RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Ohokaman

Scott Base at $4.....???

Personally I wouldn't mortgage the farm to back him compared to Mission Hill at 5's and he's way too short in the Derby market too imho. If the weather is anything like Whangarei at present it will be drying by the hour.

2 hours ago, Ohokaman said:

Showing a Heavy 10 at the moment Blue, will take a hell of a lot of drying....!!

Bloody hot and sticky up here at Coopers too.....just depends when that Cyclone arrives.....:rolleyes:

Heading up to Auckland in a couple of hours for the weekend - hope the beer is cold if reports of humidity etc are correct. Might even try HQ and see if P4P is doing a good job ;)

I'm with Blue - quite keen on Mission Hill as a horse (and I've backed Scott Base last two wins !) Couple of others I have Derby bets on as well running tomorrow - very interesting. Track just makes it harder 

27 minutes ago, chelseacol said:

Heading up to Auckland in a couple of hours for the weekend - hope the beer is cold if reports of humidity etc are correct. Might even try HQ and see if P4P is doing a good job ;)

Most in here seem to think he is and the food is rated highly too......:D

44 minutes ago, hesi said:

Looks pretty good Col

Restaurant review: Headquarters, Auckland CBD 

25 Sep, 2017 11:21am
 4 minutes to read
The BBQ lamb rump at Headquarters. Photo / Getty Images
The BBQ lamb rump at Headquarters. Photo / Getty Images
By: Kim Knight
Feature writer, NZ Herald

kim.knight@nzherald.co.nz @kimknightnz

"Don't drink and drive," says the note on the menu. "Be nice to your mother. Always support the IHC, Salvation Army, City Mission, and the battlers in life because that's what we do."

At Headquarters, the savannah scotch fillet with chimichurri and parsnip costs $40. The instructions for adulting are free.

At times the messaging is cheesier than a faux craft beer label (the men's bathroom is on the left because women are always right, etc) but the restaurateur is Leo Molloy. Monsieur Molloy is a man with an opinion and he is routinely unafraid to share it.

Very recently, Molloy made headlines via an "epic" online stoush with a former MasterChef contestant who posted a scathing review of this new Viaduct eatery. I don't know what the complainant ordered, but you should look no further than the spice-rubbed chook ($38).

Winner, winner, chicken dinner. When I say the flesh was waxen, I mean that in the plumpest, most toothsome manner possible. Our waitperson confirmed the bird had been brined for a day, before taking a slow turn on the rotisserie.

It came with one of my all-time-favourite food combos: crispy slaw and mushy mash. We'd started with sardines on toast ($18), a brilliant little entree that included grilled grapes and ran the full flavour gamut - smoky, sweet, creamy, sour and salty. We split the single toast three ways (tricky, but not impossible) and I can't remember the last time three square centimetres of food walloped that many taste buds.

Tuna tartare ($20) was less of a revelation. Lovely spikes of kaffir lime, but the pickled watermelon rind added nothing beyond weird texture and the addition of fish sauce at some point (I hope it was fish sauce) gave what should have been a clean, fresh dish more pungency than was decent.

Headquarters is billed as a pop-up. This is a bit like calling the Sphinx a statue of a cat. The restaurant is monumental in size and scope. The bar boasts a 5m by 2.8m screen, the venue hosts up to 300 for functions and the tenancy will extend through to New Zealand's defence of the America's Cup. The furniture is stub-your-toe solid.

On a midweek lunchtime, we took a veranda seat and donned sunglasses against the glare bouncing off the keel estate. The service was friendly and fast, possibly because the menu spares the waitperson a long spiel about shared dishes. At Headquarters, you get your own plate.

Headquarters on Customs Street West in Auckland CBD. Photo / Getty ImagesHeadquarters on Customs Street West in Auckland CBD. Photo / Getty Images

Mine came with pork belly ($38) and a rich, sweet date puree. The meat was crispy and soft in all the right places, but pops of puffed buckwheat were distracting. I had regrets. Okay, to be totally honest, it was that chicken was distracting. I had food envy.

