RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Gruff

Canterbury Belle

I noticed in the first today at Benalla an Interesting first starter with a pile of owners with Canterbury Belle in the lineage,raced around the same time as vin damour who’s in Black caviars lineage. Censibelle did little at the track but expect more here:ph34r:

Yes indeed those years were memorable, for 3yo racing and before Canterbury Belle there was that filly of Andertons Powley  who started off her career with multiple wins in a row. Someone has compared Savvy Coup with Princess Coup in the last day, so far Savvy Coup does not even compare to these 2 when looking at their 3yo stats.

As an aside was it Powley that had to be destroyed in flight or was it on the boat  because she broke out of her crate? rumour at the time was the fire axe was used  I do not know if that is true ....can anyone confirm?.

Just now, Yir Tiz said:

Yes indeed those years were memorable, for 3yo racing and before Canterbury Belle there was that filly of Andertons Powley  who started off her career with multiple wins in a row. Someone has compared Savvy Coup with Princess Coup in the last day, so far Savvy Coup does not even compare to these 2 when looking at their 3yo stats.

As an aside was it Powley that had to be destroyed in flight or was it on the boat  because she broke out of her crate? rumour at the time was the fire axe was used  I do not know if that is true ....can anyone confirm?.

Yes it was Yir Tiz - injured on ferry crossing and had to be destroyed. I loved that filly - can remember as a kid having my first $25 bet on her:wacko:

41 minutes ago, Gruff said:

I noticed in the first today at Benalla an Interesting first starter with a pile of owners with Canterbury Belle in the lineage,raced around the same time as vin damour who’s in Black caviars lineage. Censibelle did little at the track but expect more here:ph34r:

I raced one in a Te Akau syndicate out of Censibelle - No Nonsense.

Was my first galloping winner actually - funny horse but had a bit of ability on his day.

Te Akau "decided" he would suit Singapore - he didn't

50 minutes ago, Yir Tiz said:

I think the 'fire axe' referred to the pacer Vanderford becoming panicked on a plane....Powley was on a very rough ferry crossing and died as a result ....dehydration and associated stress....as a result of that horror crossing NZ Rail altered the criteria for livestock crossing Cook Strait.

2 hours ago, chelseacol said:

Yes it was Yir Tiz - injured on ferry crossing and had to be destroyed. I loved that filly - can remember as a kid having my first $25 bet on her:wacko:

I believe she is resting at waterlea racecourse, although stand to be corrected, what a heartbreaker that was, i've never forgot it, was a huge fan of her, she was by noble bijou and Canterbury belle by Beaufort sea i think, always liked the progeny of that sire, think he had a horse in one of the cup races, call melco or something similar, used to follow sharebroker also a handy type in his day. Left some handy types.

8 minutes ago, Kotare_Hunter said:

I think Powley was named after Cliff Powell and/or his wife who was previously an Anderton.

Hi K.H.

I know there was a very well respected trainer in Wingatui called Ashley Powell, and perhaps he married an Anderton. Not sure about this, but just putting it out there for others to expand on.

Cheers.

Robert.

3 hours ago, Portfolio said:

Canterbury Belle, what a great mare. 

Trained by the great Dave Kerr (and Jan of course). For Nick Wigley out of calico queen (? Sp I think ) who was imported and by the stud thoroughbred teaser - go figure)

Does bode the question that I think (subject to your feedback) that Dave Kerr is the last South Island based trainer to train a group one winner in Australia (elders Handicap then Doncaster now) - is that right?

michael pitman has a chance to break that now and I hope for his sake he does. It’s overdue. 

7 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Does bode the question that I think (subject to your feedback) that Dave Kerr is the last South Island based trainer to train a group one winner in Australia (elders Handicap then Doncaster now) - is that right?

Now Stradbroke Handicap

11 hours ago, Dopey said:

Trained by the great Dave Kerr (and Jan of course). For Nick Wigley out of calico queen (? Sp I think ) who was imported and by the stud thoroughbred teaser - go figure)

michael pitman has a chance to break that now and I hope for his sake he does. It’s overdue. 

