Friend Family

Graeme Rogerson & Dylan Ferguson training partnership.

Thanks Frankie ......Rogie's been through a few co-trainers now.....wonder why.

He's had a few good ones too .....Gavin Smith ....Steven Reid ....Peter Simpson... Peter Blanchard ....Dylan Ferguson......who will be next? .....maybe he could bring Michelle Northcott into the training ranks as she is an excellent horse person.

Good luck to whoever he lines up......we need more horses racing up north....those 7 horse fields at Alex Park are doing nothing for the growth of the industry.

1 hour ago, Friend Family said:

Thanks Frankie ......Rogie's been through a few co-trainers now.....wonder why.

He's had a few good ones too .....Gavin Smith ....Steven Reid ....Peter Simpson... Peter Blanchard ....Dylan Ferguson......who will be next? .....maybe he could bring Michelle Northcott into the training ranks as she is an excellent horse person.

Good luck to whoever he lines up......we need more horses racing up north....those 7 horse fields at Alex Park are doing nothing for the growth of the industry.

A bit like why the Purdon team had up split up all those years ago, when Mark headed to Christchurch.

At the time No ONE was betting on the Alexander Park races as the Purdons' dominated and one couldn't work out who might win.

What's wrong in that 3/4's of NZ's population lives in the North [Auckland and environs] yet the ownership participation is so pathetic?

Correct Liz .....the south will always be the 'home of harness racing' .....BUT the money in Auckland should be able to grow the horse population.

I honestly believe that with the leisure dollar being spread so thin these days Harness has just taken a back seat which is sad but true.

Back in the 70's and 80's Alex Park was 'rocking' every Fri night .....I couldn't wait to get on track each week...... them were the days.....and they will never be as strong again but it should be sustainable with the population base as you point out.

Lets just hope with the rise in stake money it will promote growth.

Dylan Ferguson has done an outstanding job. I'm sure he'll find a spot somewhere. There's a very prominent stable with the best possible facilities and best breed horses available which continues to have their horses run down the track, especially up north. I wonder if they are smart enough to take him on as their new trainer?

On 5/20/2024 at 4:22 AM, Friend Family said:

Correct Liz .....the south will always be the 'home of harness racing' .....BUT the money in Auckland should be able to grow the horse population.

I honestly believe that with the leisure dollar being spread so thin these days Harness has just taken a back seat which is sad but true.

Back in the 70's and 80's Alex Park was 'rocking' every Fri night .....I couldn't wait to get on track each week...... them were the days.....and they will never be as strong again but it should be sustainable with the population base as you point out.

Lets just hope with the rise in stake money it will promote growth.

I can see Harness Racing in the North ending in the next 10 years . You think of trainers like Luk Chin and the smaller stables no doubt will end soon . Mike Berger summed it up as well when he gave it away 

21 hours ago, Friend Family said:

Well Charlie ....that would be a dead-set catastrophe if it did ......but I can see where your coming from.😢.

Its a shame because back in the 70's , 80's I was in the game . First worked for Len Bayer and Brian Barlett and it was so exciting back then even in the 80's too . I think people maybe not motivated anymore , the game is very hard , long hours , no money . I think that has a lot to do with the dwindling numbers as well as the cost of living now 

the time and stress getting to the park on a Friday that bloody motorway must have some influence with some thinking it just not worth the trouble  

2 hours ago, eljay said:

Nothing wrong with the motorway - just too many cars on it.     Was planned and built before government decided to let immigrants in willy nilly 

What I think sad is that our industry has been visibly poor at wooing wealthy new immigrants originating from countries where gambling is part of their culture. This is particularly important in Auckland where over 25% of the population is of Asian descent. Perhaps HRNZ and/or ATC could run a workshop to give staff and interested trainers the know-how and confidence to attract and keep new participants from different cultures. 

15 hours ago, Nelli said:

What I think sad is that our industry has been visibly poor at wooing wealthy new immigrants originating from countries where gambling is part of their culture. This is particularly important in Auckland where over 25% of the population is of Asian descent. Perhaps HRNZ and/or ATC could run a workshop to give staff and interested trainers the know-how and confidence to attract and keep new participants from different cultures. 

Agreed. Marketing of the industry in general is woeful - or non-existent.

Rogie hasn't appointed a new partner yet has he? ......I can't see him driving all the trackwork in the rain and mud over the winter  ......so maybe he could consider bringing one of the Butt's back from Australia as Tim has handed in his licence after trying Sydney, Melbourne, and Queensland without success and losing the NZ cup winner Swayzee to Grimson ......and Anthony struggles to get drives in Melbourne and trains a few slow ones to fill in his days.

If one of them could be tempted back to NZ like Josh Dickie was that would bolster the northern harness scene which is sorely needed going forward......but maybe they are both HAPPY 😀 which beats everything else in life as happiness is paramount.

4 hours ago, Friend Family said:

Rogie hasn't appointed a new partner yet has he? .....

Can't believe he would even bother. Time to pack it in. 68 starts for 5 wins this season and lies 60th on the NZ Trainers ladder. Harness Racing on a one-way track out of town.

Yeah ....I think he just likes being involved .....its a wonder he hasn't taken out a Dog licence as well......he could take them all for a walk together because lets face it most of them ARE walkers! 🤣 🙃 🤣......and the one GOOD horse he had that won the NSW Derby he managed to turn that into a walker as well by over-racing the poor animal.

54 minutes ago, Friend Family said:

Yeah ....I think he just likes being involved .....its a wonder he hasn't taken out a Dog licence as well......he could take them all for a walk together because lets face it most of them ARE walkers! 🤣 🙃 🤣......and the one GOOD horse he had that won the NSW Derby he managed to turn that into a walker as well by over-racing the poor animal.

Well he did Win the NZ Derby with Sharp N Smart as well. and also beaten just half a length 2nd in the Victoria Derby in the Spring carnival 22'.

A pretty good training feat by the Team Rogerson. I'm sure they're very proud of their horse .

Sharp N Smart has Won near $3,000,000 too,  so not too shabby for a 5 year old walker. 😅

Think Merv Butterworth  is part of the owners party in him too ( dual Nz trotting Cup 🏆 winner Copy That owner)

16 hours ago, Friend Family said:

I wish l could walk as fast 🤣

20 hours ago, chevy86 said:

Can't believe he would even bother. Time to pack it in. 68 starts for 5 wins this season and lies 60th on the NZ Trainers ladder. Harness Racing on a one-way track out of town.

Who do you propose trains his 10 homebred weanlings, mostly by What The Hill and Sweet Lou?

Or the 10 mares in foal in to the same sires? What about his eight yearlings or 10 juveniles?