RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Ohokaman

And this bloke will save the Industry.....???

Poor old Winston has imbibed once too often it seems. His latest pie in sky lunacy regarding housing requires Auckland house prices to drop 80%.

On the plus side, the average wage will need to be $210k a year......:rolleyes:

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics/2018/06/winston-peters-fantastical-housing-goal-for-low-income-kiwis.html

19 hours ago, Ohokaman said:

Poor old Winston has imbibed once too often it seems. His latest pie in sky lunacy regarding housing requires Auckland house prices to drop 80%.

On the plus side, the average wage will need to be $210k a year......:rolleyes:

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics/2018/06/winston-peters-fantastical-housing-goal-for-low-income-kiwis.html

I think the media have twisted what he said a wee bit and ran with it in fairness to him.

There are a number of countries (incl NZ) whose political system has let them down. Australia have people in the Senate, some who got “less than 150 votes in total”, holding Govt Legislation up and demanding deals before they will vote for legislation. Less than 150 f#%king votes! In NZ you have A Foreign Minister/Deputy PM (acting PM) who was voted out of Office!! In the Phillipines, you have a Leader who shoots and kills his opponents and crims - I think he’s up to 20,000 by now. The world is a strange place. The Queensland Govt is hitting betting operators with a 15% POC tax and is not returning any of it back to the Racing Industry - despite the fact that a similar tax in SOuth Aust has killed their Industry and in Victoria (4.3%) and NSW (going progressively down to 4.3% by 2022) racing is thriving. Why? Because Vic/NSW are returning the tax to the Industry. Then there’s NZ Racing. The world’s gone mad. Ladbrokes will sack 300 Qld workers and move its operations and focus on NSW/Vic. The result? Less tax for Qld Govt and a loss for Qld Racing. Idiots. 

Re NSW and Victoria returning the tax to the industry it must only be a percentage of the tax taken  returned otherwise why tax, therefore it's the amount of tax returned that's at issue. If the whole lot is returned is it only then to the benefit of the bean counters not the people of NSW /VIC or the industry participants. The person on the street who's struggling to pay ever above inflation increasing rates, regional petrol taxes, etc etc must find it bit odd when they only hear of millions splashed out at Karaka each year or horses going to HK for seven figure sums , then the industry asks for tax breaks . Not sure how the industry makes the worker who is doing the hard yards digging a road on a hot day realise it is in fact struggling when all they see is the caviar and champagne on TV news come Feb sales time, and needs some of his tax dollars. It's hard to explain to them some poor buggers on minimum wage mucking out crap at some early hour in mid winter and they don't have caviar on toast from breakfast.

4 hours ago, Trump said:

In NZ you have A Foreign Minister/Deputy PM (acting PM) who was voted out of Office!!

He got voted out of his electorate, Bill English didn't stand in electorate so that's actually quite irrelevant. I think the better point to make would be the fact that he got seven percent of the vote and is PM.

5 hours ago, Trump said:

There are a number of countries (incl NZ) whose political system has let them down. Australia have people in the Senate, some who got “less than 150 votes in total”, holding Govt Legislation up and demanding deals before they will vote for legislation. Less than 150 f#%king votes! In NZ you have A Foreign Minister/Deputy PM (acting PM) who was voted out of Office!! In the Phillipines, you have a Leader who shoots and kills his opponents and crims - I think he’s up to 20,000 by now. The world is a strange place. The Queensland Govt is hitting betting operators with a 15% POC tax and is not returning any of it back to the Racing Industry - despite the fact that a similar tax in SOuth Aust has killed their Industry and in Victoria (4.3%) and NSW (going progressively down to 4.3% by 2022) racing is thriving. Why? Because Vic/NSW are returning the tax to the Industry. Then there’s NZ Racing. The world’s gone mad. Ladbrokes will sack 300 Qld workers and move its operations and focus on NSW/Vic. The result? Less tax for Qld Govt and a loss for Qld Racing. Idiots. 

