Chris Wood

Cambridge Legend passes RIP Gary Edge

RIP G R Edge ......what a man ....and what a jock.......could he rate one in front or what!

First punt I ever had was 10 bob for a place on Sydney at TeAroha in 1966 .....it ran 3rd paying 10 quid the drum .....and the jockey was ....G R EDGE..... he got me truly hooked forever more......but I had a good reason for betting on it as a rookie punter ....my Mum used to play Bridge with his Mum in Cambridge so there was a connection.😀.

A true gentleman as Chris said.

Thanks Chris. Garry was a living legend. His recall of races he rode in 50-60 years ago was amazing. I learnt so much while chatting with him! For the record Garry rode 740 winners in NZ. His first win was on the 23/4/55 at Te Aroha on Sweet Wren trained by his boss Wally Townsend. He named his immaculate farm on St Kilda Road Sweet Wren Lodge after her. His best season was 1965-66 when he rode 53 winners finishing 4= on the Jockeys Premiership. He was in the top 10 jockeys a total of 10 times. His biggest win was the 1972 Australian Cup on Jan's Beau. He won the 1964 Auckland Cup on Senor. Wills Champion Stakes 3 times. Clifford Plate 3 times. 1962 Easter on Otematata and 1963 on Final Command. The 1962 Railway on Otematata and 1963 on Pipe Dream. 1965 GN Guineas on Urupukapuka 1969 on Piko 1976 on Vice Regal. Kings Plate 3 times. 1962 GN Derby on Tatua 1968 on Bardall 1969 on Piko. 3 Gt Northern St Legers. 1963 GN Oaks on Noranda 1967 on Dee Dee and 1976 on Mer'Cler. 2 Avondale Cups. 4 Taumaranui Cups.5 Waikato Guineas. 1965 Foxbridge Plate on Urupukapuka 1969 and 1971 on Bardall. The first horse he ever sat on was Foxbridge when he was only 4. His Dad took him to Trewlaney Stud and stud groom Syd Marsh lifted him aboard Foxbridge. 1972 NZ St Leger on Llananthony. An outstanding jockey and a real gentleman.

We had a lot of fun with a horse got left with, he wanted me to take it, I wasn’t to keen but he had spelled a lot of horses for me over the years and I wanted to help him out.

i took the horse and he turned out a handy fellow, name after Garry and I, Wooden Edge.

i syndicated him amongst stable clients, Viktoria Gatu one numerous races on him.

Leggy Garry was 84. His family was well known in Cambridge. His brother Wayne was a barber in the main street for over 50 years. Their father was the barber for many years- cut my hair when I was a young fella!

3 hours ago, gubellini said:

Leggy Garry was 84. His family was well known in Cambridge. His brother Wayne was a barber in the main street for over 50 years. Their father was the barber for many years- cut my hair when I was a young fella!

Thanks Jim for all your brilliant remembrances of G R .

And you were with Gary near the time he died.

Gary's brother Wayne also trimmed my hair ! I had forgotten that until your post.

Obviously if Gary's  dad cut your hair, you are so much older than me.

It is Great that, Chris Wood , the good bloke, posted on here today about Wood N Edge .

Pretty sure he rode a warhorse called Gene which won both days of a Auckland Anniversary Weekend at Ellerslie i was there with my father . Maybe wrong

Jans Beau a great racehorse.

A really nice person/

Fiery Falcoln Gene won 17 races from 97 starts but Garry never won on him. Murray Long 5, Norm Holland 4, Keith Nuttall, Bill Skelton and Ken Reggett 2 each and Gordon Colven and Danny Weatherley 1 each.

I remember Gary Winning on My Dads horse  Brandee at Matamata when I was only a school boy. He always looked the same and was so friendly.

One of our Great Jockeys I followed. RIP Gary