RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
eljay

Guerin's Revelation

I've read this a few times but still some nagging questions

Every race night a Premier Meeting

09 May 2018

By Michael Guerin

The Auckland Trotting Club is taking a dramatic approach to becoming the country’s premier harness racing club --- by turning every race night into a premier meeting.

In it’s largest stakes increase yet the ATC will boost stakes for all meetings next year to be at what is now the premier level, an increase of $40,000 per meeting.

At the moment in New Zealand premier meeting have minimum $20,000 stakes and from next March that will be the average stake at Alexandra Park for all meetings.

ATC president Bruce Carter has announced starting March 2019 the club’s normal Friday night meetings will consist of two $25,000 races, two $15,000 races for maidens or those for the weak 40-50 rating band and the rest of the races will be worth $20,000.

That means the non-group races at Alexandra Park from next March will average $20,000.

“The stakes are based on nine-race programmes at our meetings and they will be guaranteed, we won’t be relying on external funding from things like the race fields legislation which we can’t control,” says Carter.

“We realise stakes have to go up because costs continue to go up and we want to show this commitment now.

“We need more horses racing at Alexandra Park, at the moment that number is about 9.3 per race on average and we aim to get that to 11 per race and then more after that.

“That is crucial to helping boost turnover but also make the industry more sustainable for trainers.”

The two $25,000 race guaranteed each night will usually be for the tightest class pacing and trotting races, meaning some meetings in winter races mere two or three-win front races will carry the $25,000 stake.

“We realise how hard it is to keep those intermediate grade horses in the country because owners get tempted to send them off-shore or sell them.

“But this should mean those horses who are in that grade or just below the best open class horses can race here every meeting for usually $25,000 at never below $20,000, which makes them very viable.”

The new stake levels will catapult Alexandra Park further ahead of the pack Australasian wide but their greatest problem is still field sizes.

“It is remarkable, we can’t attract rating 40-50 horses for plenty of meetings now racing for $14,000 whereas trainers will race at Cambridge instead for a lot less than that.

“And the thing about it is, they are still racing the same horses, rating 40-50s, who are hardly the stars of the game.

“So I think some trainers and owners could look at their attitudes to racing here and hopefully this will help with that.”

The ATC will not raise stakes for their actual premier meetings but the most comforting part of Carter’s announcement is that it isn’t reliant on the New Zealand Racing Board reaching its financial targets, which are being hampered by the delays to the race fields legislation being passed.

The money will come from the completion of the of the two major real estate developments at Alexandra Park, with their commercial and residential spaces.

The first tower has already been significantly delayed but almost all the owners of the apartments pre-purchased are sticking with the development as they have increased in price since they were originally purchased.

“The delay is unfortunate but were circumstances beyond our control but we are confident we will have the first building open in the New Year.

“And with that money coming online I want to thank the board and management who have worked incredibly hard to make this all happen.”

The latest series of stakes increases  means Alexandra Park have almost doubled stakes in five years.

Some observations

I thought Auckland was going to increase stakes from August this year - are they still going to?

Guerin says next year Carter says March - I suppose that's just bad reporting!

Giuerin says every meeting, Carter is quoted every Friday meeting - will the Thursday meetings be increased too or just Friday ones?      Clarification needed.

Amazing too how members of the ATC read this in the press rather than have advance advice from the Board.     

It was promised pre year-ling sales last year as going ahead August 1.building delays meant we have to wait but the stakes promised will be fantastic for owners and trainers.atc just has to be careful announcing time frame for stakes as it is dependent on the development.future looks bright can' deny that.

Going to make it hard for young trotters getting "stakes" for Jewels as they will probably want 9 horse field to run a race, not that it easy now with mainly non totes but some of those presently run races of 6 & 7 starters will probably go by the board unless more nominations each week.    And reading through the lines, gone are the 10, 11, 12 race cards so the racing secretary and/or handicapper are going to have to be very careful that horses get an equal chance of racing and that no "bias" is evident.

Seems that the August stake increases are no more. Earliest will now be March next year. But what happens if the constructions are further delayed to say October 2019? When will we see the stake increases ? Noticed Guerin didn’t cover this subject. An objective journalist???

The intent is clear...sometime in the very near future the stakes will be at a level at the ATC where more participants have a chance to  get a return , a reasonable horse will be able to pay its way and owners will be encouraged to race their horses longer here as opposed to selling abroad .

The lesser clubs/tracks should have a lenient handicaping/rating system as well as most horses will still be unable to win at the ATC !

We have been forewarned so horse numbers in North should increase and horses can race like v like...very important IMO.

Other NZ clubs should  see the need for initiative as well...Stakes alone won't save the Industry.

Well done ATC .

Correct Tasman man, it will be great when the increases finally happen. Until then perhaps they should shut up about when it all kicks in until the buildings are complete and revenue streams in place. For ever pushing out the dates makes them look un-informed and day-dreamers.

