RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
weasel57

Help a poor little weasel please Cafers

trying to do my research for Sat and want to know the length of the Matamata straight

the matter is 'tis not to be found on NZ Racing website Clubs/Courses the obvious place to look...

anyone of you clever Cafers got the stats for me...huh? please?
does it suit front-runners or offer any 'leaders bias' recently?

current state of track is Dead 4 ...likelihood of rain there in next dew days...?

Any help greatly appreciated

16 minutes ago, weasel57 said:

trying to do my research for Sat and want to know the length of the Matamata straight

the matter is 'tis not to be found on NZ Racing website Clubs/Courses the obvious place to look...

current state of track is Dead 4 ...likelihood of rain there in next dew days...?

Don't pick anything with a 350m sprint.....:rolleyes:

1 minute ago, Ohokaman said:

Don't pick anything with a 350m sprint.....:rolleyes:

are you saying one that takes 350m to get wound up but go for horses with shorter sharper sprints? Sorry if that sounds a daft question ..

Close this window

Matamata Racecourse

Matamata racecourse stages racing on behalf of Racing Matamata. South Waikato Race Club also stages its annual meeting there in March. Covering 157 acres, it is New Zealand's largest and most successful training centre. Over 600 horses are trained on the course each day by a number of NZs leading trainers. The training facilities include an equine pool, 10 separate training tracks including the American "All Weather Trackmaster" surface, the only one of its kind in New Zealand which is capable of accommodating up to 1000 horses per day. With two grandstands overlooking the racetrack, Matamata enjoys the picturesque backdrop of the Kaimai Ranges.

Track Details: Left handed 1628 metre track with 400 metre straight.

Directions: Matamata Racecourse is situated on State Highway 27 just south of the township of Matamata itself.

Address:
Hinuera Road
Matamata

Web: www.trac.co.nz

Geographical Coordinates:
Latitude: -37.83, Longitude: 175.77

Satellite images are provided by Google, and are updated from time to time as new photos become available. Click the Map button to see street maps, or click the Hybrid button to see maps and satellite images together.

53 minutes ago, weasel57 said:

Just cast my eye over the fields:o the length of the straight isn’t one of the things  you need to factor in,swoopers still win at Matamata but the course can operate a bias at times particularly with rain . That’s a tough day on the punt,Skoozi could be onto something:)

1 hour ago, weasel57 said:

You may already know about this site but Racing & Sports has all the barrier stats for each race/distance in their free form section, it may help out a bit.

Here’s a tip that comes from my younger days - about 40 years ago it was (apparently) a fact that most winners at Matamata are trained at Matamata. I have always remembered the suggestion but can’t say that I have done any research on the matter.

7 hours ago, Ponderosa8 said:

Yeah I expected the info to be on the NZR website but not there, where did you get the 400M from.?.... just thought it wasnt as long as that.

On nztr, go to fields, and click on the meeting, gives you track circumference going weather, ect. At the top of page.

The Matamata track has two parallel straights.  It has two semi circular turns.  The circumference is about 1625 metres.  Interestingly the back straight finishes 810 metres from the winning post, so from the 1600 metre start there is the longest straight run of any course in the country, namely 790 metres.  The 1200 chutes at Trentham and Riccarton do not have such a long straight run.  I guess the straights at Matamata (being equidistant) are about 320 metres.  It is about 80 metres from the 400 metre peg until the rail straightens up.  The trainers' hut at Matamata is close to where they used to start 7 1/4 furlong races.  Apparently more bullshit is spoken in that small building than any other building in New Zealand, with the possible exception of that big building in Molesworth Street, Wellington.

12 hours ago, Tauhei Notts said:

The Matamata track has two parallel straights.  It has two semi circular turns.  The circumference is about 1625 metres.  Interestingly the back straight finishes 810 metres from the winning post, so from the 1600 metre start there is the longest straight run of any course in the country, namely 790 metres.  The 1200 chutes at Trentham and Riccarton do not have such a long straight run.  I guess the straights at Matamata (being equidistant) are about 320 metres.  It is about 80 metres from the 400 metre peg until the rail straightens up.  The trainers' hut at Matamata is close to where they used to start 7 1/4 furlong races.  Apparently more bullshit is spoken in that small building than any other building in New Zealand, with the possible exception of that big building in Molesworth Street, Wellington.

now I am confused ..is the straight 320m (as TN states) or 400m (as NZR website states)

I find Matamata a very hard track to bet at and I seldom bother. If it does have a 400m straight, it is certainly not a course that gives every runner a fair chance. It seems to favour front runners from my experience. I can't really see why you would bother putting all that study into Matamata when you could be betting at Sydney or Melbourne, or even Riccarton. Punting at Riccarton will be much easier.

9 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

I find Matamata a very hard track to bet at and I seldom bother. If it does have a 400m straight, it is certainly not a course that gives every runner a fair chance. It seems to favour front runners from my experience. I can't really see why you would bother putting all that study into Matamata when you could be betting at Sydney or Melbourne, or even Riccarton. Punting at Riccarton will be much easier.

Punting at Riccarton is always easier - best racetrack in the country - with the best on course patrons ;)

and being serious - I see there has been two lots of irrigation applied this week at matamata after 23 mm rain prior to nominations. With the forecast for rain could this be a really off track??

I've got one in which wants a firm track ... feels a bit frustrating re irrigation....