RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Sighted

Auckland Cup

4 hours ago, Sighted said:

I've just looked at the nominations - Group 1 $500k. Is this a joke field?

agree, ordinary lot. Hoping it rains and Wildflower will get a slice of the action and bring home my Futures bet from months ago at $60-1

you have to admit, looks very very average, and if we keep getting fields like this will no doubt at some point loose its group 1 status?

personally, araldo looks the goods for mine.

what strikes me as particularly odd, is that we are reknown for breeding stayers, good stayers, but have bugger all proper staying races.  By this i mean races across most rating bands that are 2400, plus

1 hour ago, Varro said:

what strikes me as particularly odd, is that we are reknown for breeding stayers, good stayers, but have bugger all proper staying races.  By this i mean races across most rating bands that are 2400, plus

good point - I own a whisker on the nose of a R65 horse which gets a chance at 2400m this Saturday at Trentham.

Good stake of $22k and they get 7 noms....

It is really simple, we still breed good stayers, its just the world values them more than we do.  If you have a promising horse going through the grades and an offer comes from offshore, you would be a mug not to sell.  Why stay here and race for chump change? The costs of racing a horse in Australia are not too different to here, the stakes are far better.  Our handicapping and race classification penalised you if you have an Ohcp horse that isn't quite up to WFA.

The programming folks pulled our R65 2100m we have in July and replaced it with an Open 1400m (a race we discarded because of a lack of noms).  We have just had a battle with them and by the sounds of it have the former race back.  This industry is full of passionate capable people that do great anywhere in the world, its just a shame we make it so hard for them to make it here.

59 minutes ago, chelseacol said:

good point - I own a whisker on the nose of a R65 horse which gets a chance at 2400m this Saturday at Trentham.

yea see i just dont understand that.  Atleast you only need to beat 1 or two home to get a cheque, i hope you get the large end of the prize mate good luck!

1 hour ago, chelseacol said:

Hope its Secret Embrace for your sake Col.....;)

Just now, Varro said:

yea see i just dont understand that.  Atleast you only need to beat 1 or two home to get a cheque, i hope you get the large end of the prize mate good luck!

Cheers Varro.

As luck would have it I am travelling up to Auckland for the trots and Cup Day  this weekend, so I wont be able to get to Trentham. Might make a bit of noise in Ascot stand though:ph34r:

1 minute ago, Ohokaman said:

Hope its Secret Embrace for your sake Col.....;)

Haha no its not mate.

I'm in the one named after the rugby player - not quite as good as the namesake tbf.  But hes tough and I think 2400 may suit. Hopefully the track holds up ok

I have had a go at handicapping and below is my field for the Auckland Cup;

Five To Midnight     60

Kaharau       60

Von Tunzelman    58.5

Zacada     57

Charles Road   57

Magic Chai   57

Araldo Junior   57

Sampson   56.5

Ladies First   56.5

Show The World   56

Alinko Prince     55.5

Wildflower       55

Gentil Tonton     53.5

Excalibur     53.5

Diesel         53

Smedley      52

Coming Through   52

Tony May       52

Five To Midnight, Kaharau and Von Tunzelman look good.  Smedley, Coming Through and Gentil Tonton look not so good.  There is something about Kaharau that reminds me of Chenille, even though Chenille did not get placed in the Reefton Cup.

37 minutes ago, chelseacol said:

Haha no its not mate.

I'm in the one named after the rugby player - not quite as good as the namesake tbf.  But hes tough and I think 2400 may suit. Hopefully the track holds up ok

Best of luck mate....;)

33 minutes ago, Tauhei Notts said:

I have had a go at handicapping and below is my field for the Auckland Cup;

Five To Midnight     60

Kaharau       60

Von Tunzelman    58.5

Zacada     57

Charles Road   57

Magic Chai   57

Araldo Junior   57

Sampson   56.5

Ladies First   56.5

Show The World   56

Alinko Prince     55.5

Wildflower       55

Gentil Tonton     53.5

Excalibur     53.5

Diesel         53

Smedley      52

Coming Through   52

Tony May       52

Five To Midnight, Kaharau and Von Tunzelman look good.  Smedley, Coming Through and Gentil Tonton look not so good.  There is something about Kaharau that reminds me of Chenille, even though Chenille did not get placed in the Reefton Cup.

Don't see a lot of these running 3200. Alinko at 28/7 is ridiculous odds. Magic Chai looks tough though would prefer Leith riding.

17 minutes ago, Ohokaman said:

Don't see a lot of these running 3200. Alinko at 28/7 is ridiculous odds. Magic Chai looks tough though would prefer Leith riding.

I always start with distance criteria when looking at a 2 mile race. 

