RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Berri

Can't be better than this

Actually to be factful, the horses was sourced and selected by Henry Field (Newgate Farm / SF Bloodstock), who convinced his partners CHC and Winstar Farm to buy the horse.  Michael signed the docket. 

On 6/10/2018 at 7:44 PM, Baz (NZ) said:

Belmont Stakes to a Kiwi?:o

Not just a Belmont, a triple crown, the second in four decades. I agree. Take a bow Michael Wallace. I think the thread initiator knows enough about the game to be able to say what he did. It's a  tough gig and this kind of result might be lucky, but is rare indeed and a magnificent accomplishment.

17 hours ago, La Zip said:

Actually to be factful, the horses was sourced and selected by Henry Field (Newgate Farm / SF Bloodstock), who convinced his partners CHC and Winstar Farm to buy the horse.  Michael signed the docket. 

Did you add the bit that Michael has a share and that George Sorros also bought into the horse. And in this country, what did our esteemed leaders do about promoting this?.....nhetts, naghda, zip butt nothing....a disgrace.

3 minutes ago, Berri said:

Did you add the bit that Michael has a share and that George Sorros also bought into the horse. And in this country, what did our esteemed leaders do about promoting this?.....nhetts, naghda, zip butt nothing....a disgrace.

I cant believe some people are trying to say Michael Wallace had little to do with it...he is part of the buying team foe CHC and he is one of the key members....why cant the knockers just get out and say bloody well done and what a super effort...he is a part of history and bloody good luck to him I say.

No Berri, the actual ownership is Winstar Farms, Newgate Farms, and SF Bloodstock, who is Souris Fund, one of the original investors in Newgate.China Horse Club is also in the ownership.

La Zip doesn't know shit about how the horse was bought or who is in on it. George Sorros made an investment in the horse through one of his vehicles. Michael was very much a part of the selection game. Get it right. Why knock any part of the game....the achievement is extraordinary, whether a whole or bit part in the play.....and it takes a team to play the game properly.

4 hours ago, Berri said:

La Zip doesn't know shit about how the horse was bought or who is in on it. George Sorros made an investment in the horse through one of his vehicles. Michael was very much a part of the selection game. Get it right. Why knock any part of the game....the achievement is extraordinary, whether a whole or bit part in the play.....and it takes a team to play the game properly.

No one is knocking the horses achievement although it hardly appears to be a vintage year for US 3 year olds. What some are bemused about is how many "bit".. sorry team players there has to be. We all know in racing many involved in a success never get recognition e.g. the stable hand who spends hours with the horse daily in that regard big cheer to the McKee's for allowing Clare Bird exposure with Sunline.

An interesting question is who deserves the most accolades for a horses success. Sure in a team they all contribute but when it comes to bloodstock agents they aren't all that necessary. In the final scheme of things there is still a horse, a breeder, an owner, a trainer, a jockey, even a vet and blacksmith. If Michael Wallace deserves praise its for being a major part of the China Horse Club. Pity its not the NZ Horse Club.

Top effort by Justify  whoever was involved and although form could look weak it's all to play out culminating at Churchill Downs in the BC Classic in November. The second Gronkowski was given a few runs on the All Weather in UK to prep for Kentucky before he got sick and was transfered to Chad Brown so hes probably got bit of improvement .All weather form always looked down on a bit in UK in general.For Justify to slog through the bog at Churchill Downs then through the bog and fog at Pimlico then tough it out on a tough dirt track at Belmont in little over 5 weeks he must have some ticker. Not sure the older ranks in US are top grade this year unless I've missed one so he could be set for good backend. Glad for Mike Smith as felt sorry for him few years back in  Zenyatta's  last race.He seems a down to earth decent bloke when he's interviewed.

Thousands of yearlings get sold each year, but only 13 horses have won the US Triple Crown in the history of the sport, so being tasked with trying to find a colt capable of achieving such a colossal feat at public auction makes looking for a needle in a haystack seem easy.

But at Keeneland back in September 2016, the combined might of the China Horse Club's Michael Wallace and Mick Flanagan, SF Bloodstock's Tom Ryan, Newgate Farm's Henry Field, and Elliott Walden and David Hanly from WinStar Farm unearthed the holy grail when they selected Justify from a mammoth catalogue of 4,479 yearlings.

Having been picked up for $500,000, the Bob Baffert-trained colt wrote his name into history books on Saturday when his Belmont Stakes romp saw him become just the second horse to land the Triple Crown with an undefeated record, equalling the achievement of Seattle Slew back in 1977.

"It's a sort of surreal feeling to be there and see that happen," says Wallace on his Belmont Stakes experience. "It was an amazing day and he's an amazing horse. You never dream of having a horse, or an opportunity, like this. It's something I'll remember forever."

Those sentiments were echoed by Wallace's China Horse Club colleague Flanagan, who said: "It's absolutely huge and like the other lads, I just feel very lucky to have had the experience.

"We're definitely in awe of the horse, he's something very, very special. I went out to Belmont on Sunday morning to look at him, and physically and mentally he's just a beast from a different planet."

The strapping son of Scat Daddy is owned in partnership between the China Horse Club, WinStar Farm, Starlight Racing and Head of Plains Partners, and selecting him from the thousands of yearlings at the 2016 edition of Keeneland's September Sale was very much a collaborative effort too.

"The way it works is myself and Michael Wallace go off through the barns and do up our shortlists, as do Tom Ryan and Henry Field, and Elliott Walden and David Hanly do the same," explained Flanagan. "We meet up every evening and whatever is left on all three shortlists goes to the next phase, being vetted et cetera.

"We all have to agree on a horse though, so if two partners like a horse but the third doesn't we basically take it off the list. There's a budget for the yearling season between Saratoga and Keeneland and we aim to buy 36 or 37 every year."

