RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Fartoomuch

Good on Mark Purdon

Plenty of others have also, in fact quite a large number of harness trainers are involved.    Not knowing the arrangement Mark has entered into - i.e. is he just in ownership or will he be actually training it like Rogie.     Mark does train sbreds for Jimmy Gibbs so could be a tit for tat deal.

12 minutes ago, eljay said:

Plenty of others have also, in fact quite a large number of harness trainers are involved.    Not knowing the arrangement Mark has entered into - i.e. is he just in ownership or will he be actually training it like  Rogie.     Mark does train sbreds for Jimmy Gibbs so could be a tit for tat deal.

Hi Eljay,

Reading the article on the Allstars website, Mark is going to train it.

Cheers.

Robert.

With all his flitting around both here and stralia hope he can find the time to do it justice.

Which brings up an interesting discussion item - which trainers have or do train tbreds and which ones have an interest in a tbred but not trained by them?

26 minutes ago, eljay said:

With all his flitting around both here and stralia hope he can find the time to do it justice.

Which brings up an interesting discussion item - which trainers have or do train tbreds and which ones have an interest in a tbred but not trained by them?

I'm gonna start the ball rolling Eljay. Tim Butt ,Barry Purdon,Graeme Anderson,,Amber Hoffman,Leda Beck,John Parsons, Todd Mitchell and Rogey have all trained both codes at one stage or another.

I see Rogy as a galloping trainer who got into harness for a while, bought some expensive ones too and had some success but he's rather the exception than the rule. Big Bar had a horse or two a year or two ago but I don't think he ever had a winner. Todd hasn't done badly. Depends how far Mark P wants to take this and, as he stays with Rogy when in the north maybe it's tit for tat there. He does have a close relationship with Jim Gibbs but I really wouldn't like to see it come to Ruakaka. Or perhaps I should say, there are plenty of places I'd send a horse before trucking it north. No problem with a bit of variety though not many can do both well.

1 hour ago, Blue said:

I see Rogy as a galloping trainer who got into harness for a while, bought some expensive ones too and had some success but he's rather the exception than the rule. Big Bar had a horse or two a year or two ago but I don't think he ever had a winner. Todd hasn't done badly. Depends how far Mark P wants to take this and, as he stays with Rogy when in the north maybe it's tit for tat there. He does have a close relationship with Jim Gibbs but I really wouldn't like to see it come to Ruakaka. Or perhaps I should say, there are plenty of places I'd send a horse before trucking it north. No problem with a bit of variety though not many can do both well.

Hi Blue,

I am sure David Walsh works for the Allstars, so this might be the reasoning behind the dabble into thoroughbreds .

Cheers.

Robert.

1 hour ago, globederby12 said:

Good choise of Sire:)

Indeed he is Globe and this will be an interesting exercise for Mark and the stable. Given his ability to pick top horses from standardbred yearling sales at not huge prices the outcome of this venture will be interesting to say the least. Plus, he has plenty of friends in the gallops game to assist or get advice off. Pete Williams/Rogey to name a few.

On 5/10/2018 at 2:46 PM, Fartoomuch said:

I'm gonna start the ball rolling Eljay. Tim Butt ,Barry Purdon,Graeme Anderson,,Amber Hoffman,Leda Beck,John Parsons, Todd Mitchell and Rogey have all trained both codes at one stage or another.

Add in Brian gliddon, Brian court, chris butt, Malcolm price .

On ‎10‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 7:49 PM, Double R said:

Hi Blue,

I am sure David Walsh works for the Allstars, so this might be the reasoning behind the dabble into thoroughbreds .

Cheers.

Robert.

Yep I think you are correct.What a partnership that could be.Trainer Mark,Strapper David,Jockey Chris J

13 hours ago, chevy86 said:

Bound to get some good ones when you grab 50 a year!

His selection strike rate is well beyond others and it shows in his premiership record.

Of course he will have slow ones if that's your point but don't they all

On 5/10/2018 at 7:49 PM, Double R said:

Hi Blue,

Cheers.

Robert.

I think David works for NZ Thoroughbred looking after jockeys, hasn't been at All-Stars for a while.

10 hours ago, Fartoomuch said:

Of course he will have slow ones if that's your point but don't they all

Yep. and I'm picking he has more wastage than most. Lucky he has all those owners with deep pockets.

1 hour ago, chevy86 said:

Yep. and I'm picking he has more wastage than most. Lucky he has all those owners with deep pockets.

I totally disagree with you re Wastage but each to their own. Its easy to go after the AS team but their results speak for themselves. They obviously cull but usually only to save their owners further expense. That comes from their owners not me.