RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
john legend

christen me n

I wonder if the nz ers who got $2.5 mill/ then wanted a bit more watched todays race from yonkers as lesser horses all ran past Christen Me Surely even the "heartless" amongst us would have cringed to watch  achampion treated this way. Just saying it is sad to see. (well covered prev posts)

Guest Hunterthenutter
4 hours ago, Flagship uberalles said:

Agree, sad to see the poor old boy flogged till they get every last penny out of him, should have been in a paddock 18 months ago.

was great horse should be retired

Not sure what your beef is here but Christen Me sprinted twice early on in the race and only succumbed half way down the final straight and finished approximately 4 lengths off the winner. Had the Driver been more patient a different outcome would most probably be the case.  You would then be praising his talent ; would you ? After all he is still racing in open class.

32 minutes ago, 2Piper said:

Not sure what your beef is here but Christen Me sprinted twice early on in the race and only succumbed half way down the final straight and finished approximately 4 lengths off the winner. Had the Driver been more patient a different outcome would most probably be the case.  You would then be praising his talent ; would you ? After all he is still racing in open class.

No thanks - don't think I will be telling Tim Tetrick how to drive

It is sad to see. Piper, horses from NZ running past CM . an example Luciano, a 5 win horse when exported (a nice horse sure) but what would a 32 win happy, contented Christen Me do to a Luciano ?  The "beef" is an icon having won a fortune is then discarded whereas most owners would set aside some funds for a retirement with some dignity. It was reported the nz owners did not want him back and no clause in sale agreement. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10 hours ago, john legend said:

It is sad to see. Piper, horses from NZ running past CM . an example Luciano, a 5 win horse when exported (a nice horse sure) but what would a 32 win happy, contented Christen Me do to a Luciano ?  The "beef" is an icon having won a fortune is then discarded whereas most owners would set aside some funds for a retirement with some dignity. It was reported the nz owners did not want him back and no clause in sale agreement. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't have access to racelines so I was wondering how much money Christen Me has won in the States since being there ?

And you know what happens to most ex racing standardbreds in the USA when they finish racing?They either end up being a buggy horse for the Amish and are worked hard and then go as live meat export to japan or they go straight to Japan :(. 

Oh gawd don't say that Bel, I don't get it why he was sent over there in first place I mean, was he still not competitive enough here? I thought he just got crook (that nasty virus thing that was doin the rounds) and was havin issues recoverin like he should, or did he just flat out bleed too bad they had to send him? if so why was he not just retired here? ah hang on if that were so he would not have been sold outright, oh no I can't believe his owners would be simply 'greedy' and cruel? He was a Kiwi Champ WTF....

I have to admit I couldn't see what everyone was on about as at the time I was more in The Faiths camp and The Terror's camp so in effect he was the opposition, and his owners had decided to sell yaddah yaddah, which I figgered was their choice and I guess his new owners worry now, but 'no return' clause (John how do you know that, may I ask?) and just readin this thread geezuz not likin it at all....

John mate, we all know what a fully fit on top his game ChristenMe would do to any of those fields SMASH DEM BRO!!!!!  :D

Cheers Iraklis

Iraklis, I get frequent notifications on my facebook page from a group that tries to save standardbreds from being slaughtered. NZ horses often pop among the ones they are trying to raise funds for. In fact it was nice to read recently that a horse from NZ's original owner paid the money to save him.

While you are fixating on Christian Me, just spare a thought for the "wastage" group from the top stable if as Neil Pilcher reported they normally try 50 young ones a year. ( or Godolphin who have 160-180 two year olds!)

Globe Derby lets hope you lose rating points for latest comment. I have asked many horses and most prefer a nice paddock to retire to. Not one who earnt a fortune in NZ said stick me on aplane to New York and I will bust my guts once again for new owners in a foreign country in sometime sub zero temperatures or unbearably hot temps and race often every week etc etc. . Many owners when lucky enough to get a champion will have a paddock somewhere for a few old equine mates to live out their lives in peace. I could get angry at you but not my style.

12 hours ago, john legend said:

Globe Derby lets hope you lose rating points for latest comment. I have asked many horses and most prefer a nice paddock to retire to. Not one who earnt a fortune in NZ said stick me on aplane to New York and I will bust my guts once again for new owners in a foreign country in sometime sub zero temperatures or unbearably hot temps and race often every week etc etc. . Many owners when lucky enough to get a champion will have a paddock somewhere for a few old equine mates to live out their lives in peace. I could get angry at you but not my style.

