RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
GOM

Human behaviour

Reading the Dennis Schofield thread I noticed it had 4169 views and thought isn't human behaviour strange when we take more notice of any negative news than positive..

I decided to go back a few years and just see what sort of post's hold the record for the most views .

There have been 18 posts that have more than 4000 views and of those the only positive one was Above All with 8,359 views.

The three most viewed were ; GNZ member to face charges with 13,178 followed by Trevor with 11990 and then Dead baiting NSW with 11,631

Trevor Wilkes gets another 5501 which combined with Trevor gives him 17,491 and easily first place which is ridiculous. Haven't we got something more important to ring our bell.

Mind you to be fair to Trev many of the those views may have been in positive mode. I was put out when I noticed one called Mike Martin that only had a few views and I was too scared to read the comments to determine if pos or neg.

By the way there is a scientific reason why we do notice and remember negative things rather than positive . It is a survival tool and explained well in a book called Buddha's Brain for anyone interested

Bad news sells Mike. It is beamed into our homes every night, and it has made some individuals very rich. In regard to the positive and baiting topics, there is a range of opinion, but like it or not the finger is pointed at everyone who is part of the sport. Unfairly I might add. I have read a couple of the latest articles that state doping is rife within the sport, nothing could be further from the truth. For someone who is hell-bent on banning our sport, telling them that there has been only one positive in the 2500 tests carried out this season, will be ignored. We all have an opinion because we are all affected by the publicity. I believe in healthy debate, and I believe that when conducted with respect it is an effective tool for correcting misinformation, for changing opinion, gauging member feeling, and healing hurt. For everyone that trains within the rules, there is a level of hurt. Buddha was quite a cool dude, and your point was not lost.

It's an interesting question. There's no doubt people are more interested in the bad news rather than the good.

There was some research which put forward the idea that it was evolutionary advantageous for humans to prioritise negative information because the potential costs of negative info far outweighed the potential benefits of positive information.

The point about increasing sales is also relevant. News stand sales increase by 30%+ when the headines are negative. And there was one study in Russia where online readership of a news site decreased by over 60% when the news was all good.....

We are a funny mob.......:rolleyes:

I don’t think it’s a bad thing that we take ‘more notice of negative than positive’ news. It actually shows that the individuals who comment care about the sport and actually give a s..t.  What annoys me is how the minority have the ability to wreck the game for the majority.

you just need to look across the Tasman and now see that ACT greyhounds are now closed. The sooner these investigations are completed and put to bed the better.