Although there was plenty of choice at Keeneland that year, Wallace said that the team did not have to look too hard to come across the colt now known as Justify.

"He was fairly simple to find because physically he's an amazing horse to look at," he said. "He was basically exactly what we were looking for. He was a big yearling but moved very well and was very light on his feet for such a big horse."

Those thoughts were shared by Flanagan, who said of Justify: "He was a big, imposing horse. He was very tall and was quite a leggy yearling, but he had a very good action and you could've set a bomb off beside him and he wouldn't have flinched.

"Thankfully all three partners had the same opinion of him and luckily we were able to buy him."

Despite having found a generation-defining colt, Wallace also gave a nod to the perils of buying blue-chip bloodstock, saying: "A horse like Justify coming along makes up for plenty of the others. As we all know, not every horse can hit the highs that you'd like them to."

According to a Racing Post report a minority owner of Justify says he looks like he's finished on the track. Not confirmed by Bob Baffert or organisations with  larger stake in him. Tough gig those three quick races on dirt .

7 minutes ago, Red Rum said:

According to a Racing Post report a minority owner of Justify says he looks like he's finished on the track. Not confirmed by Bob Baffert or organisations with  larger stake in him. Tough gig those three quick races on dirt .

it happened after that during track work or something which can happen to any horse at any time.

1 hour ago, scooby3051 said:

it happened after that during track work or something which can happen to any horse at any time.

OK cheers Scooby , however still  a tough gig the triple crown, followed the yank stuff for donkeys years from days of Ferdinand and Alysheba battles in early 80s ,  a lot of horses don't see light of day after triple crown races or end up boxing round in 5k claimes at likes of Finger Lakes , but totally agree with you it's a fact  horses get injured anytime any place . Some bounce through it like American Pharaoh and go on with it. No way at all I was trying to have dig connections  and only view of  minority owners opinion reported in Post that Justify won't race again

Triple Crown winner Justify retired from racing

• Edited Press Release
  • I'm a fan
     0 fans
    My Favorite
     0 favorites
  • July 25, 2018 2:07 PM

Triple Crown winner Justify retired from racing
Photo:  Eclipse Sportswire

Justify, the undefeated 2018 Triple Crown winner, has been retired from racing, it was announced Wednesday.

“Justify had some filling in his ankle, and he is just not responding quick enough for a fall campaign,” said trainer Bob Baffert. “We all wanted to see Justify run again, but ultimately it is my responsibility to make sure he is perfect. Without 60-90 days, I can't be definite.”

Campaigned by WinStar Farm, China Horse Club, Head of Plains Partners LLC, and Starlight Racing, Justify won all six of his career races and accomplished many historical feats en route to racing stardom. Justify ended the "Curse of Apollo" when he won the Kentucky Derby without having raced at age 2, and is one of just two horses to sweep the Triple Crown while undefeated.

“He is an incredible horse and we are very disappointed he can't run again,” said WinStar Farm's Kenny Troutt. “All things happen for a reason, and we are blessed to have raced him to be the 13th Triple Crown winner in history.”

Justify went on to capture the Preakness Stakes at Pimlico under the foggiest conditions the race has ever seen. He was pressured every step of the way and fended off all challengers for the wire-to-wire victory.

"When he won the Preakness, I allowed myself to start dreaming about the Triple Crown,” said Troutt. “When we look back on this, we have been a part of an undefeated Triple Crown Champion, and hopefully a Horse of the Year.”

Justify went to New York in pursuit of history in the Belmont Stakes. Sent to the lead by his Hall of Fame rider Mike Smith, Justify never looked back, winning the Belmont by 1 ¾ lengths, becoming the first undefeated Triple Crown winner since Seattle Slew.

“Like everyone else, I am disappointed he won't run again, but I am thankful he came into my life,” Smith said. “There was never a time when I rode him that I felt like I was going to get beat. There was no horse who could run with him without sacrificing themselves, and there was no horse who could come get him. He truly is a gift from God.” 

Justify provided racing international exposure through the Triple Crown, winning the Belmont Stakes in China Horse Club’s red and yellow colors after taking the Derby and Preakness in WinStar’s silks.

"To win the Triple Crown is an amazing accomplishment,” said China Horse Club’s Teo Ah Khing. “The history of the Triple Crown and the difficulty of winning the three legs is not something I take lightly. It has been a great ride for all of us, and I have complete confidence Bob is doing the right thing by Justify.”

Justify will return to WinStar Farm early next month. He amassed earnings of $3,798,000. In addition to his Classic wins, Justify also won the Santa Anita Derby (G1). Bred in Kentucky by John Gunther, the son of Scat Daddy was purchased by China Horse Club and Maverick Racing for $500,000 out of the Glennwood Farm consignment at the 2016 Keeneland September sale.

“The timing is bad for another start in 2018, and therefore, we have to retire him,” said WinStar Farm’s Elliott Walden. “Like American Pharoah, we can’t take the risk of running Justify as a four-year-old. We all wanted him to finish his career in the Breeders’ Cup Classic (G1), but it was not meant to be. As has been reported, there is a possible sale to Coolmore in place, but that won’t be finalized until a later date. We are excited to share him with our fans starting the middle of August after he gets acclimated.”

The “First Look” will be offered to WinStar StableMates members on Aug. 10th and 11th and can be scheduled through https://stablemates2.winstarfarm.com. The complete tour schedule is available at https://visithorsecountry.com/winstarfarm.

Justify will also parade at Del Mar on Saturday before traveling to WinStar.

“The parade at Del Mar will be a great opportunity for the fans in the San Diego area to come out and see him,” said Baffert.