RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.

I remember Hunza racing when I was a young person going to the races with my Dad (he was a bookmaker) and then had a little bit to do with Courtza as a young horse and then racehorse, I've always followed this family...and couldn't believe Mick Price picked Grunt up for $220K...when you think of the ridiculous money people pay for Fastnet Rock colts, this fellow was a steal...and he has delivered the goods.  He's a great type....so I have a feeling there is a stud in Cambridge that is probably crying in their beer today....they let go a bit too early....because Grunt is a horse who should stand here in NZ....

Great female family line that the Smith family of Aramoho,Wanganui has bred from for many years.I think it goes back to the Melbourne cup winner Wotan. This female line is one that budding breeders should take notice of.

Going back to Sayyida...she has been very unlucky as a Broodmare, slipping half a dozen times.

What she has left...Ocean Park, Ruqqaya ( Grunts dam) and Lady Sayyida show how much more valuable she could have been.

That Zabeel-Sir Tristram line should enable Grunt to go 2000m and further you would think.

Definitely has a stallions pedigree being by O'Reilly and out of a half sister to Ocean Park (who himself has started a bit slow but gaining a little momentum now, came within a whisker of being the sire of a derby winner)

The cross of the O'Reilly line over Storm Cat line mares is becoming quite successful.

Have got a feeling the Lindsays jumped the gun with Embellish & Age of Fire....Grunt is so much more appealing...so I’m guessing he will probably stand at an Australian Stud...even though he would be well suited here....

4 hours ago, La Zip said:

Have got a feeling the Lindsays jumped the gun with Embellish & Age of Fire....Grunt is so much more appealing...so I’m guessing he will probably stand at an Australian Stud...even though he would be well suited here....

First of all I agree Grunt is a very  attractive stallion proposition.

To be fair though buying colts from Australia that are G1 winners of features are nearly out of the majority of NZ stud’s ball park.

Embellish and Age Of Fire both have very good pedigree’s and domestic G1’s the difference is getting that G1/Group form in AUS.

On the other hand you could take a punt and buy into these Australian colts early while racing to try and win a G1.

It could work like it did for Waikato Stud (Tivaci), or backfire slightly like it has for Windsor (Rageese and Vanbrugh who’s form went backwards after purchase))

All a big gamble, but Embellish and Age Of Fire both have sound credentials but may lack commercial appeal if they dont get that crucial Aus Group form.

2 hours ago, BruceL said:

First of all I agree Grunt is a very  attractive stallion proposition.

To be fair though buying colts from Australia that are G1 winners of features are nearly out of the majority of NZ stud’s ball park.

Embellish and Age Of Fire both have very good pedigree’s and domestic G1’s the difference is getting that G1/Group form in AUS.

On the other hand you could take a punt and buy into these Australian colts early while racing to try and win a G1.

It could work like it did for Waikato Stud (Tivaci), or backfire slightly like it has for Windsor (Rageese and Vanbrugh who’s form went backwards after purchase))

All a big gamble, but Embellish and Age Of Fire both have sound credentials but may lack commercial appeal if they dont get that crucial Aus Group form.

Right on 

Agree BruceL. It is quite possible one or the other or even both do not end up standing at Cambridge. They maybe taking the gamble, as you say, and buy into several early on and hope one performs well enough to make it commercial and that the total investment is less than waiting until a horse has a couple of Grp 1 s under the belt.

On 3/4/2018 at 9:50 AM, jeepers said:

Great female family line that the Smith family of Aramoho,Wanganui has bred from for many years.I think it goes back to the Melbourne cup winner Wotan. This female line is one that budding breeders should take notice of.

I recall having a chat with Peter Smith about this family at the sales about 7 or 8 years ago (we raced one from this line). The mare Kriemhild (Wotans sister) was the sole female left by Left their dam (if that makes sense) The whole line came from Kriemhild and I believe in the Smith family since then - 1936. Amazing this breeding caper. Different circumstances and the line could have disappeared.