RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Berri

Almanzor

If you had a stallion come to New Zealand that was rated equal to Winx....would you use him? Stakes winner at 2, French Derby winner at three, Weight For Age champion in three countries. Much needed outcross for all this Danehill blood that we're swimming in.

There are some race performances that are standouts for their vitality and sheer class. This is the race that made everyone take a deep breath. If you said that any horse in a single race could put away Found (Arc winner), Minding (6 times group one winner, Oaks, Queen Elizabeth), Harzand (English and Irish Derby winner), New Bay (French Derby), Highland Reel (Breeders Cup, Hong Kong Vase), My Dream Boat (GP1 Prince of Wales) and Hawkbill (Gp1 Coral Eclipse)....what would you think? Last 600m in 32.6

Almanzor To Shuttle To Cambridge Stud

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 at 1:14 pm | Back to: Top News

Updated: May 2, 2018 at 1:14 pm

New Zealand’s Cambridge Stud has purchased the Southern Hemisphere breeding rights to Almanzor (Fr) (Wootton Bassett {GB}), and the 2016 European champion 3-year-old is set to shuttle there later this year. Almanzor is based at Haras d’Etreham in France and is currently standing his first season for €35,000. He will be syndicated in New Zealand and will stand for NZ$30,000.

Brendan Lindsay, who with his wife Jo recently purchased Cambridge Stud from the legendary studmaster Sir Patrick Hogan, said, “Our purchase of Almanzor is a further vote of confidence in the New Zealand industry. He will be the first European champion 3-year-old since Montjeu to stand in New Zealand, so having access to a horse with his credentials is hugely significant. We will be throwing our full support behind him.”

Cambridge also stands Montjeu’s highly successful son Tavistock (NZ) and leading second-crop sires Burgundy (NZ) and Highly Recommended (Aus).

“Almanzor was a truly outstanding racehorse, he was the highest-rated turf horse in world in 2016 alongside Winx with a Timeform rating of 133,” said Cambridge Stud Chief Executive Officer Henry Plumptre. “He displayed an exceptional turn of foot and also has an outcross pedigree which is so sought after by Australasian breeders.”

A first-crop son of Group 1 winner Wootton Bassett (GB), who is himself by another successful New Zealand shuttler in Iffraaj (GB), Almanzor was trained by Jean-Claude Rouget and was a stakes winner at two. He won his three Group 1s at three in three different countries, kicking off the sequence in France’s G1 Prix du Jockey Club. He bested a stellar field of older horses in the fall the G1 Irish Champion S.-those in his wake including the subsequent Arc winner Found (Ire), champion 3-year-old filly Minding (Ire), the previous year’s Jockey Club winner New Bay and global Group 1 winner Highland Reel (Ire)-and he had Found again in his wake when taking the G1 Champion S. five weeks later. Almanzor will be given every chance to succeed in Europe as well, his shareholders including breeder Haras d’Etreham, Gerard Augustin-Normand and SF Bloodstock.

Have to agree with everyone else --well done Cambridge Stud !!

Great race record :   http://www.agakhanstuds.com/Horse/201300885/en

Videos of other races :  https://www.horseracingnation.com/horse/Almanzor_1

Can someone explain what it means when they say they have "purchased the SH breeding rights". How does this sort of deal work?  Is this the standard shuttle arrangement or is it something extra , which I presume protects CS in some way?

Here is a pedigree back to generation five showing no duplications:

WOOTTON BASSETT (GB)
b. 2008
IFFRAAJ (GB)
b. 2001
ZAFONIC (USA)
b. 1990
GONE WEST (USA)
br. 1984 [IC]
MR. PROSPECTOR (USA) b. 1970 [BC]
SECRETTAME (USA) ch. 1978
ZAIZAFON (USA)*
ch. 1982
THE MINSTREL (CAN) ch. 1974
MOFIDA (GB) ch. 1974 *
PASTORALE (GB)
ch. 1988
NUREYEV (USA)
b. 1977 [C]
NORTHERN DANCER (CAN) b. 1961 [BC]
SPECIAL (USA) b. 1969 *
PARK APPEAL (IRE)
dkb/br. 1982
AHONOORA (GB) ch. 1975
BALIDARESS (IRE) gr. 1973 *
BALLADONIA (GB)
b. 1996
PRIMO DOMINIE (GB)
dkb/br. 1982
DOMINION (GB)
b. 1972
DERRING-DO (GB) b. 1961
PICTURE PALACE (GB) b. 1961
SWAN ANN (GB)
ch. 1971
MY SWANEE (GB) gr. 1963
ANNA BARRY (GB) ch. 1964
SUSQUEHANNA DAYS (USA)
b. 1990
CHIEF'S CROWN (USA)
b. 1982 [IS]
DANZIG (USA) b. 1977 [IC]
SIX CROWNS (USA) ch. 1976 *
GLIDING BY (USA)
b. 1975
TOM ROLFE (USA) b. 1962 [CP]
KEY BRIDGE (USA) b. 1959 *
DARKOVA (USA)
ch. 2008
MARIAS MON (USA)
gr. 1993
WAVERING MONARCH (USA)
b. 1979
MAJESTIC LIGHT (USA)
b. 1973
MAJESTIC PRINCE (USA) ch. 1966
IRRADIATE (USA) gr. 1966
UNCOMMITTED (USA)*
b. 1974
BUCKPASSER (USA) b. 1963 [C]
LADY BE GOOD (USA) b. 1956 *
CARLOTTA MARIA (USA)
gr. 1984
CARO (IRE)
gr. 1967 [IC]
FORTINO (FR) gr. 1959
CHAMBORD (GB) ch. 1955
WATER MALONE (USA)
gr. 1974
NASKRA (USA) b. 1967
GRAY MATTER (USA) gr. 1966
DARKARA (IRE)
b. 2001
HALLING (USA)
ch. 1991
DIESIS (GB)
ch. 1980
SHARPEN UP (GB) ch. 1969 [BC]
DOUBLY SURE (GB) b. 1971
DANCE MACHINE (GB)
b. 1982
GREEN DANCER (USA) br. 1972
NEVER A LADY (IRE) ch. 1974
DARALBAYDA (IRE)
b. 1993
DOYOUN (IRE)
b. 1985
MILL REEF (USA) b. 1968 [CS]
DUMKA (FR) b. 1971 *
DARALINSHA (USA)
b. 1984
EMPERY (USA) b. 1973
DARAZINA (FR) b. 1979