Hi John,

Perhaps, I might be regarded as one of those hungry owners, but 15 years ago, when our horse, a 6 year old, was finding it hard in the top grade, we sent him to the US. Okay, we did not sell him, but kept in the ownership. These horses are bred to race, and if their racing life can be extended, with careful consideration, then it is a good situation for horse and owner. He performed creditably, but unfortunately died, when he had a heart attack.

The dream of getting a good horse is the optimum for us owners, and wishing everyone in ownership of this wonderful sport, the best of luck in those endeavours.

Cheers.

Robert.

2 hours ago, Double R said:

Hi John,

Perhaps, I might be regarded as one of those hungry owners, but 15 years ago, when our horse, a 6 year old, was finding it hard in the top grade, we sent him to the US. Okay, we did not sell him, but kept in the ownership. These horses are bred to race, and if their racing life can be extended, with careful consideration, then it is a good situation for horse and owner. He performed creditably, but unfortunately died, when he had a heart attack.

The dream of getting a good horse is the optimum for us owners, and wishing everyone in ownership of this wonderful sport, the best of luck in those endeavours.

Cheers.

Robert.

Thanks Robert. We also have a horse overseas racing in Aussie. Obviously not a Christan Me but a very good bugger never the less . He won't be comming back. He was the reason I decided to get into ownership, and I will shed a tear when his racing days are over.v

What ever the reason CM owners had for selling was their business, and theirs alone. Putting ones own emotive spin on it doesn't really help does it.

You miss the point. I too have a horse racing at yonkers which was sold last year .It ran 4 th this morning. Its not the sales thats the problem but the sale of an out and out champion.An 8 year old that was out of form (asking for retirement)couldnt win in his last 16 races in nz/aus. but had won 32 of 52 previously. Anow 9 year old again asking for retirement forced to keep racing is a disgrace to harness racing.

One could say the same about Cardigan Bay if you have read the history.

Kept racing untill he got to the million mark. All manner of leg problems.  Was that cruel. Was it considered a disgrace to keep racing him back then . It's all pretty relative really. Remember John the days of fields full of 8,9,10 yr olds still racing. One of my favs Easton Light, 13 yr old a legend. Did he long for the retirement paddock?.

And no I havent missed the point, but the decision wasn't mine to make.it is what  it is. 

On 4/24/2018 at 5:04 PM, john legend said:

Well the obvious thing here John is the owners could have shown more interest in the horse by giving it a  good paddock to walk around for the rest of its life. They chose not to which  indicates they were only interested in the commercial aspect, i.e. what they could get out of the horse. If others can't see this they have tunnel vision.

8 hours ago, Alan B said:

Well the obvious thing here John is the owners could have shown more interest in the horse by giving it a  good paddock to walk around for the rest of its life. They chose not to which  indicates they were only interested in the commercial aspect, i.e. what they could get out of the horse. If others can't see this they have tunnel vision.

Would the trainer have got a cut of the purchase price for Christen Me?

12 hours ago, Thejanitor said:

Would the trainer have got a cut of the purchase price for Christen Me?

Dificult question to answer but here is my tale on that situation.

If the trainer acted as agent ( findiing the buyer ) they would expect a cut and deserves a cut. Being the trainer of said horse should not necessary entitle one to a cut. I would think the breaker , the pre-trainer or even former trainer could also think they have /deserve a cut. So in essence it's a "no"  from me . Also some owners or retired former trainers spell their racehorses at their own place,  and therfore not currently with a licenced trainer.  If an offer turned up that was to good to turn down how do you determine it all. I think after all it should be up to the owners,  they make the decision to change stables if required, relocate horse to a region the horse can still compete.

As with Christen Me , if I was the owner I would have given a cut to Cran, but not necessary 10% .

On 27/04/2018 at 8:45 PM, 2Piper said:

As with Christen Me , if I was the owner I would have given a cut to Cran, but not necessary 10% .

If I was his owner, I'd have him tucked up in a box every night and have him enjoying his retirement. YEARS ago. 

How often do we hear trainers say; "he'll tell us when he is ready (insert: for a spell, to come back into work, for more ground etc)? I think Christen Me is talking now. Unfortunately his "connections" are choosing not to listen. Bloody shame.