RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Ohokaman

Bonecrusher statue....

The bronze of Phar Lap at Timaru is something special as are the those in Newmarket England, especially the Brigadier Gerard one which is in the Paddock at Newmarket.

Until I personally see Bonecrusher I will reserve my opinion.

A life size bronze is one of the greatest challenges of the modern artist, yet they are still light years away from what what produced 2000+ years ago.

[Dont believe me? Google Riace Bronzes, which I personally saw 18 months ago - breathtaking.] 

IMO, I think the only blue they made is having a saddle and bridle as part of it. It looks like the horse has dropped the rider and has bolted! Without the gear, I think it would look better. Apart from The Cambridge Stud Sir T, the best I've seen is Vintage Crop at The Curragh, Wally Lewis outside Suncorp Stadium and thirdly, Payne Stewart at Pinehurst. All capture the spirit. But Bonecrusher looks like he's bolted!

1 hour ago, Trump said:

IMO, I think the only blue they made is having a saddle and bridle as part of it. It looks like the horse has dropped the rider and has bolted! Without the gear, I think it would look better. Apart from The Cambridge Stud Sir T, the best I've seen is Vintage Crop at The Curragh, Wally Lewis outside Suncorp Stadium and thirdly, Payne Stewart at Pinehurst. All capture the spirit. But Bonecrusher looks like he's bolted!

Like a Formula 1 car......all Horse Power enthusiasts should love it like one I saw on a Trackside documentary last night driving a Merc sports car around Tamaki Drive with Andre Neill !

FFS guys!  Peter Mitchell put up his own dosh to build the statue.  Bonecrusher was treated like family for over 30 years and had a retirement that very few geldings do.  Bonecrusher provided many of us with lasting memories and dare I say it addicted us to the racing game.

It is a memorial, a head stone - how many of you didn't get your parents head stones right in others opinions? 

Bonecrusher was smuggled onto the site in the middle of the night so the Council wouldn't stop his burial.  The Mitchell's and the ARC put in a lot of effort for this memorial to happen.

The more I look at it the more I like it.  He doesn't need a jockey and in some respects I doubt he ever did.  Like Winx they were only ever passengers.  He is now unencumbered but the saddle and bridle show he was a race horse.  Unlike Sir Tristram he wasn't a stallion - he was a racehorse!

RIP Red.

9 minutes ago, 2Admin2 said:

FFS guys the Peter Mitchell put up his own dosh to build the statue.  Bonecrusher was treated like family for over 30 years and had a retirement that very few geldings do.  Bonecrusher provided many of us with lasting memories and dare I say it addicted us to the racing game.

It is a memorial, a head stone - how many of you didn't get your parents head stones right in others opinions? 

Bonecrusher was smuggled onto the site in the middle of the night so the Council wouldn't stop his burial.  The Mitchell's and the ARC put in a lot of effort for this memorial to happen.

The more I look at it the more I like it.  He doesn't need a jockey and in some respects I doubt he ever did.  Like Winx they were only ever passengers.  He is now unencumbered but the saddle and bridle show he was a race horse.  Unlike Sir Tristram he wasn't a stallion - he was a racehorse!

RIP Red.

We all know he was a racehorse FFS.....and if you didn't, read the racing history they have attached.....!!:rolleyes:

Leaving racing gear on was a mistake and completely unnecessary.

And Gary Stewart might disagree about his value....winning 17 races on him suggests not a bad partnership.

2 minutes ago, Ohokaman said:

We all know he was a racehorse FFS.....and if you didn't, read the racing history they have attached.....!!:rolleyes:

Leaving racing gear on was a mistake and completely unnecessary.

And Gary Stewart might disagree about his value....winning 17 races on him suggests not a bad partnership.

What about the person who rode him in all his track work?

What about the strapper who attended to him?

The point is he is a racehorse - this isn't a Gary Stewart memorial its a Bonecrusher memorial. 

30 minutes ago, 2Admin2 said:

What about the person who rode him in all his track work?

What about the strapper who attended to him?

The point is he is a racehorse - this isn't a Gary Stewart memorial its a Bonecrusher memorial. 

Yes and he won 18 races. 17 of those with ONE jockey.  The only one anyone remembers. 

9 minutes ago, Ohokaman said:

Yes and he won 18 races. 17 of those with ONE jockey.  The only one anyone remembers. 

OK - then have Frank Ritchie on the plinth as well, Shaune too.  How about Mrs Mitchell who fed him for the last 22 years?

It's a memorial to Bonecrusher not anyone else.

