RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Guest 2Admin2

Starting Gates at Trentham - don't draw wider than 14!

Guest 2Admin2

Was looking at a replay of the Oaks and noticed that if you draw 15 or wider there is an extra 3 gate widths between you and the rest of the field.  I would have thought that there was some technology that would allow the extension to be closer.  I suppose it doesn't make that much of a difference and could be an advantage if you are drawn 15.  Drawn 18 - probably not.

Also the sponsors logo covers the gate numbers from 1 - 14 - surely they could have the sponsorship messages above the gates and not obstructing the gate number.  Afterall it is the gate number that we can only clearly see when the horses are put into the gates.

7 hours ago, 2Admin2 said:

Was looking at a replay of the Oaks and noticed that if you draw 15 or wider there is an extra 3 gate widths between you and the rest of the field.  I would have thought that there was some technology that would allow the extension to be closer.  I suppose it doesn't make that much of a difference and could be an advantage if you are drawn 15.  Drawn 18 - probably not.

Also the sponsors logo covers the gate numbers from 1 - 14 - surely they could have the sponsorship messages above the gates and not obstructing the gate number.  Afterall it is the gate number that we can only clearly see when the horses are put into the gates.

Basically the gates are designed for all of the CD were 14 is usually more than ample. Plus it makes them easier to transport around. The only place that seems to need 18 these days is the wind open expanses of Trentham, and possibly Riccarton. 

2 minutes ago, 2Admin2 said:

That's fine but why cover the gate numbers?

Good question. Write to big Al. It will take his mind off trying to sell everything that’s left at Trentham, just for a moment. 

3 minutes ago, Insider said:

Good question. Write to big Al. It will take his mind off trying to sell everything that’s left at Trentham, just for a moment. 

Seriously of you are looking at the gates and you are a serious racing follower one is not interested in the advertising but who jumps from which gate.

3 minutes ago, 2Admin2 said:

Seriously of you are looking at the gates and you are a serious racing follower one is not interested in the advertising but who jumps from which gate.

Seriously, I agree with you. 

Its the little things that count, because if you can’t them right, the powers that be, have no show of getting the big things right!

11 hours ago, SMD is rife said:

what would that sponsorship be worth do you think?

good point - we need every $ we can from sponsors - which leads me to saying I try and support sponsors where I can, especially if I have a horse in a race.

Had a starter at Trentham two weeks back - Yealands wine were the sponsors. Obviously suited me to support them:D, but I made a point of buying a mixed dozen of their reds (including a few of the top of their range). I contacted Yealands marketing department and told them why I had purchased and thanked them for their sponsorship. Also let the Club know.

And I will be doing so again as the wine is bloody good and it is disappearing fast. Gives them a tangible return, and took me all of 2 minutes to drop them a line - to which they sent a great thank you note and said they were excited about getting involved at Trentham.

Just a thought which others might want to pick up on

PS - the Tempranillo is great fun 

17 hours ago, Insider said:

Seriously, I agree with you. 

Its the little things that count, because if you can’t them right, the powers that be, have no show of getting the big things right!

Couple of things I felt the club were responsible for poor performance of a horse I liked.

Firstly trainers should be warned that ear muffs needed in the birdcage as the announcer (sounded like Andre Neil) was notably upsetting the horses with the way the speakers were blasting.

Secondly once at the starting point an attendant seemed like a 30 stone rugby forward came up to the horse and did the girth up as tight as he could. Now safety is one thing but this was way over the top. Its been proved tightness of girth can affect performance in the region of two lengths.

On 3/19/2018 at 10:01 PM, SMD is rife said:

what would that sponsorship be worth do you think?

In this instance I believe that it is substantial from what I read approximately 18/24 months ago. 

I know that the overall stake for the Oaks went from $300,000 to $400,000 when it was announced. 

I am not saying that it’s 100k but it could be. 

The sponsor also gives a lot for the strappers each raceday at Trentham and Riccarton and I think sponsors jockeys throughout NZ too. Their silks get supplied?

