RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Ohokaman

Chautauqua....has he had enough....???

6 hours ago, Ohokaman said:

Shame he didn't give any detail about what he actually did.

If anyone can "fix" him, Monty can.

Here's the Lomitas story.

I've heard it told by Monty. A four hour Join-up lesson. Unheard of. A process that usually takes 10 minutes when starting young ones (he would say he doesn't break them but starts them P4P). It was behind closed doors, so exactly what happened we will probably never know.

On 7/26/2018 at 11:30 AM, poundforpound said:

His principles are based on those of the American Indians ( I presume you know that so apologies if I’m talking down to you ), they being that as herd animals horses will respond well to leadership, and they develop strong relationships between reward and good behaviour 

Clearly we don’t know how Monty Roberts applied those principles ( and others ) in this exact instance, but I could guess.

I’ve seen a video of him working with unbroken horses that belonged to Betty Windsor, and he broke and rode them within a couple of hours.

Pretty fucking amazing I’d have thought, and further evidence that horse abuse ( spurs, whips, jagging their mouths, over working them, screaming at them ) has NO place in racing.

30 minutes, not 2 hours in this demo and I'd say that's more usual.

and

1 hour ago, Pegasus 9 said:

He has refused to jump again. Surely his message must be getting through by now.

Think Stewards reported it was last chance saloon, surely they cannot go back on that.Almost be " right it's your last chance and if you don't do it you will be on your last chance" .  When's the Castlepoint Cup as AB offered to train him for that. I want to book flights and see that . 

Is this Everest opening up a wee bit for Nature Strip ?

On 8/7/2018 at 1:12 PM, Red Rum said:

Think Stewards reported it was last chance saloon, surely they cannot go back on that.Almost be " right it's your last chance and if you don't do it you will be on your last chance" .  When's the Castlepoint Cup as AB offered to train him for that. I want to book flights and see that .

Imagine the crowd. And the old boy would be having a ball showing them all how to gallop :)

Reading between the lines of Monty Robert's latest in the SMH it appears a tug of love/greed going on and a who's got the  biggest wanger . You can have all the money in the world and have no class.

Micheal Dickenson has been mentioned a few times on the All Weather issue . He trained a great steeplechaser called Wayward Lad throughout the 80s..He was one of his famous five.  It was clear to everyone , including the Ladbrokes punters in dirty smokey shops in the east end of London  who had never seen a horse in the  flesh before that Wayward Lad had seen his best days. The Dickinson's wanted to retire him, one owner a disciple of Gorden Gecko decided greed is good and would have been happy Wayward Lad flogging around the gaffs on mid winter Mondays with 12.7 on his back. A impasse was settled in the sale ring, Micheal's Dad Tony Dickenson an old time jumps trainer went to 42000 guineas about 90000 bucks , a lot of coin in late 80s to secure him. He was promptly retired as soon as he stepped out the sale ring at Doncaster Sales.He lived like a king till dying aged 28. That's class.

Someone has been treating him obviously....they won't give up easily clearly.

On Tuesday Racing NSW stewards issued a release declaring Chautuaqua would trial on Saturday at Rosehill during the San Domenico Stakes meeting.

The statement read:

Racing NSW Stewards have given consideration to an application from the connections of Chautauqua, represented by Mr Rupert Legh, to permit the gelding to barrier trial in an attempt to be passed to race again. In making the application, the connections have provided the following submissions; 

1. The gelding has been placed under the care of a well-respected thoroughbred behaviourist and has responded well to his methods;

2. The Stewards have received evidence of Chautauqua on 16, 17, 20 and 21 August 2018 completing a number of jump outs conducted at Rosehill Gardens Racecourse, whereby he jumped satisfactory on all occasions, including before ATC Starter, Mr Dale Jeffs, this morning, and;

3. An application was made to allow Chautauqua to compete in an official barrier trial to be conducted between races at Rosehill Gardens on Saturday, 25 August 2018, to simulate raceday conditions. 

After giving consideration to the submissions, the Stewards have permitted Chautauqua to barrier trial in an open raceday barrier trial to be conducted at Rosehill Gardens on Saturday, 25 August 2018, on the following conditions; 

1. Chautauqua be required to barrier trial to the satisfaction of the Stewards in two consecutive official barrier trials prior to being given permission to race again, and;

2. Should the gelding refuse to jump from the barriers in any of those official barrier trials, then Racing NSW Stewards would refuse the nominations of the gelding from barrier trials and races under the provisions of AR50. 

In allowing Chautauqua to barrier trial again, the Stewards were mindful of the submissions made by connections and were encouraged by the gelding satisfactorily jumping from the barriers in numerous jump outs.

In addition, the Stewards were conscious of providing every opportunity to the connections of Chautauqua to enable the gelding to return to racing and are satisfied on the available evidence that recent failures to begin from the barriers are related to behavioural issues and not a veterinary condition that is causing the gelding to remain in the barriers. 

The barrier trial will be conducted over 1000m between races 3 and 4 and nominations will close at 1pm on Wednesday, 22 August 2018. The field will be restricted to eight runners to be determined by Racing NSW. 

The confirmation of an official trial came after Wayne Hawkes declared Chautauqua had been flying out of the gates in unofficial jump outs. 

1 hour ago, Ohokaman said:

Yep, if I were Chautauqua  Id go next time,  hose home in style in trial then come the big day stand still and stick one hoof up to the connections ( in place of finger) and walk the trip past the stands in own time and hopefully get the standing ovation he deserves. They cannot give him the champions send off do it yourself mate. Bloody dead set champion made a circus act. Sorry I think the connections are tossers ( don't know them just in this instance my opinion of this farce). . Nothing I wouldn't say to there greedy arse faces although I wouldn't cross a betting hall to say hi if they were giving money away.

Saw him go round today, jesus he still has a turn off foot coming down the home straight, wasn't even pushed (obviously no need), but even more obvious is that he clearly doesn't want to be there. Very slow away again today. Dead right Redrum re: connections of horse. They bloody know they will wait a very long time before they get another one with half his ability and raw speed, so they are being disgracefully greedy here. They're making themselves look like a joke and aren't making too many friends over this debacle I wouldn't think. But they just wanna make more money. Hopefully the stewards make the call for them. 

6 minutes ago, Leggy said:

On that effort it doesn't exactly look to me like there's anything wrong with him or that he's lost interest in racing.

Definitely hasn't lost interest in racing going by the way he stuck his neck out last 100m.In the old days would have got a couple of whips on the arse before he went into stalls to stir him up but you not allowed to do that now.

I say let him start, if punters want to risk him either way, pay your money and take the chance, don't  call it gambling  for nothing, some of those trotters break week in and week out and get many chances before anything  is done, but i guess they don't have the same profile of this champ. What a horse he has been.

9 minutes ago, Leggy said:

On that effort it doesn't exactly look to me like there's anything wrong with him or that he's lost interest in racing.

I see what you are saying but they all cruised to line in trial , a non event. A  human athlete can choose to retire at top, boxers Joe Calzaghe , Floyd Mayweather , sprinter Usain Bolt , Zidane walking away from Real Madrid , leave on a high , people remember that, does anyone want to remember Chautauqua as the horse that stood in stalls over and over again. Is he going to run down Redzeal,  Nature Strip etc etc after losing 10 lengths even if he does start. Joe Calzaghe could have won many more title fights, cream the coin but he was a better person than that. Sports about legacy, and clearly money money money for some.