RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
john legend

Passin of Ivan Mauger

What agreat hero on the dirt track . He was such a great guy that he convinced us at hutt park to allow an evening of speedway on our track back in the early 90s. Being desperate for funds we agreed with his assurance of muffled bikes, special tyres to avoid any track damage and a big profit. Ivan was not riding himself but we proceeded because of his charisma. on the night I think noise control were run off their feet all over Wellington and Hutt ! On the sunday the track looked like a mini grand canyon with ruts about a sulky wheel deep.! We were racing in a week so Ron Cunningham and writer got heavy machinery from local contractors  free as long as we woulddrive them. I had a 5 minute instruction on a large Roller and Ron was grading .After a days  hard work we had track ready to race some horsemen even commented on how the track seemed to have been improved. Suffice to say it was a one off for Hutt Park.!

1 hour ago, john legend said:

What agreat hero on the dirt track . He was such a great guy that he convinced us at hutt park to allow an evening of speedway on our track back in the early 90s. Being desperate for funds we agreed with his assurance of muffled bikes, special tyres to avoid any track damage and a big profit. Ivan was not riding himself but we proceeded because of his charisma. on the night I think noise control were run off their feet all over Wellington and Hutt ! On the sunday the track looked like a mini grand canyon with ruts about a sulky wheel deep.! We were racing in a week so Ron Cunningham and writer got heavy machinery from local contractors  free as long as we woulddrive them. I had a 5 minute instruction on a large Roller and Ron was grading .After a days  hard work we had track ready to race some horsemen even commented on how the track seemed to have been improved. Suffice to say it was a one off for Hutt Park.!

Great story John - I think Ivan did a demonstration or something at Addington too ??

sadly I never got to Hutt Park but have fond memories of listening to the races on the radio etc. Amazing that Wgn doesnt have a track for harness (or dogs too I guess) 

1 hour ago, chelseacol said:

Great story John - I think Ivan did a demonstration or something at Addington too ??

sadly I never got to Hutt Park but have fond memories of listening to the races on the radio etc. Amazing that Wgn doesnt have a track for harness (or dogs too I guess) 

Yeah I remember the speedway at Addington too. It was a great spectacle. Not sure of the impact on the track, but it was a good initiative bringing the speedway to town. Imagine trying to pull that one now.