There is no cure for political stupidity, its even worse for bureaucrats who have to implement stupid ides.

2 hours ago, Red Rum said:

Re NSW and Victoria returning the tax to the industry it must only be a percentage of the tax taken  returned otherwise why tax, therefore it's the amount of tax returned that's at issue. If the whole lot is returned is it only then to the benefit of the bean counters not the people of NSW /VIC or the industry participants. The person on the street who's struggling to pay ever above inflation increasing rates, regional petrol taxes, etc etc must find it bit odd when they only hear of millions splashed out at Karaka each year or horses going to HK for seven figure sums , then the industry asks for tax breaks . Not sure how the industry makes the worker who is doing the hard yards digging a road on a hot day realise it is in fact struggling when all they see is the caviar and champagne on TV news come Feb sales time, and needs some of his tax dollars. It's hard to explain to them some poor buggers on minimum wage mucking out crap at some early hour in mid winter and they don't have caviar on toast from breakfast.

It might help if the distinctions between the different components of the racing industry were clearer to the road worker.  So too the differences between the financial returns to the top players in each component compared to those of the average and the strugglers. 

NZTR might be expected to promote understanding of the state of the NZ industry on behalf of those battling to continue participating in it. It is galling when NZTR's Racing Desk runs an article about Rachel Frost relocating to Victoria with a string of horses but doesn't report why she gave up on NZ (Racecafers know, but the average newspaper reader probably wonders given that Winston is supposedly throwing money at the industry).

7 hours ago, Red Rum said:

This POC Tax was/is put in place to ensure that Corporate Betting Operators (Ladbrokes etc) pay their dues. This is on top of GST, Company Tax, PAYE etc. The Qld Govt are going to Tax at “15%”!! and return ZERO to the racing industry. Idiots. 

On 6/27/2018 at 3:25 AM, poundforpound said:

Maybe the answer is to acquire a house the way Winston allegedly did, just google Jan Trotman, his wealthy partner.

Oddly enough she was GM of a pharmaceutical company, Janssen, part of the Johnson and Johnson conglomerate, and in their portfolio they have a variety of drugs used to treat Alzheimer’s and dementia.

I’m not suggesting Whiskey has either of the above medical conditions, simply because I don’t know, but I do know one thing, he’s migrating from being bitter and twisted to dysfunctional and delusional, despite having Grant Robertson’s arm up his chutney, moving his jaw for him.

Talk to your missus Whiskey, you need to sort out your thinking, and what you say.

'Maybe the answer is to acquire a house the way Winston allegedly did, just google Jan Trotman, his wealthy partner.'.....

Winston has never needed Robertson or anyone else to do his talking for him.Has over 40 years in politics ,a distinguished career and has achieved far more than many ,who received Knighthoods for...turning up.

19 July 2018, 4:08 p.m.

Three all-weather tracks for NZ

Racing Minister Winston Peters announced at a public meeting held in Invercargill on Wednesday night that three all-weather tracks have been earmarked for construction around New Zealand.

As reported by the Otago Daily Times, he said each track would be financed through the provincial growth fund.

''We know that we are going to have to have three all-weather tracks in this country.''

''There will be one probably around the Waikato, there will be one probably around Awapuni - I don't know where exactly - and one in the South Island.

''Likely to be near Christchurch. You can't muck around, you can't have 38, 46 events being cancelled and all the losses involved.''

''This will be funded, I might add, by the provincial growth fund, but we want clubs to put their share up as well.''

1 hour ago, barryb said:

19 July 2018, 4:08 p.m.

Three all-weather tracks for NZ

Racing Minister Winston Peters announced at a public meeting held in Invercargill on Wednesday night that three all-weather tracks have been earmarked for construction around New Zealand.

As reported by the Otago Daily Times, he said each track would be financed through the provincial growth fund.

''We know that we are going to have to have three all-weather tracks in this country.''

''There will be one probably around the Waikato, there will be one probably around Awapuni - I don't know where exactly - and one in the South Island.

