RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Dwarf Planet

GRNZA and the GAP Levin Kennels

Yes from August the 1st. The GRNZ will continue to support GAP financially.
The GRNZ will also be looking at bringing other re-homing agencies into the mix.
We already have two on the books, GAP, and Nightrave.
The prison program will come back online.
Increasing the number of re-homing partners will help build the numbers being re-homed presently.
There is room for everyone.
The proposed changes are a positive way forward.

On 4/27/2018 at 0:12 PM, Dwarf Planet said:

Does this ad mean that GRNZ are taking over the GAP Kennels in Levin? 

https://www.adecco.co.nz/manufacturing-operations-jobs/kennel-facility-manager/1713484

If so what is happening to GAP?

Correction. The Levin Kennels belong to the GRNZ. They were leased to GAP. GAP tenure ends on the 31st of July.

16 hours ago, Emotive said:

The GRNZ will also be looking at bringing other re-homing agencies into the mix.
Increasing the number of re-homing partners will help build the numbers being re-homed presently.

That "we" already have is telling Em

19 hours ago, Emotive said:

Correction. The Levin Kennels belong to the GRNZ. They were leased to GAP. GAP tenure ends on the 31st of July.

Yes, they belong to GRNZ and GAP hold the lease - for now. What I fail to understand about the news announcement is that it strongly suggests that all greyhounds for adoption will first have to go through the Levin kennels for assessment - is that the plan? ie this statement from https://www.grnz.co.nz/News.aspx?NewsID=2732 " GRNZ runs Levin as a national kennel and temperament testing base. Greyhounds can be adopted directly from Levin, or may be sent to regional kennel spaces, run by GAP, Nightrave and other adoption partners, for adoption."

11 hours ago, Dwarf Planet said:

Yes, they belong to GRNZ and GAP hold the lease - for now. What I fail to understand about the news announcement is that it strongly suggests that all greyhounds for adoption will first have to go through the Levin kennels for assessment - is that the plan? ie this statement from https://www.grnz.co.nz/News.aspx?NewsID=2732 " GRNZ runs Levin as a national kennel and temperament testing base. Greyhounds can be adopted directly from Levin, or may be sent to regional kennel spaces, run by GAP, Nightrave and other adoption partners, for adoption."

That's what the advisory says.

On 4/28/2018 at 4:02 PM, Emotive said:

How are dogs going to get to Levin? From auckland and waikato...why change a system that is working in the north?.....silly me I know one of the board members who lives up here will be doing it...but hold on that wont get him frequent flyer points....unless he flys them.....

1 hour ago, Hound Fan said:

How are dogs going to get to Levin? From auckland and waikato...why change a system that is working in the north?.....silly me I know one of the board members who lives up here will be doing it...but hold on that wont get him frequent flyer points....unless he flys them.....

Steve. There is a meeting on the 1st of May. Detail will follow before the take over comes into effect. Let them get the detail sorted.
There may well be a transport system established. Will there still be an entrance fee charged? As yet we don't know.
I think having one team assessing all dogs is good. It will eliminate issues that have arisen in the past.
Also allowing more time to settle and assess will help reduce the number of possible fails.
Bringing in more re-homing partners will reduce waiting lists and allow each dog to be fitted to the right agency for re-homing.
Each agency has their own criteria, they are not all the same.
There are many more positives to the restructure than negatives.
We all have the ability to put relevant questions and suggestions to the re-homing committee.

2 hours ago, Emotive said:

Steve. There is a meeting on the 1st of May. Detail will follow before the take over comes into effect. Let them get the detail sorted.
There may well be a transport system established. Will there still be an entrance fee charged? As yet we don't know.
I think having one team assessing all dogs is good. It will eliminate issues that have arisen in the past.
Also allowing more time to settle and assess will help reduce the number of possible fails.
Bringing in more re-homing partners will reduce waiting lists and allow each dog to be fitted to the right agency for re-homing.
We all have the ability to put relevant questions and suggestions to the re-homing committee.

Waste of time and will only slow down the process more

4 minutes ago, alltheway!!! said:

the team in the CD are slow and slack compared to the northern region. Waste of time and will only slow down the process more

This was your message to me last Friday ....

I've really enjoyed my time here (the last 3 years have been rough) scooby but every good thing must come to an end. I hate to tell you but I have just opened an account over at... So i guess you can ban me now because i will not be needing this account in the future.

As such this will be your last message on my site... thanks .

