say no more

Changes at TAB retail stores

Was chatting to the guy who works at one of my (two) local TAB outlets and realised that I have now reached that stage where I'm one of those old people bemoaning the changes they're making at the TAB to go digital and save costs.   I've been comfortable with most of the previous changes (eg. no phonebet) but this one has tipped me over the edge.

They're replacing the printed sheets on the walls at the TAB outlets, with those touch screen monitors where you can look at the days races/form.

I know this will save a heap on paper/ink and they are cutting back on staff hours because they don't need to print and put up the sheets, but for me this is a another nail in the coffin of retail stores.

The printed sheets are so much easier to access and to use - easy to run your eye over the whole field and jump from race to race without having to scroll up and down or exit and find the next race.   You can also have 2 or 3 people looking at the same sheets at the same time.

and what about the majority of customers at my local(s) who can't even use an SST.  How on earth are they going to navigate their way around those screens?

Rant over!

Yours

Digital dinosaur

39 minutes ago, say no more said:

Was chatting to the guy who works at one of my (two) local TAB outlets and realised that I have now reached that stage where I'm one of those old people bemoaning the changes they're making at the TAB to go digital and save costs.   I've been comfortable with most of the previous changes (eg. no phonebet) but this one has tipped me over the edge.

They're replacing the printed sheets on the walls at the TAB outlets, with those touch screen monitors where you can look at the days races/form.

I know this will save a heap on paper/ink and they are cutting back on staff hours because they don't need to print and put up the sheets, but for me this is a another nail in the coffin of retail stores.

The printed sheets are so much easier to access and to use - easy to run your eye over the whole field and jump from race to race without having to scroll up and down or exit and find the next race.   You can also have 2 or 3 people looking at the same sheets at the same time.

and what about the majority of customers at my local(s) who can't even use an SST.  How on earth are they going to navigate their way around those screens?

Rant over!

Yours

Digital dinosaur

Absolutey agree John - the world is being devalued at a fast rate in the interest of Digital Cost savings 😪 The human touch is not of any worth, it seems ...

What human touch Alf?? .....Try calling BitCoin head office ho ho ho .....an industry worth many Billions of $$$$$$$$$$$$ and no human available...... you have to feel for the bloke that lost his PIN number and along with it $8 million dollars.

My gripe with the TAB is their Jet Bet Slips. Often creased and fail to go through the scanning process. I suppose this is what you get for tendering out to the lowest tender for their printing.

Al .....that just means your ageing mate like all of us! 😡 .....and age, whilst it means we have lived a good life also means we hate change like the plague!

I didn't even want to switch to SKY'S new wonder MYSKY unit today until they told me it does everything except tell Alexa to make your coffee! ......so we just have to accept the world is going digital damn it.

The other thing I hate is when the TAB run a competition and say..... 'Just go on FaceBook or Twitter or Tik Tok to enter' .....HEY what about us .....wev'e been customers for 60 years but don't do social media so your not valuing us at all.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr 😡!!!

Everyone loved being there Demo

Problem Today is people don't have any spare $$$ and families do not go to the track, they go to the mall.....it's over . Cash up and move on . I've seen more shit rides than ever and the economic squeeze brings in all sorts of rides . 

14 hours ago, TurnyTom said:

I still miss the handwritten yellow tickets when you had to put your bet on an hour and a half before the race and couldn’t collect till the next day

And they call this progress

Yes technology they say how great it is, that's until the power goes out, ya see it in the supermarket, very minimal have cash, I'd had to see the world if the internet was down for a couple of weeks, the world would be in chaos. 

On 6/14/2024 at 3:35 PM, Bimbo said:

Haven't you seen the advertising?  No need for printed sheets or touch screens.  Just wait until you get a hunch and then get your bet on.

My God, I cringe when I see that AD, mute button .. they didn't even think to use Sam Spratt effectively, you just get a nano second glimpse of one of racings great personalities. And I note no reference to Harness or Greyhounds. I don't quite understand why Popplewell rambles on about American football all the time either.