''Likely to be near Christchurch. You can't muck around, you can't have 38, 46 events being cancelled and all the losses involved.''

''This will be funded, I might add, by the provincial growth fund, but we want clubs to put their share up as well.''

Nice to be definite about locations.....:rolleyes:

The South Island version will be interesting as will the cost. The associated infrastructure won't be cheap either.

The ODT reports states that the Minister of Racing told the meeting the racefields legislation is not going through. My understanding is the racing board borrowed millions to up stakes about 9 months ago on the belief that this legislation would pass , it did not go through under the  last parliament and is now effectively dead. As that was the income stream from big overseas bookmakers to pay the loan that paid the stakes where is the loan for prizemoney going to be paid back from ?

Three all weathers, Pakenham is quoted in the ODT at almost 10 mill to build track in 2009..Without checking off top of my head was Pakenham  the track in Victoria that relocated so cost comparison might not be a good one  If it is just the price of track surface plus 100 k per year to maintain that's some coin going to be needed to build and maintain three.The number of fixtures required to make a benefit would need looking at , plus horse population. Uk have 6 AWT and next year around 320 fixtures on them. So clubs will need to work together agree funding and maybe give up race dates. I want to be positive about it but why would say Riverton chip into a track at Riccarton that may mean trainers relocating away from them in future.Or is there a zone like if you are further away that Timaru your club don't have to chip in.

20 minutes ago, Red Rum said:

The ODT reports states that the Minister of Racing told the meeting the racefields legislation is not going through. My understanding is the racing board borrowed millions to up stakes about 9 months ago on the belief that this legislation would pass , it did not go through under the  last parliament and is now effectively dead. As that was the income stream from big overseas bookmakers to pay the loan that paid the stakes where is the loan for prizemoney going to be paid back from ?

Three all weathers, Pakenham is quoted in the ODT at almost 10 mill to build track in 2009..Without checking off top of my head was Pakenham  the track in Victoria that relocated so cost comparison might not be a good one  If it is just the price of track surface plus 100 k per year to maintain that's some coin going to be needed to build and maintain three.The number of fixtures required to make a benefit would need looking at , plus horse population. Uk have 6 AWT and next year around 320 fixtures on them. So clubs will need to work together agree funding and maybe give up race dates. I want to be positive about it but why would say Riverton chip into a track at Riccarton that may mean trainers relocating away from them in future.Or is there a zone like if you are further away that Timaru your club don't have to chip in.

Yes the chipping in part is going to be interesting , as a number of clubs have nothing to chip in!

I hope they go the way of Strathayr track as the sand or whatever base the Pakenham or Geelong tracks are just don't interest me and aren't as aesthetically pleasing as the   Strathayr surface, not to mention racing from these Geelong and Pakenhams looks like Greyhound racing to me and incredibly boring.

1 minute ago, Huey said:

Yes the chipping in part is going to be interesting , as a number of clubs have nothing to chip in!

I hope they go the way of Strathayr track as the sand or whatever base the Pakenham or Geelong tracks are just don't interest me and aren't as aesthetically pleasing as the   Strathayr surface, not to mention racing from these Geelong and Pakenhams looks like Greyhound racing to me and incredibly boring.

AWT very much the low grade stuff back in UK , improving a bit with few listed races around the tracks like Lingfields Winter Derby and big easter all weather championship meeting . Plus Northumberland Plate at Newcastle . The surface at Chelmsford very well spoken of and the top Newmarket stables use it to kick off their top ones from time to time and Godolphin use it for private trial races.For most part though  it's a if nothing else on I will have a punt on it but gets ignored on a Saturday by most punters. Kempton , Newcastle and Wolverhampton floodlit so caters for night out crowd. Southwell fibresand surface worse in my book, deep surface lowest quality horses  , poor stuff. I suppose they will have to decide polytrack ,pro ride ,tapeta or hopefully not fibresand. 