11 hours ago, Emotive said:

Sorry cant agree...why take away the most successful rehoming kennel in the north to try something else....because the main base isn't working. Why take away from one that is...why not sell Levin..put the  money back into stakes or take a share in the northern kennel...might only be worth 500k even though grnz paid over a million but hey let's move on....biggest investment cock up ever.....but we all said it at the time and unfortunately  ..the board at the time including  maro has to take the fsll

12 hours ago, Hound Fan said:

Sorry cant agree...why take away the most successful rehoming kennel in the north to try something else....because the main base isn't working. Why take away from one that is...why not sell Levin..put the  money back into stakes or take a share in the northern kennel...might only be worth 500k even though grnz paid over a million but hey let's move on....biggest investment cock up ever.....but we all said it at the time and unfortunately  ..the board at the time including  maro has to take the fsll

Understand your sentiment, but there is a bigger picture. The South Island is struggling. The waiting list grows and there is no GAP kennel in the south. The CD has had a number of issues which has seen the Levin waiting list continue to dwindle, while the other rehoming option is at absolute capacity. Presently our southern trainers have few options but to truck north. There are two other rehoming options in the south that we should be looking at bringing into the fold. There have been issues with consistency of assessment. There have been issues around failures, later successfully rehomed. This isn't just about you Steve. Yes, I agree that the northern rehoming rate has been very good. They aren't going anywhere, the GRNZ aren't intent on shutting anyone down, to the contrary. What they intend to do is utilise the existing strengths of re-homers while adding other options to grow what has been a very stagnant adoption rate. The operating model that has been the status quo for some time, needs to be restructured to give every trainer quality re-homing options. GAP have to take some responsibility for those changes. When Levin was purchased it was agreed by all clubs that the GRNZ would run the property. There was actually no agreement to put GAP on site from the members. The prison program will give the more difficult dogs an option that doesn't presently exist. Now whether that intensive one on one training is 6, 8, or 12 weeks is yet to be advised. This is about quality re-homing options for every dog. Not just a handful of trainers in the north.

Yes the list down here keeps growing.After GAP lost its kennel base in Amberley we were rung to say that no dog on the list can race.If they do they would be removed.Was told that the list would reduce quicker this way.It hasn’t.Like most I had dogs on the list while racing.

I have since transferred my two dogs on the list to Hampton Downs.Yes it will cost me about $600 to take them up,but that’s the choice I make.I have had 1 dog go thru Hampton Downs and find them to be great

3 hours ago, Alison said:

Yes the list down here keeps growing.After GAP lost its kennel base in Amberley we were rung to say that no dog on the list can race.If they do they would be removed.Was told that the list would reduce quicker this way.It hasn’t.Like most I had dogs on the list while racing.

I have since transferred my two dogs on the list to Hampton Downs.Yes it will cost me about $600 to take them up,but that’s the choice I make.I have had 1 dog go thru Hampton Downs and find them to be great

I feel for you Allison, you and all the others down south.

1 hour ago, Emotive said:

I feel for you Allison, you and all the others down 

1 hour ago, Emotive said:

I feel for you Allison, you and all the others down south.

Still don't agree ..sure south island do what has to be done....but why stop something that is working....a 7hr trip to levin  is not needed when the system is working in the north....make the system work in the south island...maybe grnz need to employ John and annmarie  to go down there to make it work....still say sell levin as it used to work before at Sanson...comes down to managment

Better start building more kennels I hear from my northern buddy the Greyhound Protection outfit were ontrack at Auckland today filming they will be wanting to make some milage out of the past two weeks media coverage.

13 hours ago, bus stop said:

Better start building more kennels I hear from my northern buddy the Greyhound Protection outfit were ontrack at Auckland today filming they will be wanting to make some milage out of the past two weeks media coverage.

Having actually taken the time to speak with those in charge of the restructuring, the Levin Kennels will be totally revamped. Capacity will be increased and the quality of the facilities will be upgraded. A number of issues were identified and the new protocols will increase the number of positive outcomes.  The plan has been months in the making and is the result of consultation with the groups that actually matter including taking on board member concerns.

The GPL has long been a source of deliberately misleading information. Their latest posting on Facebook regarding the positive is no exception. When you look at the actual figures the positive while potentially damaging is the only positive this season. 1 from approximately 2500 swabs taken does not support their claims of endemic. The GPL has been in existence for approx. 5 years, in that time they have only managed to gain roughly 2500 Facebook followers, actual members far, far less. A large proportion of those followers are AR activists who reside in other countries.

It is not hard to fathom what form any impending attack will take. The GPL is predictable at best. Their leader will get the notoriety he craves for a short period of time and then will disappear back into the darkness trolling the internet. A couple of MP's will use this situation to gain political mileage, but in doing so they will effectively be criticising the government they are in coalition with, that very rarely affects change.