RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.

I keep a little spreadsheet of my fave stallion's progeny racing in NZ.

They are still winning from south to north and east to west (except for the South Island) and, on good and bad tracks, from 1200-3200m.

But only one 2yo by Tavistock has raced this season. And he's produced six individual 3yo winners here (as of today's date ...an Oaks to come??)

The great majority of his winners are 4 and 5 year-olds.

Make of this what you will ... just thought breeders would find at least some of this quite interesting.

TAVISTOCK

2017/18 Season to 06/3/18

New Zealand only

Wins: 44

Individual winners: 30

Best winners: Gobstopper, Hiflyer, Excalibur, Travimyfriend

Male wins: 27 (26 geldings; 1 colt (Athletica)

Female wins: 17 (14 mares; 3 fillies – Cead Mile Failte; Milseain; Fancy More)

Most individual wins: Excalibur (4)  - all since December 2017; 

2yo wins (0) – one runner, Tavisan (3 starts, fin 5th of 10 in Matamata Slipper Feb 2018)

3yo wins: 6 – Aero de Paris, Athletica, Tavlin;  Cead Mile Failte; Milseain; Fancy More

4yo: 18 

5yo: 17

6yo: 3

1200-1600m: 29

1600-3200m: 15

Best (exact) distances : 1400m (10); 2100 (10); 1600m (9)  and 1200m (8)

Distance range of winners: 1200m to 3200m

Track conditions: Good2 (Woodville Jan 25 to Heavy11 Te Awamutu Oct 8)

Racecourses: 20 different tracks from Invercargill to Ruakaka, and from New Plymouth to Gisborne (but none on West Coast South Island!

Most wins at: Awapuni (6) then Ellerslie (5) - so far!

Damsires: 23 of the 30 individual winners have different damsires – from Cape Cross to Zabeel

Best outcross: Stravinsky mares  (4) – Night Nurse, Hiflyer, Hannah Marene, Excalibur; then Zabeel mares (3) - Athletica, Gobstopper, Milseain

This is the key stat for me re Tavistock (from arion thanks); 9 boys who are group winners and 0 girls (so far anyway);

Analysis by Sex

Sex Rnrs Wnrs Plcd Wins SW (GW) SWs(GWs) Ave Earnings NZ$
Colts 111 79 7 263 13 (9) 34 (23) 223,806
Fillies 89 49 18 113 2 4 30,467

14 minutes ago, Mattski said:

This is the key stat for me re Tavistock (from arion thanks); 9 boys who are group winners and 0 girls (so far anyway);

Analysis by Sex

Sex Rnrs Wnrs Plcd Wins SW (GW) SWs(GWs) Ave Earnings NZ$
Colts 111 79 7 263 13 (9) 34 (23) 223,806
Fillies 89 49 18 113 2 4 30,467

Yes and up until the sales this year that appeared to be a prevailing attitude of buyers at the sales as well.

On 3/7/2018 at 11:14 AM, jeepers said:

Nope,----- especially if one gets a filly.There are better value stallions available.

Depends on what you judge a service fee on. If you have a genuine K1 mare that leaves a type you make your return easily. Do remember he started at a fee of around 7,000. Will he improve as the books have got better? 

I do agree with the above statement tho. 

10 hours ago, optical said:

Depends on what you judge a service fee on. If you have a genuine K1 mare that leaves a type you make your return easily. Do remember he started at a fee of around 7,000. Will he improve as the books have got better? 

I do agree with the above statement tho. 

Absolutely, His progeny that are 2 now are the first of his progeny from bigger number of mares and the quality of mares improves considerably from his progeny that are currently yearlings . 

He has done it the harder way from where he started and his books now are great size/quality. A lot of his current 3yos were produced from free slots to all shareholders as he was battling number wise.

He has the proven ability to leave proper G1 horses that can win major races on both sides of the Tasman and Asia. 

Overall stats are very good with the one weakeness being his best 2 female stakeswinners are listed winners (although he has had 2 G1 oaks placegetters and roughly another 5 or so stakes placed daughters.

He has the ability to produce a very good horse, the aussies want them (a big guide) and im sure his stats will improve more as time goes on.

25 minutes ago, La Zip said:

I do hope you are right Bruce because he is a major drawcard for NZ breeding industry....

Massively, whether people think the service fee is to much is irrelevant in some ways, thats a call breeders make.

To breeders with Top K1 mares he is very attractive, can leave a proper good horse and the aussies like/respect them.

Whether he kicks on or not who knows, but he has done a phenomenol job so far off a service fee around the 5-12k mark.

On 3/7/2018 at 4:14 PM, jeepers said:

Nope,----- especially if one gets a filly.There are better value stallions available.

You don't know what you're talking about. Not many stallions have got his sort of stats. Best crops yet to come. Fillies nearly as good as colts but weirdly they take more time than the colts.  Normally the other way around 

Yes it seems his fillies may need a bit of time...but the only ones I’ve been around have not very nice temperaments and have had to be paddocked trained. This means they are not really suited to Aussie trainers, unless you have a set up like Lindsay Park or Anthony Freedman at Pinecliff....