Strathayr amazing way it races at Kranji, absolutely hoses down and still seems great surface that would be the ideal IMHO. 

35 minutes ago, Red Rum said:

I don't think they will interfere with Riccarton RR, it has a historical place and needs to remain as such.

I would guess that North Canterbury and areas around Ashburton may be looked at, and other options might be in the fast growth area just West of the City out Rolleston / West Melton way ( trot country I know ) as  this would be easily accessible, particularly for trainers coming up from the  South.

15 minutes ago, Ohokaman said:

I don't think they will interfere with Riccarton RR, it has a historical place and needs to remain as such.

I would guess that North Canterbury and areas around Ashburton may be looked at, and other options might be in the fast growth area just West of the City out Rolleston / West Melton way ( trot country I know ) as  this would be easily accessible, particularly for trainers coming up from the  South.

OM , Ashburton makes sense , cuts out probably 3 hours travel in total for likes of Anderton  and Tyler stables  who I'd guess they would like on board for filling fields , lot of savings in   gas and wages that would be . Only thing with Ashburton is trots club as well. Iam guessing turf would come up and sand go down but construction may cause disruption with trots so that's more groups coming to party , it never ends does it.Riccarton would be inside main track.Cannot get my head around  investment verses usage though , it must be used regularly so who's going to give way.

Want to be positive like I said but so many ifs and buts. Iam not tied into industry financially but have had few decent shares in past and my plans for when kids are set up and work can take the back seat   are regular racedays and racing shares in the  odd horse again so in this respect I really hope it works out . 

Yeah,  I certainly don't wish to be negative about what would be a huge plus....but just where is the question.

Ashburton facilities [ tie ups,  boxes ] are a disgrace and I don't see too many people bothering to go there.   Hardly anyone goes now.  No.

Unless consistent trackwork is allowed on the surface [ no idea about that,  someone may enlighten me ]   installation at Riccarton would necessarily deprive trainers of a usable track.

If the plough [ for example ]  is taken up for installation and the corresponding trackwork is disallowed,  a huge number of horses would be disadvantaged.

In a typical dry Canterbury summer,  the excellent plough is the only thing that many horses can fast work on.

Contamination from horses from surrounding muddy areas also an issue I believe.

My [ personal ] choice would be Rangiora.  Handy to city,  a considerable amount of new housing becoming established,  population increasing dramatically in and around,  and the place is neat, tidy and welcoming.

The harness club however has a stake in proceedings and would have to be convinced.

38 minutes ago, Pam Robson said:

Yeah,  I certainly don't wish to be negative about what would be a huge plus....but just where is the question.

Ashburton facilities [ tie ups,  boxes ] are a disgrace and I don't see too many people bothering to go there.   Hardly anyone goes now.  No.

Unless consistent trackwork is allowed on the surface [ no idea about that,  someone may enlighten me ]   installation at Riccarton would necessarily deprive trainers of a usable track.

If the plough [ for example ]  is taken up for installation and the corresponding trackwork is disallowed,  a huge number of horses would be disadvantaged.

In a typical dry Canterbury summer,  the excellent plough is the only thing that many horses can fast work on.

Contamination from horses from surrounding muddy areas also an issue I believe.

My [ personal ] choice would be Rangiora.  Handy to city,  a considerable amount of new housing becoming established,  population increasing dramatically in and around,  and the place is neat, tidy and welcoming.

The harness club however has a stake in proceedings and would have to be convinced.

Agree Pam. Anywhere from there to Pegasus ( growing ) or Amberley way. Further to go for Southern folk but not much....;)

There is no way an all weather track will be built or even considered other than Riccarton

Its a no brainer! Rangiora will not be required 

35 race days a year at Riccarton, trials every fortnight

Cost effective with staff, outdoor vans communication, etc

Cant see how any other site would be better, just get on with it the sooner the better

Pam the few weeks/months building the new track will not be much different when they redid the track previously. Start straight after Cup week how long would it take given that it would be during best weather conditions