Michelle's lamb rump ($38) was garden-pretty and barbecue-tasty, as befitting a kitchen that goes big on burning. The halloumi is wood-roasted, the yams are charcoal-roasted, and even the caviar on the tuna tartare is smoked (in my opinion, it lacked pop).

The serves are big. Too big, really, to justify three courses at lunchtime. Enter the pavlova, that dessert famously named for a ballerina who was lighter than air. How did that air ($15) taste? Pretty amazing with a tonne of whipped cream, two types of kiwifruit and a splodge of lemon curd.

We were three ladies who had very deliciously lunched. But if you have lunch at the Viaduct and don't spot a minor celeb did you really have lunch at the Viaduct? I turned to pay the bill and there she was. Teeny-tiny Anne Batley-Barton, the champagne-guzzling star of Real Housewives of Auckland.

Tick.

Address: 115 Customs St West, Viaduct.
Ph: (09) 394 7300
Rating out of 10: Food: 8.5 Service: 8.5 Value: 8 Ambience: 8.5
We spent: $239 for three

Is that Leo in the pic...auditing the books...? ;)

4 hours ago, Blue said:

Personally I wouldn't mortgage the farm to back him compared to Mission Hill at 5's and he's way too short in the Derby market too imho. If the weather is anything like Whangarei at present it will be drying by the hour.

You might be right Blue. Gone from Heavy 10 to Slow 9 today. Plenty of scratchings already but...

The worry with SB is Dalghar was a sprinter, the fastest to ever stand here, his stock struggle with rain effected ground, and very few, very few get further than 2000m.......although I'm biased and love Dalghar, I think SB will struggle today. If I'm wrong, It will be a pleasant surprise indeed, and good luck to Johno and Holly.

further to the above, I would have enjoyed seeing SB targeted toward to the Randwick Guineas with a view to the Rosehill Guineas, he's good enough in my mind......to muck around here with inferior tracks and prizemoney, the last thing Johno needs is another Humidor scenario.......

1 hour ago, La Zip said:

The worry with SB is Dalghar was a sprinter, the fastest to ever stand here, his stock struggle with rain effected ground, and very few, very few get further than 2000m.......although I'm biased and love Dalghar, I think SB will struggle today. If I'm wrong, It will be a pleasant surprise indeed, and good luck to Johno and Holly.

Benner said yesterday there was no issue with the ground. It is his first time over the distance however and his only concern was just how bad the track was..it might feel like 2400 if really testing. Will be a fascinating race....

1 hour ago, Portfolio said:

Looking at these comments, a few of you got fleeced on the punt yesterday. 

Dodgy nz tracks, really have no show

I think there were some good runs by horses on the way up....and with assignments further afield in mind.  Would love to see Scott Base tackle the Randwick mile followed by the Rosehill Guineas. But obviously connections have other ideas.......

21 hours ago, poundforpound said:

Ask the staff to call me, I only live 200m away, I’ll come by and say hello 

Cheers P4P. I only saw your kind offer this morning. 

Heck of a place you have there. Was heaving at lunchtime. 

Hopefully I’ll get back up derby week and get a chance to say hi. 

Re the Derby. More questions than answers from yesterday methinks. Up in distance, different track conditions and I can see possibility of the favourite paying close to 4s. SB came to the end of it 100 metres out when he looked likely to run on by but the track could really only have been tacky at best. Wide open market now for that and the Oaks with the defection of Dijon Bleu.

12 minutes ago, N1MUE said:

TAB Futures Win market is a joke.

Scott Base and Danzdanzdance both at $4.50; On The Rocks and Vin De Dance at $6.50.

You'll get very close to, or better than, those prices on the day of the race and you're not taking the risk that something goes wrong beforehand.

True. And there will be some from yesterday who did not handle that track so no real guide. Pike might have a late one yet.