The ex German horse Araldo Junior appeals to me with this in mind. Won over 2 miles in Aussie and at 2800m in Germany.

Ordinarily you would be trying to line up the class of those races .... but in this field I don't think this is a major concern, and the one NZ start in the Nathans was good. Weight looks ok in comparison to that race (with the exception of Kaharau weirdly). Only knock is the barrier draw, but at $13/4 over a long trip that isn't enough to stop a punt

As an aside I would have thought Ellerslie may have updated us on the track watering forecast (natural and human), might have to go for a walk over it in the next few days and see for myself.

2 hours ago, Yir Tiz said:

As an aside I would have thought Ellerslie may have updated us on the track watering forecast (natural and human), might have to go for a walk over it in the next few days and see for myself.

What day and time are you doing it?  I'll join you in the walk.

17 minutes ago, Idolmite said:

Not a lot of Blue Denim's or Drum's there are there....

Or these below either!!,

of all of these  I have been on course for.

the best one for a spectacle was 74 Rose Mellay who won after Jans Beau took off and was leading by 10-15 lengths the field collared him in the straight ....Rose mellay won and battle Heights and Fort Hagen filled the minors. Furys Order should have run in that one but was scratched on the morning due to chipping a hoof.  he would have made it very interesting.

• 1996 - Senator
  • 1995 - Royal Tiara
  • 1994 - Miltak
  • 1993 - Ligeiro
  • 1992 - Castletown
  • 1991 - Star Harvest
  • 1990 - Miss Stanima
  • 1989 - Spyglass
  • 1988 - Sea Swift
  • 1987 - Kotare Chief
  • 1986 - Kerry Lane
  • 1985 - Secured Deoposit
  • 1984 - Stylish Dude
  • 1983 - Fountaincourt
  • 1982 - Chimbu
  • 1981 - Drum
  • 1980 - Blue Denim
  • 1979 - Tamboura
  • 1978 - Stylemaster
  • 1977 - Royal Cadenza
  • 1976 - Perhaps
  • 1975 - Kia Maia
  • 1974 - Rose Mellay
  • 1973 - Apollo Eleven

4 minutes ago, Yir Tiz said:

Or these below either!!,

the best one for a spectacle was 74 Rose Mellay who won after Jans Beau took off and was leading by 10-15 lengths the field collared him in the straight ....Rose mellay won and battle Heights and Fort Hagen filled the minors. Furys Order should have run in that one but was scratched on the morning due to chipping a hoof.  he would have made it very interesting.

• 1996 - Senator
  • 1995 - Royal Tiara
  • 1994 - Miltak
  • 1993 - Ligeiro
  • 1992 - Castletown
  • 1991 - Star Harvest
  • 1990 - Miss Stanima
  • 1989 - Spyglass
  • 1988 - Sea Swift
  • 1987 - Kotare Chief
  • 1986 - Kerry Lane
  • 1985 - Secured Deoposit
  • 1984 - Stylish Dude
  • 1983 - Fountaincourt
  • 1982 - Chimbu
  • 1981 - Drum
  • 1980 - Blue Denim
  • 1979 - Tamboura
  • 1978 - Stylemaster
  • 1977 - Royal Cadenza
  • 1976 - Perhaps
  • 1975 - Kia Maia
  • 1974 - Rose Mellay
  • 1973 - Apollo Eleven

Who can name the jockey on each of the winners from memory? (i.e., without looking back on the records!!)

44 minutes ago, Ponderosa8 said:

Who can name the jockey on each of the winners from memory? (i.e., without looking back on the records!!)

53 minutes ago, Yir Tiz said:

Or these below either!!,

• 1996 - Senator - Boots Sweeney
  • 1995 - Royal Tiara -Sarah??
  • 1994 - Miltak _ Lance O
  • 1993 - Ligeiro - Lance O
  • 1992 - Castletown - Harry
  • 1991 - Star Harvest - Jimmy Wallet (Collett)
  • 1990 - Miss Stanima - Kim Clapperton
  • 1989 - Spyglass - G Cooksley
  • 1988 - Sea Swift - The Magic Man CJ
  • 1987 - Kotare Chief - Jock Caddigan
  • 1986 - Kerry Lane
  • 1985 - Secured Deposit - Neil Hain
  • 1984 - Stylish Dude
  • 1983 - Fountaincourt
  • 1982 - Chimbu -
  • 1981 - Drum
  • 1980 - Blue Denim - RJ Vance
  • 1979 - Tamboura
  • 1978 - Stylemaster
  • 1977 - Royal Cadenza - RJ Skelton?
  • 1976 - Perhaps - DA Peake?
  • 1975 - Kia Maia
  • 1974 - Rose Mellay
  • 1973 - Apollo Eleven

I'll try and get the ball rolling with no reference books or google!