600 plus. DF left good sized mares but I am not sure the Johars are all big in size.

For mine if the horse had continued to shuttle he would be looked upon as doing very well if the initial momentum was continuing.

The momentum continued today with a performance by Guiseppina that was up there with the very very best.

It took the daughter of Johar just 1.06.94 to claim her Group One in the Nation's greatest sprint race.