RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Pillow talker

Punching above there wait

Hi all..been watching most races this season,And one thing that I’ve really taken notice of is Smaller trainers trainers going so well.when a huge part of the races meetings are made up of baker\forsman   Te akau , team rogerson , pike..nothing against there’s trainers but just thoses numbers alone would be 4 to five hundred horses..having pleanty of horses in work isn’t a bad thing , apart from the staff witch we won’t go there !!!! but means your doing something right.. and need them in the game..but I’ve noticed a few trainers really punching above there weight,and from a punting point been making a nice little nest egg..here are my 3 trainers I think are going super

shawn and Emma clotworty

peter lock

Fraser auret

I’m not sure Of there numbers but I’m guessing there a lot smaller then most in the top 20 trainers. And have been quietly ticking the winners over.well done to you guys..would love to get your guys feed back.cheers

I guess it depends on the quality of horse the trainers get. Big trainers attract big owners, overseas owners & studs who want to have their stock purchased by the bigger trainers. Smaller trainers are often more reliant on breeders wanting to race their progeny and horses that they have purchased, normally on a small budget. Hats off for the small trainers that stick with the game waiting for that good horse to show up.

1 hour ago, Ohokaman said:

Jesus that post above was hard work.....Fraser Auret would have one of the best strike rates in the Country.

Auret 3.82  Lock 4.52  Te Akau and Baker both in 6 Rogerson 13

Fraser would be one of the most articulate, well presented and talented trainers in the country, strike rate very impressive......would be a great success across the ditch....and doesn't cry at the drop of a hat.....so Aussies would welcome him, no worries mate!

13 hours ago, Pillow talker said:

Hi all..been watching most races this season,And one thing that I’ve really taken notice of is Smaller trainers trainers going so well.when a huge part of the races meetings are made up of baker\forsman   Te akau , team rogerson , pike..nothing against there’s trainers but just thoses numbers alone would be 4 to five hundred horses..having pleanty of horses in work isn’t a bad thing , apart from the staff witch we won’t go there !!!! but means your doing something right.. and need them in the game..but I’ve noticed a few trainers really punching above there weight,and from a punting point been making a nice little nest egg..here are my 3 trainers I think are going super

shawn and Emma clotworty

peter lock

Fraser auret

I’m not sure Of there numbers but I’m guessing there a lot smaller then most in the top 20 trainers. And have been quietly ticking the winners over.well done to you guys..would love to get your guys feed back.cheers

According to N.Z.Racing Trainers information,  Auret has 46 horses in work, Clotworthy and Lock 25 each.

Cheers.

Robert.

Fraser had a very good teacher and I presume now, mentor ---his father Nigel. 

Nigel was basically an owner trainer for the horses he raced but mainly prepared horses for sale as a business, especially in the early years. If he had a horse in the trials it usually won ---his strike rate would have been off the charts for them. So he obviously knows how to condition horses.

8 hours ago, Double R said:

According to N.Z.Racing Trainers information,  Auret has 46 horses in work, Clotworthy and Lock 25 each.

Cheers.

Robert.

As a comparison, how many do S March, Baker/Forsman and T Pike have?

13 minutes ago, Insider said:

As a comparison, how many do S March, Baker/Forsman and T Pike have?

According to NZR Website, Baker/Forsman have 291, Pike has 156 and Marsh has 143.

Cheers.

Robert.

54 minutes ago, Double R said:

According to NZR Website, Baker/Forsman have 291, Pike has 156 and Marsh has 143.

Very large numbers so you would expect results.

I heard reliable figures for Oz about a year ago--Waterhouse had 650 on the books either spelling, pre-training or racing, Godolphin "try" 160-180  2 yr- olds each year and no doubt Waller has a huge pool of horses. Interesting that Neil Pilcher said the other day that M. Purdon normally recruits 50 young ones a year!

All get results relative to their huge numbers I believe, but what about the wastage! ( I know about the "rescue" farm in NSW thanks)

Wayne Hillis (5.27 Strike Rate) is another small trainer having a good season with only 8 racehorses in work that raced. 58 Starts 11 wins 8 seconds & 5 thirds.

Steven Ramsay & Julia Ritchie also...but not sure how big there team is...but they seem to have well bred stock and support from Mr Vela.

I'm a fan of Andrew Campbell, Ross McCarroll & Kylie Fawcett's strike rates.

A lot of smaller trainers end up selling there good stock to survive as they don't have the big owners to support them. So these results have even more merit.

Some smaller trainers do indeed need to sell but someone like Wayne Hillis has a couple of owners (Mrs Evans and Jim Marks) who regularly supply good stock from their breeds so that would be a major stabilising factor for the trainer.

Similarly Andrew Campbell has huge support from Tommy Hepinstall and friends.

As we know many factors at play.

There have always been the small guys with a knack for having a handy horse or two:

Sylvia Kay

Warren Dymond

Brian Deacon

Etc and its good to see.  I used to get a kick out of seeing Wally Gullivers Pakaraka Star beat the big boys (and he was the toughest bravest little pony ever!).

Edited by Tomjr
Typo