RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Blue

Memories

I put this on the TB side too but some don't go there.

Doing renovations, my son came across an old page from the Herald, Circa May '67 though no discernable date and ironically the racing page. I'd say the first day of the Te Rapa winter meeting. Anyways here's a memory or two. The Te Rapa TAB double was Michael & Mali Peter, pd 672 pounds 10s. On course double was Kumai andBombay @ 13 pounds 3s 6d. Otaki double Town Guard & Bostock, Poverty Bay Watchet & Odeon;  Amberley, Kalimera & Basilio; Winton, Cassbridge &Lovely Day. No shortage of race meetings. Can give a bit more detail if you want it.

Alexandra Park, and I might well have been there as I missed very few meetings back then. Big race was won by Oakhampton by a head over Miles Gentry and Top Copy. Winning stake was 750 pounds. Governor Frost won the FFA.   

The main trot was won by Immortal in the hands of the late John Butcher followed by Mountain Pride with Scotleigh, beaten by a neck and a long neck third off 54 yard handicap.  Roydon Frost won the minor trot driven by Doug Mangos running the two miles in a tick over 4:21. We had to pay to get in in those days and it was reported the crowd at the trots was 8373, about 1000 down on the same night a year earlier. Did the rot begin way back then?? Gate takings were down by 293 pounds. Maybe I'm a morbid old bugger but I just love reliving those days. Still great brain food.