Callao Queen,  by Sea Artist

Powley, jeez that brings back some great memories, a team of us went up there for the day all young fellas, got a rental at the airport couldn't believe the traffic, only got on the course about 2 mins before the first race. I put a $100 each way on horse in the first and ended up with the wrong horse, but it won paid 16, wow this my day to roar, anyway in  Powleys race they said she is now paying 1.40 for a win and 1.40 for a place, so off I go and put 2000 for a win ran second beaten by Summer Haze half a head and paid 1.40 for a place. I managed to end up square for the day, but I wasnt roaring much after that. The same bunch went up there for the cup for next 10 years or so great times. I think we have seen the best of racing, doesn't seem to have the same atmosphere now days.

8 minutes ago, badger said:

Powley, jeez that brings back some great memories, a team of us went up there for the day all young fellas, got a rental at the airport couldn't believe the traffic, only got on the course about 2 mins before the first race. I put a $100 each way on horse in the first and ended up with the wrong horse, but it won paid 16, wow this my day to roar, anyway in  Powleys race they said she is now paying 1.40 for a win and 1.40 for a place, so off I go and put 2000 for a win ran second beaten by Summer Haze half a head and paid 1.40 for a place. I managed to end up square for the day, but I wasnt roaring much after that. The same bunch went up there for the cup for next 10 years or so great times. I think we have seen the best of racing, doesn't seem to have the same atmosphere now days.

bloody hell Badger you should be called Big Kahunas

That was a hell of a punting approach back then.

Super horse Powley - remember her winning them in a row and doing the 1000 Guineas down here. Great era of horses..

On 18/03/2018 at 2:23 PM, chelseacol said:

Wasn't injured I believe it was a rough crossing and heat exhaustion was the issue.  

51 minutes ago, 2Admin2 said:

Wasn't injured I believe it was a rough crossing and heat exhaustion was the issue.  

Yes you are right - when I read Pam's post I remembered the detail better. I can still remember being shocked as a kid when the news broke....

1 minute ago, chelseacol said:

Yes you are right - when I read Pam's post I remembered the detail better. I can still remember being shocked as a kid when the news broke....

She wasn't the only horse that died.  She was one of my favorites.  I was fortunate to meet the Andertons later in life and we talked about Powley.  Clearly she was their favourite.

3 hours ago, Shad said:

Dave kerr also trained the gaffa, redback, and straight line i think, probably many more that i have forgotten about.

gaffa - sold to US after his 2000 Guineas win - from Dave’s own breeding family, Radback, Clansman, Canterbury Belle, straight line, player (cocky golfer), pastime and Slice (both by Icelandic), pasithia, gloss (by Pompeii Court), group winner Domingo (mistral Dancer) he also won the Gosford Guineas and ran 5th in Rosehill Guineas. Won his next 5 in a row on return to NZ! Very temperamental horse but the best I handled.  Beechwood Bold - good open class John grigg winner (or place getter), Kap the bid, Vicky buck (daughter of Canterbury Belle), Joan, and I would have missed many many. 

Great years lots of memories. 

44 minutes ago, Dopey said:

gaffa - sold to US after his 2000 Guineas win - from Dave’s own breeding family, Radback, Clansman, Canterbury Belle, straight line, player (cocky golfer), pastime and Slice (both by Icelandic), pasithia, gloss (by Pompeii Court), group winner Domingo (mistral Dancer) he also won the Gosford Guineas and ran 5th in Rosehill Guineas. Won his next 5 in a row on return to NZ! Very temperamental horse but the best I handled.  Beechwood Bold - good open class John grigg winner (or place getter), Kap the bid, Vicky buck (daughter of Canterbury Belle), Joan, and I would have missed many many. 

Great years lots of memories. 

You missed one good one, Just a Rebel. Owned by commentator Dave Clarkson if I recall correctly. I got him when he won his very first race at long odds at Rangiora, again if I recall correctly, it was a while ago