RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
GOM

How did we let this happen?

I have been almost overwhelmed in recent times by the sudden changes happening to our constition and rules. I'll bet I am not the only one that may not be fully aware of the detail and intention in many implementations.

How did we the members let this happen without a whimper ? At the last AGM gone by lunchtime became a reality. No discussion or remits , no chance to make the feeling of the participants  known. The removal of the licensed members representative gone with the stroke of a pen . We are now run by head office with more staff than ever before, most not from within the industry who go about deciding  what is set in stone for the participants without any input or discussion from the participants. The anonyms board members who we do have some influence over appear to be mere box tickers for the new brigade from outside the industry.

That point actually makes me wonder what the role of the elected members actually is. During the Paul Connor era it was stated that the elected representatives should be seen to be representing all the clubs in their area's, and must have regular contact with all the clubs in their area Can someone from Otago or Southland clubs tell me if the Southern representative carries this duty out as was expected of Paul. Do all of the rest of the clubs get attendance at meetings from their elected reps?

I remember many years ago being at an AGM when a remit from the executive was tabled to say that the executive should be able to change rules as needed because it was too cumbersome waiting for an AGM as was required. I immediately thought that reasonable but my old sparring partner Brian Hunt representing Taranaki jumped to his feet and thumped the desk forcefully telling everyone (as he is want to do) that it would be a very dangerous step to take where the members lose the little control they had over their own destiny. How right you were Brian

Too many people (LP's) burying their heads in the sand and looking after their own backs, like you say without a whimper. Doing the wrong thing instead of the right thing, staying quiet when people needed to speak up.

Example you mention LP Rep, the last Election was a shambles, it was simply an exercise to get rid of the position!! the CEO and Chairman at that time were caught out with some dodgy dealings, G Calverly was always to stay on board regardless of how few votes he got!! and if LPs really gave a shit about stamping out corruption and power tripping from the top, that was one time to speak up and do it! but they rolled over and accepted lies, thus the powers continued on milking their respective agendas to the maximum knowing that if LPs stand for nothing they'll fall for everything! Those men have now jumped off a damaged ship with their own personal agendas beautifully executed.

Also theres LP's that could've and should've spoken up during the recent media/SPCA attention around live/dead baiting, you know who you are, but again people going quiet, looking after their own interests, they might think that's the best thing for industry but it's not, it's not fair on those telling the TRUTH, not to mention those who abide by the rules. Also during that time I would've liked to hear a 'straight' high profile trainer come out and just make a statement along lines... "I dont do this" but no just SILENCE from within!! We remember how it looked when media got SILENCE then got booted off course?

The industry has and will continue to suffer a lot, but not because of the actions of bad people but because of the silence of good people! As Martin Luther King Jnr once said "there comes a time when silence is betrayal".

18 minutes ago, Lowdown said:

Too many people (LP's) burying their heads in the sand and looking after their own backs, like you say without a whimper. Doing the wrong thing instead of the right thing, staying quiet when people needed to speak up.

Example you mention LP Rep, the last Election was a shambles, it was simply an exercise to get rid of the position!! the CEO and Chairman at that time were caught out with some dodgy dealings, G Calverly was always to stay on board regardless of how few votes he got!! and if LPs really gave a shit about stamping out corruption and power tripping from the top, that was one time to speak up and do it! but they rolled over and accepted lies, thus the powers continued on milking their respective agendas to the maximum knowing that if LPs stand for nothing they'll fall for everything! Those men have now jumped off a damaged ship with their own personal agendas beautifully executed.

Also theres LP's that could've and should've spoken up during the recent media/SPCA attention around live/dead baiting, you know who you are, but again people going quiet, looking after their own interests, they might think that's the best thing for industry but it's not, it's not fair on those telling the TRUTH, not to mention those who abide by the rules. Also during that time I would've liked to hear a 'straight' high profile trainer come out and just make a statement along lines... "I dont do this" but no just SILENCE from within!! We remember how it looked when media got SILENCE then got booted off course?

The industry has and will continue to suffer a lot, but not because of the actions of bad people but because of the silence of good people! As Martin Luther King Jnr once said "there comes a time when silence is betrayal".

You know the biggest problem is ego...we have a majority of people in the sport now that never fought for anything..and think there's a living in it...most young ones don't and will never own a property because they are not prepared to work in a real job and get one...greyhound racing will not provide that unless it's a hand me down.....geez if they knew why greyhound racing is at manukau now and how much some went through to make sure it stayed ...there is not one of them would put that effort in...like our head office and our board and our failed lp rep they take it for granted...they think succes is in a computer...not hard graf.....

Totally agree with both comments above. I could not believe that the club reps signed away our rights so willingly. A million dollar industry with no member representation what so ever. Who does that? The apathy was deafening! Shame!

Also totally agree with you Lowdown on the baiting debacle.

16 minutes ago, Emotive said:

Totally agree with both comments above. I could not believe that the club reps signed away our rights so willingly. A million dollar industry with no member representation what so ever. Who does that? The apathy was deafening! Shame!

Also totally agree with you Lowdown on the baiting debacle.

Agree and as I said to Greg Kerr at the silver collar  meeting ..fine wait for the spca on live baiting but there is no reason not to charge them on dead baiting under our rules pending the live baiting.. ..it is so clear  even stevie wonder can see that....more head in the sand stuff from our board when it suits....it will bite them in the bun in the finish .