RaceCafe NZ's Premier Racing Community
  • Announcements

• scooby3051

Winter Super Comp   06/16/2018

Winter getaway to Fiji....Hotel and airfares.....Comp to start in July.... details soon.....
Ohokaman

Chautauqua....has he had enough....???

Been fascinated to read all the comments on social media about why he won't come out of the gates. We spent a lot of last winter puzzling a similar thing with one of our horses. She loves working. Loves Racing & is 100% fit, healthy, happy & in no pain. But took to getting slower & slower away. We tried a few gear changes & they didn't work. Everyone else seemed to get super stressed at the gates wanting her to jump & she got 1000% worse! Once we pusuaded everyone to just back off & leave her be, she decided to jump out again. Though it's still on her terms & I'd never bet on what she's going to do. She's very strong minded & likes very set routine. If anything isn't to her liking then she's not happy. Sometimes you just have to accept that you can't control everything. Chautauqua looks like the kind of horse that knows his own mind & will definitely have the final word on the subject.

I tend to agree.  He didn't look unhappy in his recent "outings" and I'm sure a vet(s) has been all over him.

Have they tried schooling him over jumps?

Send him to Dummy and he'd clean up every Open sprint in the country carrying 80kg.