RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
gubellini

Stratford TC

Today marks the 60th year of racing at Stratford. The Inaugural Meeting was held on 7/2/59. Winners were Susan Earl, Betty Brooklyn, Impala, Andy’s Gift, Teamster the Stratford Cup owned trained and driven by Roy Griffin of Matamata, Noble Bob, Johnnie Earl and Susan Blue. Doug Grantham drove three winners and Peter Wolfenden two.

Good memories Gubes watching the Cup. We won it in 2010 with Family Spirit, or rather Todd and Phil Butcher won it for us. We then went on to win the Palmerstonian Prelude and the Palmerstonian all within eleven days. Not many horse do that these days. We won a very nice decanter and Russian crystal glasses and I can tell you truthfully, there wouldn't be ten days in the last eight years that those glasses haven't been used. In fact it's almost wine o'clock right now.

As a youngster, Scotleigh was one of my favourites.     I see in Infohorse he won 19 races - and I probably backed him most of these.   

Don't know if Roy drove the horse or the horse drove Roy - they were a great combination and always thereabouts when the whips were cracking.     Yes, whips were allowed in those days!!

No doubt you matched sulkies with him back then Belinda - there were certainly some very exciting races with the square gaiters 

13 hours ago, Belinda said:

Roy Griffin of Scotleigh fame. Scotleigh was a tough old warrior, had 242 starts, raced from a 4yo til he was 14. A great old horse by U Scott.

In the early 70's he had the horse stabled at his house near Waikato University , I used to get a lift to Alex Park when at Uni, I don't recall any wins but a few placings. I think it was more of a hobby after retirement at that stage.