RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Thejanitor

Winston Peters calls on Australian experience to review NZ racing structures

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/racing/103066396/winston-peters-calls-on-australian-expert-to-review-nz-racing-structures

Winston Peters calls on Australian expert to review NZ racing structures

Racing Minister Winston Peters has called on Australian horse owner, breeder and administrator John Messara to review the New Zealand racing industry's governance structures.

Messara is one of Australia's most successful racing administrators and the founder of one of its most prominent horse breeding businesses, Arrowfield Stud.

The New Zealand industry has been ailing for some time, with low prizemoney levels a big beef for owners and trainers. There has also been widespread dissatisfaction with the sport's administration and also its structure.

Peters said on Thursday he would ask Messara to review the industry and provide recommendations on future directions. "Racing is a significant industry creating $1.6 billion to GDP annually, it employs up to 50,000 people, and has many passionate supporters. However, it is vital an assessment is conducted on whether the industry is meeting its full financial potential, and whether its governance arrangements are top-heavy," Peters said in a statement. 

"For this reason it is pleasing Mr Messara has agreed to conduct a strategic review to provide advice to the Government," he said. "Mr Messara is considered one of Australia's most successful racing administrators. As chair of both Racing New South Wales and Racing Australia, he led reforms to increase and secure long-term revenue.

"His review will also assist the government in determining if the current Racing Act 2003 and the proposed Racing Amendment Bill are fit for purpose," he said.

Messara will start the review later this month with the objective of producing a report by mid-year. He will be provided administrative support through the Department of Internal Affairs.

- Stuff

9 hours ago, WOODBINE said:

Great appointment 

Does it not concern you that Messara is only a Gallops man.Also, have the Ozzies been of great assistance to NZ racing when put in postions of authority?

Appointing him to do the review as well as mentioning the 2003 Racing act in the same Pres release should be sending alarm bells to both Standardbred and Greyhound codes.

I'll stick my neck out now and say that in time its going to be a free for all with each code going there own way and the NZRB being downsized and not running the abysmal show they are now with their monopoly.

37 minutes ago, Fartoomuch said:

Does it not concern you that Messara is only a Gallops man.Also, have the Ozzies been of great assistance to NZ racing when put in postions of authority?

Appointing him to do the review as well as mentioning the 2003 Racing act in the same Pres release should be sending alarm bells to both Standardbred and Greyhound codes.

I'll stick my neck out now and say that in time its going to be a free for all with each code going there own way and the NZRB being downsized and not running the abysmal show they are now with their monopoly.

Yes, I was thinking along exactly the same lines. And being Australian, he's even less likely to have any understanding/appreciation of harness than the equivalent NZ gallops administrator.

Still, my impression is that Peters (whatever his other faults, and they are many) is aware of the tensions here, which should ensure Messara has to be an honest broker (or at least give the appearance of one). One can only hope...

Go back and read a recent article in the Informant which set out John Messiahs view of NZ racing and the direction we should take.

The headline read 'start with a blank piece of paper" and create a Racing Act relative to these times and technology.

Codes wise he favoured separate administrations controlling their own destiny and not a collective.

It was a very thought provoking and constructive interview from an administrator with a proven track record.

Read it.

1 hour ago, Basil said:

Yes, I was thinking along exactly the same lines. And being Australian, he's even less likely to have any understanding/appreciation of harness than the equivalent NZ gallops administrator.

Still, my impression is that Peters (whatever his other faults, and they are many) is aware of the tensions here, which should ensure Messara has to be an honest broker (or at least give the appearance of one). One can only hope...

Of course he is aware of the tensions because those that raised them may well have donated to his party.Of greater relevance going forward was which code funded the most.

The biggest issue all sectors face is the woeful NZRB and to a lesser extent the 2003 Racing Act.

If i was from the gallops code i would be seeking to go alone. Their market share has been considerably eroded as a result of said act and the continual under performance by the NZRB. If ever there was a case study of how a monopoly could stuff an industry up its this one IMHO

20 hours ago, Fartoomuch said:

Of course he is aware of the tensions because those that raised them may well have donated to his party.Of greater relevance going forward was which code funded the most.

The biggest issue all sectors face is the woeful NZRB and to a lesser extent the 2003 Racing Act.

If i was from the gallops code i would be seeking to go alone. Their market share has been considerably eroded as a result of said act and the continual under performance by the NZRB. If ever there was a case study of how a monopoly could stuff an industry up its this one IMHO

As the result of many years of dealing with them on many issues, I would never consider the words "politicians" and "of course" to be natural bedfellows.:D Usually it took a lot of time and effort to get them up to speed.

Wrt the NZRB, there's no doubt they could have done some things better (couldn't we all...). But there's equally no doubt that racing is a sunset industry and the NZRB are stuck with a product that's declining in popularity, for all sorts of reasons. Racing may indeed have a monopoly over racing, but the relevant sector is entertainment --- and there it faces numerous competitors.

9 minutes ago, Basil said:

As the result of many years of dealing with them on many issues, I would never consider the words "politicians" and "of course" to be natural bedfellows.:D Usually it took a lot of time and effort to get them up to speed.

Wrt the NZRB, there's no doubt they could have done some things better (couldn't we all...). But there's equally no doubt that racing is a sunset industry and the NZRB are stuck with a product that's declining in popularity, for all sorts of reasons. Racing may indeed have a monopoly over racing, but the relevant sector is entertainment --- and there it faces numerous competitors.

In the interests of intelligent discussion i'm going to take issue with some of your comments,nothing personnel of course.

The NZRB run the whole racing business, they decide who, what, how and when the various racing sectors operate.They have grossly let each sector down with mismanagement such as its over blown cost structure and employment of people with little or no experience in the respective industries. The TAB is a virtual joke and survives only through its monopoly status. I could mention Typhoon and its success but will lead it to others to comment on.

Finally, can someone tell me of any innovation out of the NZRB and its affiliates this century. I can think of a few that should have been implemented  but what about you and others

This is a great appointment by the minister of racing and must only be positive news for the racing industry, especially the harness code.

The growth of the racing in NSW after this man done the same job is amazing,so surely we can see harness racing stakes go though the roof. 

Not sure it's a great appointment. Breeders should be outlawed from administration. He will favour the galloping code, want to introduce greater allowances and more races for fillies/mares and will introduce payments to breeders from all racing stake money. Lets wait and see.

2 hours ago, rangi said:

This is a great appointment by the minister of racing and must only be positive news for the racing industry, especially the harness code.

The growth of the racing in NSW after this man done the same job is amazing,so surely we can see harness racing stakes go though the roof. 

I'm going to say Perhaps it might be good for Harness, in fact all codes if it unshackles each of them from NZRB overburden. Growth in NSW gallops has been phenomenal under his and V'Landy's direction. The same cannot be said with respect to Harness racing which is losing support at a near terminal long term rate. Take out Harold Park money which has gone to Menangle's infrastructure and reserves and i would say they are in plenty of bother. Was told recently that Harness racing has been well and truly overtaken by the Dogs and that their gambling market share is around 12%. Menangle races on Easter Monday ran for stakes of 7500, i think that says a lot about the state of Harness racing in Ozzie but that's just my summation of things.