RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Huey

HANDICAPPING POLICY

2 hours ago, puha said:

My gelding won at hs second start so went from 51 to 63 which is fine .Next start runs 6 of 8 11 lenghts off winner at a Sunday meeting and doesn’t drop any points.Hence next start he’s still stuck at the top of the 65 being a gelding .Makes it tough when you are against multiple winning drop back mares .

Yep and therein lies the problem total inconsistency in the hadicapping , sometimes you drop a point or two for a better performance than that it just makes no sense at all.

Rarely do horses drop at their first start after winning I guess if they did there would be just as many if not more moaning they get dropped too quick and can't get starts??

Who would want to be the handicapper damned if you do damned if you don't comes to mind!!

6 hours ago, puha said:

My gelding won at hs second start so went from 51 to 63 which is fine .Next start runs 6 of 8 11 lenghts off winner at a Sunday meeting and doesn’t drop any points.Hence next start he’s still stuck at the top of the 65 being a gelding .Makes it tough when you are against multiple winning drop back mares .

I'm no expert either, but noticed He's Unforgettable went from R47 to R63 after winning a Maiden at Te Teko. Up to 65 class today so will be interesting to see how he goes, and the result after......:rolleyes:

4 hours ago, poundforpound said:

Pitty is right here, you guys don’t want a simple formula based system ( nor do I, otherwise a $50k maiden at Ellerslie is the same as a $6k maiden at Greymouth ) but when the handicapper gets a wee bit subjective and tweaks a penalty based on his view of the horse’s performance, or worth of the race, you accuse him of being “all over the place”

I’m all in favour of making him acccountable, but let’s agree to be rational about it.

But that's what makes it so excruciatingly difficult to follow , its a bit of both that makes no sense at all and under that scenario you'd be better having a formula based system as then at least you'd know where you stood and it would somewhat remove the element of potential favouritism which has clearly happened before.

I'd be all for the current system as well if I had a horse that won a trial and was deducted a point for doing so an unheard of scenario I'd venture to say?

20 hours ago, poundforpound said:

Saturday v midweek ?

Not sure but maybe 

Here is an example at the same meeting

Penticoup wins a 1600 mdn goes to 62

Zeefa for Zed wins the very next race a 1600m goes to 63 

The 2nd horse runs a slightly faster time but marginal at best particularly on a H10 , whats the difference? Both at midweek race at Hawera.

53 minutes ago, Huey said:

But that's what makes it so excruciatingly difficult to follow , its a bit of both that makes no sense at all and under that scenario you'd be better having a formula based system as then at least you'd know where you stood and it would somewhat remove the element of potential favouritism which has clearly happened before.

I'd be all for the current system as well if I had a horse that won a trial and was deducted a point for doing so an unheard of scenario I'd venture to say?

Son Of Maher was never dropped for winning a trial. I asked that his last run from the previous season was reassessed after getting beaten 10 lengths, which any one can do, after consideration SOM was dropped a further point, 2 point drop for being beaten 10 lengths is very common reassessment. It is how it was recorded that has caused some people to think otherwise.

Trust that satisfies you 

30 minutes ago, uneasy said:

Son Of Maher was never dropped for winning a trial. I asked that his last run from the previous season was reassessed after getting beaten 10 lengths, which any one can do, after consideration SOM was dropped a further point, 2 point drop for being beaten 10 lengths is very common reassessment. It is how it was recorded that has caused some people to think otherwise.

Trust that satisfies you 

Why didn’t the handicapper alter the last run to -2 instead of putting it on the trial run? Maybe that’s were the confusion lies when people look at the results . Interesting it was 5 months between the last run and the trial is their a time limit you can ask for a review ? Cheers 

I guess there is a time limit, certainly must be between last run and next start.

You are obviously capable at looking up horses ratings check out Turn Me Loose and then comment!!!!

1 hour ago, uneasy said:

Thanks Leo, at least the three of us understand how it works. I know when you trained you did and still do

By that you mean you phone the handicapper and have a horse reassessed months after it's run? Is that how it works? 

Why does he change it though , assuming his initial assessment is correct , Does the handicapper take into account what's happened between that run and the past 5 months when reassessing the run?

On 7/11/2018 at 8:28 PM, uneasy said:

I guess there is a time limit, certainly must be between last run and next start.

You are obviously capable at looking up horses ratings check out Turn Me Loose and then comment!!!!