RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Baz (NZ)

Auckland Cup - Blasts From The Past

Great Videos BAZ.... Thankyou.

Question:   (    and I'll post this in a new thread as well)

Do  Any Race Cafe posters have an Auckland Cup Winner named after them ??

I am !!

Guess the year and Full breeding.

Edited by Black Kirrama
punctuation

27 minutes ago, Black Kirrama said:

Great Videos BAZ.... Thankyou.

Question:   (    and I'll post this in a new thread as well)

Do  Any Race Cafe posters have an Auckland Cup Winner named after them ??

I am !!

Guess the year and Full breeding.

That's easy....stands out a mile mate!.....1984 Stylish Dude! :D

Gub   no wonder you are a Rating 121 Cafe !

I was born in 1950..Matamata.

My Dad ( JOCK ) had friends who had a colt by Revelation

So go from there buddy !

Bob Autridge knows all the happenings from those days.

As a rising 2 year old kid  I wandered off from the   Arawa Street, Matamata TAB on New Years Day 1952..

Dad burst out from the TAB looking for me shouting "" REV"" where are you ?

Many Matamata locals took this as an Omen Bet for that 1952  Auckland Cup !

A very young Norm Crawford had me safely eating an icecream much to the relief of my Dad.

Bob Autridge will tell a different story about how it was his dad Bill who rescued me.

REV won the 1952 Auckland Cup and The legend lives on !!

Rev

13 minutes ago, hesi said:

Baz, would you have anywhere a video of Zonda's Derby win.

If so, would you mind posting it

Thanks

Sorry Hesi...I don't. Do you think Vinny or Roger would have a copy or even Trackside TV? :unsure:

Would be nice if Trackside could create a youtube channel dedicated to our classic races of the past! :wub:

3 hours ago, Baz (NZ) said:

1980 Auckland Cup

Blue Denim was part of my first (and possibly only treble), along with Ruanuku and Velvet Brown, at Rotorua.  Think I was 7-8 at the time and rushed home from school on Monday afternoon to see what Dad had collected.  Remember being slightly disappointed with $70, but looking back Blue Denim was class, Ruanuku (I think) loved Rotorua.  I picked Velvet Brown because it's two previous runs were a third, then second. A 7YO's logic - a win must be next

22 minutes ago, von Smallhaussen said:

what are all those people doing there? ;)

Maybe Trackside should take notes of the production.  Professional commentators, lengthy prelims, Great interviews.  All the film angles we have today.  Brings back memories of my Dad and I sitting at home or at the local watching for the full half hour or more to see how the horse went that we bought in the local racing club Calcutta went.

16 minutes ago, Berri said:

I agree. The programming talks fuck all about betting and concentrates on the horses and players. Andy....this is what I have been talking to you about for over a year.

I tend to agree Berri although in those days we had put on our bets for the day (small yellow slips of paper) before we went off to see the rugby and listened to the delayed radio broadcast on our transistor radio. 

However surely they can do better and met the modern demand for last minute punting.  Australia seem to have it worked out on their big days better than we do.  

We'll probably switch straight after the race to the next from Wagga Wagga.

Highlight of my first Auckland Cup meeting

1.Watching 2 T/A horses quinella the hightweight..Ocean Monarch and Ake Ake

2.Drinking heavily from the finish of that race.

3 Backing Gallery (Trevor Temm) in the cup

4 Continuing to drink

5 Having chips and eggs at the Ellerslie motor Inn

6 Watching the flying squad chase some islanders thru the Inn

7 Asking the van driver to pull over near the Bombays as i think i had eaten something that was off.

8 Waking up the following day still in the van parked in my mates driveway.

4 hours ago, crustyngrizzly said:

Highlight of my first Auckland Cup meeting

1.Watching 2 T/A horses quinella the hightweight..Ocean Monarch and Ake Ake

2.Drinking heavily from the finish of that race.

3 Backing Gallery (Trevor Temm) in the cup

4 Continuing to drink

5 Having chips and eggs at the Ellerslie motor Inn

6 Watching the flying squad chase some islanders thru the Inn

7 Asking the van driver to pull over near the Bombays as i think i had eaten something that was off.

8 Waking up the following day still in the van parked in my mates driveway.

crusty the date was 1/1/75. Ocean Monarch was ridden by Gary Bell and Ake Ake by John Grylls. The quinella paid $7.30. Later in the day John won the Auckland Cup on Kia Maia. Gallery did not race that day. Only two Te Awamutu horses raced in the Cup that year. Sindicato and Skite. Skite was by the same sire as Gallery- Showoff 2 hence your possible confusion!

27 minutes ago, gubellini said:

crusty the date was 1/1/75. Ocean Monarch was ridden by Gary Bell and Ake Ake by John Grylls. The quinella paid $7.30. Later in the day John won the Auckland Cup on Kia Maia. Gallery did not race that day. Only two Te Awamutu horses raced in the Cup that year. Sindicato and Skite. Skite was by the same sire as Gallery- Showoff 2 hence your possible confusion!

I think any confusion can be summed up by point number 2.

Question,Did Gallery ever start in an Auckland Cup?If he did was Ray Cleaver the jock?

Pretty sure that Ocean Monarch and Ake Ake also quinelled the Boxing Day Highweight.

20 minutes ago, crustyngrizzly said:

Question,Did Gallery ever start in an Auckland Cup?If he did was Ray Cleaver the jock?

Pretty sure that Ocean Monarch and Ake Ake also quinelled the Boxing Day Highweight.

crusty the Boxing Day Highweight was won by Ocean Monarch and Gary Bell from Easter Boy and Alwyn Tweedie. Ake Ake was unplaced. On the second day Ake Ake won the Highweight ridden by John Grylls from Shirani and Tom Fallon. Ocean Monarch did not start. On the fourth day Ake Ake and John Grylls won the Highweight from Bonnybard and Dick Walsh. Ocean Monarch did not run.

40 minutes ago, crustyngrizzly said:

crusty Gallery never raced in an Auckland Cup.

On 08/03/2018 at 5:40 AM, Baz (NZ) said:

1985 Auckland Cup

1987 Auckland Cup

1988 Auckland Cup

1986 Auckland Cup

Cheers for that Baz,great day had by all on the 1-1-87.

Crowd was huge that day,remember watching the cup from the end of the stables with Zek Wolf,Freddie M,Steve C and Billy B.Pockets full,great memories. 

On 3/8/2018 at 9:08 PM, Baz (NZ) said:

Sorry Hesi...I don't. Do you think Vinny or Roger would have a copy or even Trackside TV? :unsure:

Would be nice if Trackside could create a youtube channel dedicated to our classic races of the past! :wub:

that would be an excellent idea that's half the problem