RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Scotch Thistle

Where do jockeys' costs fall?

A couple of days ago I read that Jonathan Parkes is to ride Hiflyer when it races soon in Sydney, rather than a local jockey.

This got me wondering in general terms who coughs up for the expenses of NZ jockeys engaged for long distance meetings.

Apart from the mandatory riding fee, and the stakes percentage (if any), is it the case that deals are negotiated ride by ride by jockeys' agents?  Is there a general pattern?

I suppose any NZ jockey would happily meet their own costs to ride the rank outsider in the Melbourne Cup.  I doubt any sought after northern jockey would pay their way for a ride at Waterlea or Washdyke.

I'm pretty sure the likes of Sam Collett and Lisa Allpress cover their own costs when travelling south on a general basis.... I know Sam was rueing the cost of the venture south on one occasion.

Obviously though,  if a particular stable or owner wishes to use the services of a northern rider out of their normal routine,  then they will pay.

Same with the jumpers although there is [ or was ] a small contribution from clubs through NZTR.

I know of one former AUS jockey who rode an AUS horse in the Kings Stand Stakes at Royal Ascot who was flown up there by the connections in economy!......he paid for the upgrade home himself. You would think the owners would cough for business class wouldn't you?......24 hours in economy and then expected to to do the business? in this case I'm in the jocks corner.

Jockeys are expected to get to the race meeting at their own expense.   However

what frequently happens is a trainer may want a particular South Island   jockey to ride

for him at Elleslie. A a result negotiations will take place and the  jockey will usually be paid his travel costs

Last weekend   Jockey Johnson had the choice of riding at Trentham or Ruakaka. There were only 4 races he could have ridden in at Trentham but 8 at Ruakaka.he went to Ruakaka at his own expense .He had 7 rides. 2 wins a good second.A profitable day for him

A couple  of years ago CWJ rode Natuzzi  in Melbourne   the owner paid all expenses  including accomodation

It all depends on the circumstances.

Hey Scotch Thistle,

I was engaged for a ride in the Melbourne Cup, But I told the connections it felt sore.

The got the vets & did all the tests & said no he was fine.

I said if you start him can you get another jockey.

I flew back to NZ & won 2 races .

They flew J.J.Miller over from Western Australia.

He beat the Ambulance by 1/2 head.

The ambulance driver was fined $500 for not trying.

On 7/22/2018 at 11:00 AM, rumpole said:

Jockeys are expected to get to the race meeting at their own expense.   However

what frequently happens is a trainer may want a particular South Island   jockey to ride

for him at Elleslie. A a result negotiations will take place and the  jockey will usually be paid his travel costs

Last weekend   Jockey Johnson had the choice of riding at Trentham or Ruakaka. There were only 4 races he could have ridden in at Trentham but 8 at Ruakaka.he went to Ruakaka at his own expense .He had 7 rides. 2 wins a good second.A profitable day for him

A couple  of years ago CWJ rode Natuzzi  in Melbourne   the owner paid all expenses  including accomodation

It all depends on the circumstances.

It all depends on the circumstances for sure. Where was Johnson coming from? If he was flying it's not easy to get a fare just from Auckland to Whangarei one-way for under $150 plus usual time delays in connecting flights so he would need a full book before considering it.