RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
eljay

New Zealand Netball

The Netball Association has to take full responsibility for the utter mess the game has fallen into over the last two to three years.    ALL the executive MUST resign - it has to start at the top!      I heard the woman briefly on radio this afternoon (don't know her name but she was the CEO?) and all she could say was everything in the garden was rosy, they were making the right decisions and (Cliche) they would be pressing ahead on the present lines.     Surely this is not the belief of anyone remotely sane - yes everyone at the top has to GO whether they had any or no input into the mess the game is in!    What do you think those young schoolgirls must be thinking if this is the sport they wish to pursue?    And it surely shows why such "legends" as Casey Kopua and Laura Langman turned their back on representing their country in this sport.

How on Earth Southby got the job ahead of Taurua was a mystery, and still is...but losing 4 games at a major Games where the NZ side had never done worse than Silver, probably means she won't have it much longer. That comment tonight by the Ferns captain Katrina Grant that " we haven't had the right direction for the last few months" was pretty damning.

I didn't realise so many of you Harness/Racing guys cared about the Nitball !

It's always the coaches fault.

Sacking coaches hasn't helped  the Auckland Blues !

Aussie won't be too happy either re their result .

It was obvious this coach was wrong from the outset ,just like it was with NZ Cricket coach Mike Hesson ...maybe he's been lucky with the cattle he has !

bloke - whether you personally like or dislike netball means diddly squat really.     I would hazard a guess that this sport has more women participants than any other and as such needs to be skillfully organised and administered and as such we cannot just eat sand when an obvious example of mis-management is apparent.      Being nice and smiley isn't the cure needed and it is obvious from some of the comments being made by the heirarchy of the sport the big hatchet needs to be wielded.     

Well your comments also mean didly Squat. You can call for the Board, CEO etc. to resign but you are farting against thunder. 

They will call in their PR people and talk about reviews and learning lessons from the experience but at the end of the day nothing will happen apart from one fall guy (maybe the coach) who will take the blame and save the others arses..

The problem lies at the top with the coach selection and even more so with the coach who didn't give her best seven enough game time to work up their knowledge of each others play, and were played out of position far too many times. That mentally must have wrecked havoc on the players confidence which is something the coach obviously doesn't understand. The girls gave it everything in very trying circumstances and I for one are very proud of their efforts.

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 5:52 PM, eljay said:

OK - let's wait and see.      

Told you!  Nothing apart from the Coach being the Fall Guy but of course taking her golden handshake.  But as I say who  cares as  this is a shit sport played by a small handful of countries.

13 minutes ago, bloke said:

Told you!  Nothing apart from the Coach being the Fall Guy but of course taking her golden handshake.  But as I say who  cares as  this is a shit sport played by a small handful of countries.

Like League!

I was involved in coaching Netball for over 30 years, retiring at National Age Group competition level. I have taught at both secondary and primary schools and coached three other codes. I held various coaching qualifications as well as being a qualified sports medic so I have earned the right to have a say. In my time I have witnessed many changes. Three that stand out as detrimental to many sports are as follows: 1. The revamping of national championship competitions which reduced the number of areas able to compete at national competition level. Extremely talented kids continue to miss out as they are never seen and never receive the coaching or finance they need. 2. The introduction of Kiwi Sport at primary school level which put the emphasis on taking part has been detrimental in more ways than one. The no winners, no losers philosophy introduced across the country does not promote healthy competition and does not equip our kids for the future failures that they will inevitably experience once the duvet is removed. I see a link to this philosophy and the high youth suicide rate. Kiwi Sport was in part meant to be our response to child obesity, it failed. 3. The abolition of the 5-day working week has significantly reduced the coaching pool, again talent has been lost across the codes because of work commitments. Ask any club and they will tell you that they are struggling to find staff in all areas. 

I feel for any coach that puts their name forward in this current environment. If they find themselves at odds with any individual or admin, they are pretty much doomed. Players who have been conditioned over time are often reluctant to embrace change and can work to garner support for their view. It's about culture, a word used often in sport. It only takes one to topple all.

Good post E. The White Ferns have just gone through the same thing. At least the NZF CEO had the sense to "retire" before the inevitable enquiry, but you have to question the competence of both Boards here, who were responsible for, and approved, the hiring in the first place. Jennie Wylie certainly has a few questions to answer, but probably won't. I see she was Head of Finance previously, so people management might not be her strongsuit.....:rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Ohokaman said:

Good post E. The White Ferns have just gone through the same thing. At least the NZF CEO had the sense to "retire" before the inevitable enquiry, but you have to question the competence of both Boards here, who were responsible for, and approved, the hiring in the first place. Jennie Wylie certainly has a few questions to answer, but probably won't. I see she was Head of Finance previously, so people management might not be her strongsuit.....:rolleyes:

There will be reviews but unless they come from a place of absolute honesty they will have little credibility and not properly address the failures in this instance. I suspect the dismal results have much to do with individual personalities, but in saying that there has also been an abject failure to manage at the highest level. Southy has taken a major hit from which I hope she can find a way forward. Best wishes to whoever takes on the position. They say politics and sport should never mix, the reality is politics rules.

On 7/25/2018 at 8:41 AM, Emotive said:

I was involved in coaching Netball for over 30 years, retiring at National Age Group competition level. I have taught at both secondary and primary schools and coached three other codes. I held various coaching qualifications as well as being a qualified sports medic so I have earned the right to have a say. In my time I have witnessed many changes. Three that stand out as detrimental to many sports are as follows: 1. The revamping of national championship competitions which reduced the number of areas able to compete at national competition level. Extremely talented kids continue to miss out as they are never seen and never receive the coaching or finance they need. 2. The introduction of Kiwi Sport at primary school level which put the emphasis on taking part has been detrimental in more ways than one. The no winners, no losers philosophy introduced across the country does not promote healthy competition and does not equip our kids for the future failures that they will inevitably experience once the duvet is removed. I see a link to this philosophy and the high youth suicide rate. Kiwi Sport was in part meant to be our response to child obesity, it failed. 3. The abolition of the 5-day working week has significantly reduced the coaching pool, again talent has been lost across the codes because of work commitments. Ask any club and they will tell you that they are struggling to find staff in all areas. 

I feel for any coach that puts their name forward in this current environment. If they find themselves at odds with any individual or admin, they are pretty much doomed. Players who have been conditioned over time are often reluctant to embrace change and can work to garner support for their view. It's about culture, a word used often in sport. It only takes one to topple all.

Great post !