RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Pegasus 9

Royal Ascot

On a personal level, a Group I win at Royal Ascot next week will top most for James McDonald, not because it would be on the world stage, rather because of the relationship he has with UK trainer Charles Hills.

McDonald flew to England on Wednesday night and on the early hours of Saturday morning on June 23 he will partner the Hills-trained Equilateral in the Group I Commonwealth Cup (6f).

McDonald, who recently returned from his well-documented betting related suspension from racing, regularly spoke to Hills, who he regards as a member of his extended family, and he said he’d give anything to reward the trainer for his support.

To get a gauge on what the relationship means to the jockey, McDonald had turned down a couple of Royal Ascot advances before Hills called asking him to come over and ride for him.

He’s a champion bloke and he was an amazing support to me while I was out,” McDonald said.

“I’ve ridden a Group II winner (Dutch Connection in the 2016 Lennox Stakes) for him in the past and it was quite emotional so If we were able to link up for a Group I it would be beyond words.

“When I went over there as an apprentice I went over to him and he took me in like part of the family.

“I got dropped off on his doorstep and lived in the house with his family for three months.

“It would be a special one if we could pull this one off.”

Equilateral, a son of two-time King’s Stand Stakes winner Equiano, made his seasonal return at Doncaster on May 19 when scoring an impressive eight-length victory.

UK odds-setters have Equilateral listed as a $5.50 equal favourite in pre-field all-in markets for the Commonwealth Cup with Aidan O’Brien’s son of Justify’s sire Scat Daddy, Sioux Nation, the winner of four from nine starts.

“Charles is pretty bullish about Equilateral,” McDonald said. “He looks pretty smart.

“I wasn’t going this year and had turned down a few rides.

“When he called he said, ‘I wouldn’t ring you if it had no chance so you have to come’. I couldn’t say no.

“He might be an Everest-bound horse after that if he is successful.”