RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
MrBigStuff

Another meeting bites the dust

Due to extremely heavy rain, surface water on the track and further rain predicted for today and tomorrow the meeting scheduled for Te Teko on Wednesday 13 June has been abandoned. NZTR, together with the club and New Zealand Racing Board are looking to find an alternative date to run this meeting.

20 minutes ago, Patiti said:

,If there was an all weather at say Cambridge or Matamata would this help much

Some meeting are going to lose out anyway,

Yes because you can transfer them like they do in Victoria, however they always have to make some minor distance changes if they go to Pakenham or Geelong

4 hours ago, Patiti said:

If there was an all weather at say Cambridge or Matamata would this help much

Some meeting are going to lose out anyway,

I imagine that if there was an all-weather at Matamata you wouldn't need Te Teko anymore would you? This meeting would have been scheduled for the all weather in the first place. Several tracks would probably become redundant if an all weather was built. No one seems to have factored that in so far.

17 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

I imagine that if there was an all-weather at Matamata you wouldn't need Te Teko anymore would you? This meeting would have been scheduled for the all weather in the first place. Several tracks would probably become redundant if an all weather was built. No one seems to have factored that in so far.

Perhaps that's true in the winter but surely not in the Spring and Summer months?

1 hour ago, We're Doomed said:

Shit you really don't know your racing.  Te Teko is a grass surface that holds up most of the year because of its location. This latest unfortunate weather event was predictable 7 days ago. Racing management needed to be flexible not to get locked into a location. Eastern province weather bombs are predictable.

To say Te Teko wasn't needed if an all weather was at Matamata  are comments made by a moron, twit and imbecile who knows nothing of racing. Te Teko has abnormally good weather which provides a good surface. Just a shame the track wasn't bigger in order to take 30 runners with a 1200m straight.

The all weather track needs to have a 800m straight at a minimum. This eliminates track pace and draw bias.

2 hours ago, Berri said:

Shit you really don't know your racing.  Te Teko is a grass surface that holds up most of the year because of its location. This latest unfortunate weather event was predictable 7 days ago. Racing management needed to be flexible not to get locked into a location. Eastern province weather bombs are predictable.

To say Te Teko wasn't needed if an all weather was at Matamata  are comments made by a moron, twit and imbecile who knows nothing of racing. Te Teko has abnormally good weather which provides a good surface. Just a shame the track wasn't bigger in order to take 30 runners with a 1200m straight.

The all weather track needs to have a 800m straight at a minimum. This eliminates track pace and draw bias.

Bit unnecessary to stoop to name calling. Also lots of all weather tracks don’t have up and in biases. Neither HK nor Singapore significantly favour inside draws or leaders which are two I have watched hundreds of races on over many years.

11 minutes ago, Sickopunter said:

Bit unnecessary to stoop to name calling. Also lots of all weather tracks don’t have up and in biases. Neither HK nor Singapore significantly favour inside draws or leaders which are two I have watched hundreds of races on over many years.

Berri 30 runners with a 1200m straight? I think you are disorientated. This is NZ not England!

Get your heads out of a bucket. There is one opportunity to get it right for the future. Three things exist if you get it right. Number 1....IF you get more than 24 runners in a field, betting goes up. Number 2...IF those races are staying races, betting goes up. Number 3...IF there is no perceived bias in relation to barrier draw, betting goes up

a 1200m straight on a big wide track does all the above

6 hours ago, gubellini said:

Berri 30 runners with a 1200m straight? I think you are disorientated. This is NZ not England!

6 hours ago, gubellini said:

Where’s he going to find 30 jockeys ?

16 minutes ago, puha said:

17 minutes ago, puha said:

Plus there is the problem that our antiquated betting system can only cater for up to 24 runners. Berri are you suggesting we go back to the old days of bracketing horses? Also none of our barriers can handle 30 horses! Berri nostalgia has it’s place but flag starts or barrier strands just wouldn’t cut it!

7 hours ago, gubellini said:

30 runners - crickey commentators wouldn't get halfway through the finish order before trackside went over to Mooloolumwooomba dogs or wherever.:P

Due to the type of rain the B.O.P AND WAIKATO has received in the last week no track could have stood up to the weather.

Another disappointing reason owners are hard to find.I thought Te Rapa was the flagship for wet weather racing?

Do we need Winter flat racing?The standard of the fields going around at the moment is a disgrace.

The standards of all our racing have slipped since they altered the rating system.I have not seen a decent Group One race for many many years.

On 6/12/2018 at 10:01 PM, Berri said:

I take it you are trying to say in your own subtle way that you don't necessarily agree with my thoughtful comments.

If an all weather track was built somewhere, say Matamata, then it would be expected to be used about 24 times a year, or more, as horses who discover they quite like the surface will need regular opportunities on it. Matamata currently has about 12 meetings a year. I imagine they would still want to hold 6-8 of those on their existing grass surface so that does leave up to 18 meetings that will have to come off other clubs around Auckland and the Waikato. Rather than taking a couple of meetings each off nine clubs, surely it would be easier just to close two or three tracks down altogether.

You are spot on P4P. The all weather tracks (eg, Pakenham, Geelong) drive the punters away. But strathayr doesn’t worry the punter nor the horse. As for rain, I’ve commented on here before. I was in HK and on the morning of the Shatin races, a tropical downpour of “EPIC” proportions went on for two solid hours. I’ve never seen such a downpour. I planned for a long lunch because I thought there was no way there would be races on. Impossible! Not only did they race, they posted a good surface! The drainage on Shatin is the best in the world.

3 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

I take it you are trying to say in your own subtle way that you don't necessarily agree with my thoughtful comments.

If an all weather track was built somewhere, say Matamata, then it would be expected to be used about 24 times a year, or more, as horses who discover they quite like the surface will need regular opportunities on it. Matamata currently has about 12 meetings a year. I imagine they would still want to hold 6-8 of those on their existing grass surface so that does leave up to 18 meetings that will have to come off other clubs around Auckland and the Waikato. Rather than taking a couple of meetings each off nine clubs, surely it would be easier just to close two or three tracks down altogether.

Don't you mean 'Date Rape" ?

I'd imagine the likes of Ruakaka wouldn't be needing so many dates if there was an AW in the Waikato?

On 6/14/2018 at 6:38 AM, poundforpound said:

Can I ask why you presume an AW track will not be turf ?

In my experience any polymer or wax based track world wide seems to attract a different type of horse with a different action, and we haven’t bred that type of horse in NZ, so you invariably find horses that prefer AW tracks in countries that are turf driven, for example the UK and NZ, are of a lesser standard.

Conversely the turf style AW track, Strathayr, as seen in Hong Kong, Mooney Valley and Singapore tends to suit horses bred for turf tracks, typicallly those with British, Irish or Australian heritage.

Whilst I accept that a polymer track would be better than nothing I also think it’d be madness to create tracks that suit second rate horses, that’ll just further diminish our international reputation and favour bad horses and the production of a bad product.

Coukd you revert and help me understand what the  fraternity think of my intelligent observations.

Thanks.

Thank you for your encouragement pound, I am sorry I don't post so often these days, although it is one less disappointment in your life 

I had always assumed we could only really afford a Geelong or Pakenham type surface somewhere like Matamata. If we are going for a Moonee Valley type surfare surely that would have to be at Avondale or Ellerslie?