24 minutes ago, 2Admin2 said:

OK - then have Frank Ritchie on the plinth as well, Shaune too.  How about Mrs Mitchell who fed him for the last 22 years?

It's a memorial to Bonecrusher not anyone else.

I can see both sides of this debate, so how about someone more skilled than me on a computer, creating a poll thread on here. Jockey or no Jockey, just to see what the general feeling is.

Cheers.

Robert.

4 hours ago, Double R said:

I can see both sides of this debate, so how about someone more skilled than me on a computer, creating a poll thread on here. Jockey or no Jockey, just to see what the general feeling is.

Cheers.

Robert.

Agree Robert. While leaving the racing gear on the sculpture just looks bloody silly, the simple fact is that a damn good jockey riding him to 17 wins in some of the most prestigious races of the time helped create the legend. They were a special partnership and IMO deserve to be remembered as such. I'm a bit surprised the Mitchells haven't recognised that fact.

Then again, the ARC might decide to charge anyone who wants to have a pic on the Champ...might be a good earner.....:rolleyes:

7 hours ago, 2Admin2 said:

FFS guys!  Peter Mitchell put up his own dosh to build the statue.  Bonecrusher was treated like family for over 30 years and had a retirement that very few geldings do.  Bonecrusher provided many of us with lasting memories and dare I say it addicted us to the racing game.

RIP Red.

Just ike Phar lap didn’t need Pike and Veandercross didn’t need Shane Dye:ph34r:... this Statue may be a nice piece of work Addy but it doesn’t capture the uniqueness of Bonecrusher for mine

Veandercross didn't need Shane Dye on at least one occasion.

You are probably right - we should have weight until Gary Stewart died and then sent them both to the taxidermist.

16 minutes ago, hesi said:

If you read this article Gruffy, it's hard to know what else they could have done to capture his uniqueness

Bonecrusher bronze statue unveiled at Ellerslie

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
The life-sized bronze statue of Bonecrusher at Ellerslie sits directly above where he was buried.
SUPPLIED

The life-sized bronze statue of Bonecrusher at Ellerslie sits directly above where he was buried.

A life-size statue of one of New Zealand's most popular racehorses will ensure he will never be forgotten by punters at Ellerslie.

A bronze statue immortalising Bonecrusher was unveiled at the home of the Auckland Racing Club (ARC) on Thursday.

Bonecrusher, widely regarded as one of the best racehorses ever to race in Australasia, passed away in 2015 aged 32.

On Saturday at Ellerslie, the $200,000 Group I Bonecrusher race will be contested in honour of the first New Zealand racehorse to win $1 million in stakes.

Bonecrusher’s trainer, Frank Ritchie, was at the unveiling along with the artist behind the bronze statue Michelle Farrell.

"This was the horse I made my name with, he was such a special horse and always had a twinkle in his eye," Ritchie said.

"As soon as he won his first race as a two-year-old here at Ellerslie we knew he had a bright future. 

"To see Bonecrusher immortalised like this stirs a lot of emotion and brings back a lot of great memories, it’s fantastic to see and I think Michelle and her team have done an incredible job."

The detailed statue features the champion racehorse in action and includes his famous shoulder scar and unique protruding tongue. 

It was initially made out of clay before being broken down into 26 pieces to be cast in bronze at a foundry in Onehunga. 

The statue sits directly above where Bonecrusher was buried.

Bonecrusher’s owner Peter Mitchell and his family have not revealed the cost of the monument but it took Farrell 15 months to complete.

The Mitchell family approached Farrell shortly after the death of Bonecrusher.

"We studied hundreds of photos and produced numerous drawings to ensure we could create a likeness that would be a fitting tribute," Farrell said.

ARC chief executive, Paul Wilcox, said he expects the statue to get a good reception. 

"The club is grateful to Peter and his family for allowing us to have such a wonderful horse rest in our grounds."

Bonecrusher raced 44 times for 18 wins, five seconds and 12 thirds.

- Stuff

I don’t just look at the pictures Hesi thanks :) maybe I need to see it firsthand, my brother was a huge fan so be interesting to hear his assessment 

22 minutes ago, 2Admin2 said:

Veandercross didn't need Shane Dye on at least one occasion.

You are probably right - we should have weight until Gary Stewart died and then sent them both to the taxidermist.

That a play on words Addy? You suggesting Gary liked his Pies and Chips? Bronze statue is it not? Shane Dye is probably the only rider in Australasia that could of got Veandercross home in the 92 McKinnon but that obviously was just thrown in because of the obvious:Dyou like it so good for you:)