RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
kdt

Nash Rawiller gets 15 months

I guess most humans are so greedy. It isn' like he needs the money. I don' rob banks cause I know one day I might be caught an I don' like the penalties that might follow. Enjoy your holiday. Do the crime do the time

I honest don't get the mentality of these jockeys. I could understand a jockey trying to get away with having a punt if he was only getting a few rides but these guys. E.g. Munce, McDonald and Rawhiller plus many others. Do you think these guys are addicted to the punt or just dumb ?

There is no word yet but he may still face a criminal charge. What the HKJC decide has no bearing on what the criminal authorities may or may not do. Is it still the ICAC? if so they can be very dogmatic and ruthless in their pursuit of justice , ask Chris Munce.

1 hour ago, Dockers said:

Just stupidity. Surely the Munce example was a template for any jockey thinking about doing this. Just crazy. No one knows what happens behind close doors I suppose and who has got there claws into these jockeys. 

Just found this Dockers. Makes for interesting reading and again begs the question why he did it.

http://www.scmp.com/sport/racing/article/2143450/state-art-technology-and-50bn-betting-exchange-how-jockey-club-caught

An interesting topic. Chris Munce's criminal charge was concocted as though in being a jockey his information, and then betting, was insider trading. Bit of a stretch really, especially given 13 other runners! And surely the trainer is privy to far more information. 

The above betting exchange article is complete nonsense. The exchange exposes likely non-triers. Which begs the question of how well it is actually policed, with regards to a certain jockey who shell remain nameless.

Nash Rawiller detained trying to leave Hong Kong

Nash Rawiller detained trying to leave Hong Kong
Nash Rawiller. Photo: Darryl Sherer. 
Clinton-Payne_60x60.jpg
Article Author

Clinton Payne

12 Comments

Australian jockey Nash Rawiller is believed to have been detained trying to leave Hong Kong International Airport on Wednesday.

Long-time Hong Kong-based Australian racing journalist Alan Aitken, who works for the South China Morning Post, told RSN on Wednesday of the rumours.

"The full details will probably only come out if this gets to court and when I say if I probably mean when,” Aitken said.

“Because probably the latest on Nash is that the rumours that he was picked up at the airport trying to leave Hong Kong yesterday evening, we suspect to be quite true.

"Nobody's really had contact with him, certainly hope for his sake that's wrong, but if that's the case then the ICAC (Independent Commission Against Corruption) has got involved and given that the Jockey Club has found him guilty on charges that mirror the kind of charges that Chris Munce was up against, I would think we could be looking at a very similar outcome."

On Wednesday, Rawiller was found guilty of betting related charges by the Hong Kong Jockey Club and disqualified for 15-months.

Hong Kong’s ICAC can retain an individual for up to 48 hours for investigation.

He was found guilty of “having an interest in a bet” and “receiving a benefit for providing tips”.

Rawiller’s penalty is the longest handed down to a jockey in Hong Kong since fellow Australian rider Chris Munce was sentenced to a 30 month jail term after being convicted in 2007 of taking bribes in exchange for racing tips.

After an initial stint in a Hong Kong jail, Munce returned to Australia where he served the remainder of his penalty.

In 2008, News Limited racing writer Ray Thomas interviewed Munce who revealed he was in a cell with 30 other inmates, sleeping two to a bed on hard, wooden boards, immersed in Hong Kong's oppressive, suffocating heat.

Interestingly, I don't think Muncie was betting. He was I believe, passing on information about "which horses were working best at trackwork".  Rawiller's charge was for betting. They are very tough on lawbreakers there and I don't blame Nash for trying to leave HK ASAP. 

From article it's not clear what operation he was betting with but CEO pushed the fact they monitor illegal sites ,some laying to lose. . I can spot the reason they get bit bent out of shape over it. I can think of a few basic reasons this might go belly up , into an illegal bookie for big coin not good for health or integrity or laying your mount to lose likewise not flash.

I assume he got a contract and signed it  , I assume it says don't bet , not rocket science , don't bet fella.