50 minutes ago, frankie said:

Correct Tasman man, it will be great when the increases finally happen. Until then perhaps they should shut up about when it all kicks in until the buildings are complete and revenue streams in place. For ever pushing out the dates makes them look un-informed and day-dreamers.

It does seem a little bit mischevious announcing August 2018 stake increases prior to the recent yearling sales.

Stake increases have got to be good but, in cementing Alex Park as Number #1 are the dates committee going to take this on board and avoid this Thursday night/ Friday night debacle with Cambridge? 

On 5/9/2018 at 1:52 PM, eljay said:

I've read this a few times but still some nagging questions

Every race night a Premier Meeting

09 May 2018

By Michael Guerin

Guerin says next year Carter says March - I suppose that's just bad reporting!

You show me where there's a month of March still to come on THIS year's calendar, and I'll buy you a chocolate fish....NEXT YEAR. 

Having asked a few questions of the top boys tonight I have to say there is never a better time to have a horse racing at the park.in the next year or 2 we are going to be racing for big money and the time to get in is now.

August march whatever there is no doubt in my mind stake money will be the envy of everyone.the challenge is to increase the numbers to get better turnover and get a regular fan base .great money is only a part of it getting people to the track now that ain't going to be easy.I've seen great money in the states with deserted courses.

On 5/10/2018 at 6:59 PM, Idolmite said:

You show me where there's a month of March still to come on THIS year's calendar, and I'll buy you a chocolate fish....NEXT YEAR. 

The Harness year starts August 1st - next calendar year starts January 1st - so when does it start?

1 hour ago, eljay said:

The Harness year starts August 1st - next calendar year starts January 1st - so when does it start?

The next March we come to is still next year, whichever of those two calendars you use. 

On 5/9/2018 at 7:14 PM, beef said:

Seems that the August stake increases are no more. Earliest will now be March next year. But what happens if the constructions are further delayed to say October 2019? When will we see the stake increases ? Noticed Guerin didn’t cover this subject. An objective journalist???

The interview was about as reliable as the Labour coalition promises. Time for Twyford for ATC!

ATC said that increases were based on the excellent returns from functions and catering, nothing contingent on building returns.  ???  Go figure.

19 minutes ago, globederby12 said:

Whatever you or others think of Mr Guerin, he deserves better than comments like that. Probably one of the reasons Bitofayarn started up. 

Tell us more Globe , im seriously interested in your comment and not in a nasty way

24 minutes ago, globederby12 said:

Whatever you or others think of Mr Guerin, he deserves better than comments like that. Probably one of the reasons Bitofayarn started up. 

Obviously you have never been on the receiving end of the germ's poison pen. More than Brian O'Meara have copped it from the lizard before he climbed up Mark Purdon's fundament.

Why all the negative comments ?

Whether it August , January or 12 months plus a bit it is great news !

It makes Addington look like a joke - very average stakes across all grades except the Cup ,Dominion, Free for All , Derby & Oak’s which are part funded by owners through nominations fees . Then the likes of the SS and Sales races are 100% paid for by owners !

The rest of the stakes at Addington are so embarrassingly low and silence from the Board & Management about addressing the rot is deafening !

So well done ATC and you will take ownership as the capital of harness racing in NZ very quickly !

50 minutes ago, LongOwner said:

Why all the negative comments ?

Whether it August , January or 12 months plus a bit it is great news !

It makes Addington look like a joke - very average stakes across all grades except the Cup ,Dominion, Free for All , Derby & Oak’s which are part funded by owners through nominations fees . Then the likes of the SS and Sales races are 100% paid for by owners !

The rest of the stakes at Addington are so embarrassingly low and silence from the Board & Management about addressing the rot is deafening !

So well done ATC and you will take ownership as the capital of harness racing in NZ very quickly !

Love your comments as regards the ATC but you are a bit unfair on Addington. They have also developed their land and developed alternative revenue streams as have the ATC. But their land is simply not worth as much & the ChCh economy is more flat as regards rental demand etc. ATC simply have more advantages being in the biggest population base.                            Agree with your comments as regards acceptance fees but ATC now doing the same for their group 1 races.  They both need to stop this stupidity.                          .  I think South will still remain centre of harness racing for some time yet as it has a larger base of people involved in the sport.

15 hours ago, lamour said:

Love your comments as regards the ATC but you are a bit unfair on Addington. They have also developed their land and developed alternative revenue streams as have the ATC. But their land is simply not worth as much & the ChCh economy is more flat as regards rental demand etc. ATC simply have more advantages being in the biggest population base.                            Agree with your comments as regards acceptance fees but ATC now doing the same for their group 1 races.  They both need to stop this stupidity.                          .  I think South will still remain centre of harness racing for some time yet as it has a larger base of people involved in the sport.

Shouldn't we all be looking to both of them being financially successful. I'm with you Tim re higher stakes but as with all  higher increments it takes time for owners to buy /upgrade necessary stock to race for higher stakes. To their credit i would also add that the Dunn operation with dual operations may well be the way to go in the future.