Lovely horse and generally speaking he should work well there in NZ.

In isolation, I don’t think his fee is unreasonable but across the board there looks to be a balancing act in front for those who breed commercially in NZ.  From what has been announced over the last few days,  there seems to be some thought amongst studs that fees must rise.

2018 would have been a year of consolidation,  reducing broodmare bands back to commercially viable numbers, in Other words, sorting the wheat from the chart...and waiting for Mr Messara’s report. But it seems Studs are putting the cart before the horse and topping up in advance. 

If the 2017foal crop is the smallest in recent years, why are fees increasing?  There are so many new stallions that need to get a foothold I thought Studs would be taking the approach that they need to entice breeders “back to the fold”....and  be very negotiable with fees. 

But after reading the headline in today’s The Dominion about the level of “Rip offs & rorting” in NZ, why should the decimated racing industry be any different? 

1 hour ago, La Zip said:

Lovely horse and generally speaking he should work well there in NZ.

In isolation, I don’t think his fee is unreasonable but across the board there looks to be a balancing act in front for those who breed commercially in NZ.  From what has been announced over the last few days,  there seems to be some thought amongst studs that fees must rise.

2018 would have been a year of consolidation,  reducing broodmare bands back to commercially viable numbers, in Other words, sorting the wheat from the chart...and waiting for Mr Messara’s report. But it seems Studs are putting the cart before the horse and topping up in advance. 

If the 2017foal crop is the smallest in recent years, why are fees increasing?  There are so many new stallions that need to get a foothold I thought Studs would be taking the approach that they need to entice breeders “back to the fold”....and  be very negotiable with fees. 

But after reading the headline in today’s The Dominion about the level of “Rip offs & rorting” in NZ, why should the decimated racing industry be any different? 

You make a good point and the ones that have struck me as strange fees this season have been the rise in the fee for Dalghar $8-10k and the Tavistock fee staying at $65k , however perhaps that is what the studs need to stand them at to make them economical from their point of view?

On the other hand the fee for the sire (Roc De Cambes) of the NZ derby stays the same at $5k , go figure.

This "turn of foot" we hear spoken about so much these days (there is no doubt Almanzor has a great finishing burst in him).

How much has this to do with breeding or is it to do with the training methods used ? Or is it simply a bit of both ?

Absolutely. That’s why I will support studs that understand and provide great options for the breed to race segment. This is where I believe CS has erred.  Being new to NZ and living under the Cambridge bubble, leaves one to think that Henry Plumptre is yet to come to grips with the vagaries of the local racing & breeding scene.  Having disposed of Power & Keeper and now the increased fees for Burgundy and HR, leaves CS without a horse for the breed to race community.  But I guess in scales of economy, they are not interested in standing a Roc de Cambes or similar.  

As a sideline, during Henry’s tenure at Darley, a great number of top Woodlands mares were moved on ...I won’t name them all but one was the dam of Sepoy. Now whether that was his decision or the order came from a high, we’ll never know....

Anyhow I think Henry will have his hands full enough trying to ensure the investment in Almanzor is justified with a full book of quality mares,  trying to keep everyone onside with Tavistock and ensuring there are sufficient mares for the other 2 stallions at their new fees. 

And you think John Messara has a task ahead of himself....Henry’s will be no walk in the park. 

1 hour ago, Breeder said:

This "turn of foot" we hear spoken about so much these days (there is no doubt Almanzor has a great finishing burst in him).

How much has this to do with breeding or is it to do with the training methods used ? Or is it simply a bit of both ?

Definitely genetics, they either have it or they don't, just like staying ability, sprinting capability etc Training methods can enhance but they are born with that stuff 

The acquisition of this stallion is a very good result for NZ breeders. Also as a grandson of Iffraaj this also validates this sireline with his Champion sons Turn Me Loose and Ribchester standing in Australasia in 2018

Ribchester was a serious racehorse and multiple Group One winner and as a Champion Miler would be a great sire prospect.

Almanzor was a great racehorse and as a stayer will cross well with our stout bloodlines. 

We also overlook the success of Iffraaj on our shores. He sired three winners today - two at Riccarton and one at Te Rapa. I believe his broodmares will be very successful. We are very lucky to have him available in NZ

Totally agree... however I still don’t think he attracts the top line mares. For some reason, the local commercial breeders are prejudiced against him because they don’t think the Aussies/Asian will pay money for them.  And that, unfortunately, is what drives the NZ industry.

So good luck to those who use him and race the offspring. His track record says it all....I have a lovely young Iffraaj mare and we’re looking forward to seeing what she can produce.