RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Scotch Thistle

New Best Bets Layout

3 minutes ago, puha said:

Do  your homework . Teds been sending me his selections the last few years and plenty of double figure winners out of the trials .

Well thats excellent then mate? can you tell us what POT you have made from them over the last 12 months?.

1 minute ago, barryb said:

Well thats excellent then mate? can you tell us what POT you have made from them over the last 12 months?.

Why would I tell you ?Seems you have a bee in your bonnet for some reason .

No not at all, You wont tell me because you don't know.

You wont have kept records & won't know what you have bet or won or lost over the last 12 months.

I am not having a crack at you mate, just showing that what we perceive to be true isn't necessarily the case when challenged to back it up.

34 minutes ago, barryb said:

Ted does all this stuff for BGP, do they seriously know this old codger is looking at a Best Bets to mark his selections.

They are social media savy and would not understand Ted looking at a relic from the past.

Barry you have no idea. I do my form analysis from a number of sources, not just one. I still like to use the Best Bets as my hard copy and where I make notes etc. Each to their own as has been pointed out.

As I do use the Best Bets then surely I am entitled to an opinion on the new layout. Obviously you don't so why even bother to comment on this thread.   

2 minutes ago, barryb said:

So those with an opposing view are not allowed Ted?.

No one is allowed to pass comment on a dinosaur, unless it agrees with you?.

But you haven't posted an opposing view on the layout Barry. All you have done is criticize anyone using the Best Bets. 

Correct Ted, I couldn't give a ---- on the Best bets layout & thats my point.

Why would you spend $5 ( I dont even know what it costs) to mark a paper book, when you have zero need to do so.

Where do you even buy it? Next you will be telling me you go into the TAB outlet.

Do you even have an overseas bookie account Ted? you mates at BGP certainly do.

45 minutes ago, Insider said:

N1MUE, I guess we will just have to disagree, but there again that is not unusual given your stance on most things!

Nimue was bloody good for a wee while, but not for long, not even past three years of age and even worse as a broodmare, sadly as I too thought that she was something extra special, but I was wrong!

Possibly you are too. LOL

:rolleyes:  Was that really necessary Insider?  I made a harmless suggestion regarding your comp (that people should take a $1 multi) and now you're resorting to this childish nonsense.

Nimue was a very special filly - her 1000 Guineas and Bayer Classic wins will be among the better wins in those two races.  The reason she didn't do anything beyond three years of age is that she injured herself and didn't race beyond her 3yo season.  Altitude didn't race beyond three years of age either but doesn't make him a lesser horse.

and yes she was a poor broodmare, but there have been many a good mare on the track who have failed as broodmares.

and as for me - I'll leave that to the people who know me to judge, but based on what I've seen on here, I'm feeling ok about myself right now.  

28 minutes ago, barryb said:

For example

I have made in the last 12 months

1654 bets, 212 winners 12.8%s/r, average Div $10.14, POT 29.9% & a max run of outs of 45.

I not to anal on my total bets but my foldies tell me I’m doing alright .Guess you treat it more seriously than myself but like we said each go their own . Couple of reasonable  collects a year soon recover the rest . Do Ya ?

5 hours ago, Berri said:

What a crock. Owners names are essential. What hole have you crawled out of?

It's a form guide, not a property register. Given the large and increasing number of syndicated horses and multiple syndicates owning horses, the pressure on (limited) print space is high.

I'd rather see abbreviated (or no) ownership details than abbreviated form analysis. Just saying...and no need for you to be rude!

It was never just a form guide. That's what it has been demoted to....some sleazy nonsense irrelevant publication that appeals to 1500 people out of 350,000.  It used to be the bible that used to provide a race goer (note race goer not betting person) with all the relevant information for an entertainment median called racing.

It should be a form guide that needs to have appeal to as wider an audience as possible. Have you ever wondered why the industry continues to diminish in relevance as the robots continue in their quest to make an industry all about betting? It doesn't work and the results of recent years is a clear indication of that. There has been a slow watering down of racing as a sport and an admirable pass time. This product called betting is just another version of cannon fodder. Who ever heard of a collectable? That's what a race book used to be. You raced your horse, saw your name in the book and kept it for posterity's sake. All you guys need to go into the Herald's offices and look at what the coverage of racing used to be like. Then go and look at the past Best Bets.....and then the Friday Flash. Put that lot together and then compare it to what it is now. Wouldn't be so bad if we had a good web presentation to replace the paper but despite the lack of paper publication, the industry has also failed to implement a full Information Processing System that replaces the stuff that was in the papers. What's more the web offers additional opportunities but no-one is interested in taking advantage to them. Why the fuck not? I've heard every excuse under the sun and here we are....yet again....in deeper trouble. Shame on you.