I am being a little vague as I don’t remember the detail, but I do remember being extremely impressed when it was announced as a number of participants were winners, that being the racing club, owners, jockeys and even strappers which I think is well thought out. . 

Their representative announced on Saturday during the presentation that he saw a continuation of the sponsorship next year and hopefully for years to come. I hope so too as it seems a great package. 

56 minutes ago, Insider said:

In this instance I believe that it is substantial from what I read approximately 18/24 months ago. 

I know that the overall stake for the Oaks went from $300,000 to $400,000 when it was announced. 

I am not saying that it’s 100k but it could be. 

The sponsor also gives a lot for the strappers each raceday at Trentham and Riccarton and I think sponsors jockeys throughout NZ too. Their silks get supplied?

I am being a little vague as I don’t remember the detail, but I do remember being extremely impressed when it was announced as a number of participants were winners, that being the racing club, owners, jockeys and even strappers which I think is well thought out. . 

Their representative announced on Saturday during the presentation that he saw a continuation of the sponsorship next year and hopefully for years to come. I hope so too as it seems a great package. 

Ummmm we are talking about the starting gates in this thread are we not? What is the starting gates sponsorship worth, not the Oaks sponsorship?

5 hours ago, SMD is rife said:

Ummmm we are talking about the starting gates in this thread are we not? What is the starting gates sponsorship worth, not the Oaks sponsorship?

OK, I am so sorry, that I misunderstood the question!

5 hours ago, SMD is rife said:

What is the sponsorship on the gates. I have never noticed who it is!

8 minutes ago, Insider said:

What is the sponsorship on the gates. I have never noticed who it is!

It covers the gate numbers!!

8 minutes ago, SMD is rife said:

Exactly. So what's it worth in your mind for that inconvenience?

It's not worth the inconvenience especially when you think there should be an easy solution.  

I imagine covering the gate numbers pisses off punters, racing enthusiasts (dying breed), trainers, owners and anyone else who has an interest in seeing how a horse jumps from the gate.

5 minutes ago, 2Admin2 said:

It's not worth the inconvenience especially when you think there should be an easy solution.  

I imagine covering the gate numbers pisses off punters, racing enthusiasts (dying breed), trainers, owners and anyone else who has an interest in seeing how a horse jumps from the gate.

What's the easy solution you speak of? Remove the name altogether and lose out on the revenue?

46 minutes ago, SMD is rife said:

What's the easy solution you speak of? Remove the name altogether and lose out on the revenue?

Surely they can bolt them on above the numbers.  You should always put the punter (revenue source) and the provider of the product first (owners and trainers).  

1 hour ago, 2Admin2 said:

Surely they can bolt them on above the numbers.  You should always put the punter (revenue source) and the provider of the product first (owners and trainers).  

Health & Safety - too risky in Wellington winds to have them higher up:ph34r:

I dont think its a biggie actually - I'd say 75% plus of starting positions are side on to the cameras anyway and we never see the starting gate numbers once they jump 

28 minutes ago, chelseacol said:

Health & Safety - too risky in Wellington winds to have them higher up:ph34r:

I dont think its a biggie actually - I'd say 75% plus of starting positions are side on to the cameras anyway and we never see the starting gate numbers once they jump 

That's only because Trackside chooses not to have a head on of the starting gates.  The stipes do.  But eh I guess offering an extra dimension to stakeholders is not a priority.  

the point being Admin it makes no difference to punters, owners etc in most instances and the club has generated cash as SMD is pointing out. As someone who is a punter and owner in that order it causes me no problem (funnily enough I tend to know the colours of the silks...)

Guys, the starting gates don’t belong to Trentham, they belong to the Central Districts Starting Gates Consortium and get carted around to the different meetings. 

Kamada Park look like the year around sponsors therefore the number problem exists at all tracks were they are used.

Incidently the gate staff also work for the consortium and travel from meeting to meeting.

Do all the other staying gates in NZ have numbers on them?