Shame on everyone who supports mediocrity. The industry has just taken a big step backwards....yet again!!! Was anyone on this site surveyed to see what should have been in the Best Bets? That's a serious question by the way!! I wasn't. I've sent an email out to 50 odd people to see if they were. None of them were. So were any of you?

If that didn't happen, why do we put up with anyone who manages and designs a so called new publication, who doesn't follow the normal principles of business engagement as simple as asking their constituent members what matters....what's important? It's unforgiveable and nearly the last straw for me. I am led to believe that a bloke called Hugh Morrison might be responsible for this. Anyone know him and what his background is? I'm so angry.

6 hours ago, Berri said:

It should be a form guide that needs to have appeal to as wider an audience as possible. Have you ever wondered why the industry continues to diminish in relevance as the robots continue in their quest to make an industry all about betting? It doesn't work and the results of recent years is a clear indication of that. There has been a slow watering down of racing as a sport and an admirable pass time. This product called betting is just another version of cannon fodder. Who ever heard of a collectable? That's what a race book used to be. You raced your horse, saw your name in the book and kept it for posterity's sake. 

Isn't that the role of the on-course racebook?  I've always looked at that as the collectable - glossy paper, pictures, .... whereas the Best bets/Turf Digest was always the form guide - you scribbled on it, circled it - not really a collectors item.

That may well have been the case when everyone went to the races, which unfortunately now they do not. At the moment my internal poll is that taking names out of the book is a very big mistake and we must reach wider and harder. Mediocrity rules I'm afraid

I actually like the new format alot more spacious and easier to read .Also the race synopsis is a nice add on . Not sure why they have a Turf Digest selection each race though when it’s a Best Bets.Anyway overall a thumbs up from  this corner.

Each to their own , can see that certain aspects rock certain peoples boats.

Personally and maybe not for ever , I did like the owners names in the books cos I've got a few mates who part own a few horses , some have never and will never ever win a chook raffle, let alone a race , and some are the most jammy bastards you'd ever meet , so Yes I'd prefer the owners names in the BB.

If it's not to be then sobeit , but it's just that one extra line of information for me personally...

1 hour ago, Berri said:

That may well have been the case when everyone went to the races, which unfortunately now they do not. At the moment my internal poll is that taking names out of the book is a very big mistake and we must reach wider and harder. Mediocrity rules I'm afraid

I have raced and still race plenty and have never once thought about the Best Bets for this reason. I dont attend the majority of the runs and should they win they get a race images photo on the wall and I get a dvd copy from trackside. The dvd shows plenty of the before, different camera angles to what is screened and about 5 mins after. I dont need anymore than that. You can send the dvd back to them to add additional wins by the same horse.

35 minutes ago, barryb said:

I have raced and still race plenty and have never once thought about the Best Bets for this reason. I dont attend the majority of the runs and should they win they get a race images photo on the wall and I get a dvd copy from trackside. The dvd shows plenty of the before, different camera angles to what is screened and about 5 mins after. I dont need anymore than that. You can send the dvd back to them to add additional wins by the same horse.

People still use DVD s .Get with the times mate :)

4 hours ago, Berri said:

The Best Bets has a circulation of well under 1200.  So by that poll punters and owners alike don't give a flying fuck about the Best Bets.

Maybe if they stopped wasting money on it they could bring back free to air TV.

On 4/12/2018 at 8:44 PM, puha said:

I think I could get used to the new format  seems spacious and simple  to follow .Has all the basic information you need and will compliment online sources. .As long as the owners names are in the Raceday book most will be happy.

The new format is a bloody disgrace...the size of the horse names has been significantly reduced.

Why change something that is not broken?  The number for the races is real bad.Who wants bullshit comment opinions ?

On 4/13/2018 at 5:09 PM, rdytdy said:

They had the publication in the right format.

Compare last weeks book alongside this weeks and this weeks book looks shocking.

What idiot thought this up. The horses' names are now tiny. It's an appalling cock up.   

Ted

I agree with all you say   what a stuff up by people who shouldknow better