RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Ohokaman

Scott Base at $4.....???

1 hour ago, gubellini said:

Nothing wrong with Rosie’s ride in my opinion. My take is that Scott Base couldn’t make the transition from 1600m to 2100m and that his chances of getting 2400m are minimal. His sire Dalghar won four between 1400 and 1600m and only up to Group Three level. Scott Base’s dam was placed at two only. Second dam won twice from 1200 to 1550m. Third dam won two at 1200 and 1600m. Fourth dam won three at 1600 and 1800m. Hard to see that this is the pedigree of a 2400m Derby winner but I could be wrong!

Really? Dalghars Dam has left two of the better middle distance horses in Europe of their generation I'd have thought in Dalakhani and the brilliant Daylami, SB dam is from the family of Hotel Grand and Outback Prince both decent middle distance horses, although he isn't my pick for the race there is no reason on pedigree why he won't see out  the trip. 

1 hour ago, gubellini said:

Nothing wrong with Rosie’s ride in my opinion. My take is that Scott Base couldn’t make the transition from 1600m to 2100m and that his chances of getting 2400m are minimal. His sire Dalghar won four between 1400 and 1600m and only up to Group Three level. Scott Base’s dam was placed at two only. Second dam won twice from 1200 to 1550m. Third dam won two at 1200 and 1600m. Fourth dam won three at 1600 and 1800m. Hard to see that this is the pedigree of a 2400m Derby winner but I could be wrong!

Bit tough Gub....Dalghar has left some good stayers in Europe, and he was hardly beaten far was he ? Vin de Dance looks like the one that is having a preparation aimed solely at the Derby.

IMG_2875.JPG

18 minutes ago, Huey said:

Really? Dalghars Dam has left two of the better middle distance horses in Europe of their generation I'd have thought in Dalakhani and the brilliant Daylami, SB dam is from the family of Hotel Grand and Outback Prince both decent middle distance horses, although he isn't my pick for the race there is no reason on pedigree why he won't see out  the trip. 

Sure there are stayers back in Scott Bases pedigree but take a look at Dalghars sire Anabaa. 8 wins up to 1 Mile. Mmm!

2 hours ago, Richard Cave said:

Mate - the Thoroughbred Industry is about people as much as it is horses.

He tangata x 3...you heard?

Its a symbiotic relationship 

Let's say you were the Shark or owner...and the Remora or punter gets to scrape the small pieces of crusty stuff off your thick hide, as we swim along together.

You can't survive without us, but if you become extinct, as is highly likely here, we'll just find some other symbiotic relationship like a resurrected Hairy Mammouth or similar.  How good would Hairy Mammouth Racing be?  

And then there's the bottom feeders, like pounded, who get the other scraps we leave over as we deficate on his head.  

A bit like a bottom feeding Groper...big mouth, wide open, ready for us to poo in his Mammouth gob, god bless him and his following bottom lickers.

Hope that helps.

Keep going Richard, P4P loves the banter, just be prepared to get banned thou, like many others that have clashed with him.

47 minutes ago, gubellini said:

Sure there are stayers back in Scott Bases pedigree but take a look at Dalghars sire Anabaa. 8 wins up to 1 Mile. Mmm!

True Gub, if there is a query it is there. Though that may be giving him that electric turn of foot too....!

Daltawa has left Daylami and Dalakhani both winners up to 2400m, as Huey mentioned, and going back to Miswaki, a reasonable sort named Sea the Stars ( Epsom Derby, Prix de L'Arc ) came through that bloodline, so all not lost perhaps....;)

5 hours ago, rdytdy said:

Richard, you state that the person/s for taking her off deserve all the karma they get and by your own admission you hope that Scott Base gets beaten in the Derby.

Now, as P4P states if there is no contract then the connections are entitled to do as they wish and engage another jockey. The same principle applies for a jockey to get off one horse and ride another which is a far more common occurrence. Loyalty is a two way street. 

Therefore if Rosie had said to the connections at the weekend look I've decided to not ride SB in the Derby and I am taking the ride on *****  leaving connections to find a new rider would you have felt the same outrage as you do and want the same karma to apply ie hope that Rosie's new mount ***** finishes down the track? 

Of course I meant the luck of SC in this race...but you knew that

Will Col carry out the same instructions if he draws the same marble, or lets hope worse, as Myers again?

Myers was never going to get off this co Fav either of course...no jockey would have

The question still remains.

Did Rosie get the drag due to a bad ride while carrying out Benner's instructions and was the Owner oblivious to those?

And was Rosie due Loyality after delivering a Million Dollar race to them...

...or is Loyality a dirty word these days?

4 hours ago, Portfolio said:

Keep going Richard, P4P loves the banter, just be prepared to get banned thou, like many others that have clashed with him.

Really, so he's the King Dick around here and not me?

So does he in effect own the site or has psychological power over the owner?

1 hour ago, Richard Cave said:

Really, so he's the King Dick around here and not me?

So does he in effect own the site or has psychological power over the owner?

Dick Wit you are on very thin ice...just be careful what you say next I am the owner and have nearly had enough of you...cheers.

One thing I will add is P4P does add something to the site with his informed comments at times, unlike you have shown to date.

Feel your pain Richard Cave , always leaves a sour taste in ones  mouth , only 2 starts ago winning a $1,000,000 race , then dragged , thought Rosie did a good enough job , horse seemed really settled in running which augers well for the Derby. Vinnie no doubt a Derby genius but he has been missing in action the last few months, just my opinion. Definitely first 6 home in the Derby did it for me , just need to narrow it down to 2/3 ...if SB is one of those then sobeit, I'm in it to make money, be gutted for Rosie but I need the money more.

25 minutes ago, Charlie Bukowski said:

Feel your pain Richard Cave , always leaves a sour taste in ones  mouth , only 2 starts ago winning a $1,000,000 race , then dragged , thought Rosie did a good enough job , horse seemed really settled in running which augers well for the Derby. Vinnie no doubt a Derby genius but he has been missing in action the last few months, just my opinion. Definitely first 6 home in the Derby did it for me , just need to narrow it down to 2/3 ...if SB is one of those then sobeit, I'm in it to make money, be gutted for Rosie but I need the money more.

I think you and Dick maybe closer than you are admitting...JMO

Thank you for your welcome Mr Much. 

Please give my regards to your cousin, Eaten Too, who I dated in High School. I hope her recent stomach staple operation has been a success.

Mr Cave, would I be correct in assuming your recent arrival from Melbourne has coincided with the Australian Goverment's policy of returning all penal discards to their place of birth. You need a slap for being caught in the first place, but that aside, it is glaringly obvious that you are enjoying the freedom of access to a computer. One could also assume it is most likely at your local library.

You need to learn a thing or two about Karma. It is very closely related to Karma Sutra, and as sure as God created beaten odds on favourites, the fickle figure of fate will fxxx, come up behind you and teach you a lesson of a very painfull nature. You of course, know this already after your weekend in Auckland at the Pride Festival. Make sure you continue to apply the ointment.

In this instance, I agree whole heartedly with Ounceforounce.

C Rutten, as owner, can do what he pleases with each and every one of his horses. In this case he is yet to be proved wrong in his decision, but I have a gut feel that if the horse wins the Derby, Rosie may well be remunerated for her efforts to date, which would make your Karma wish very misguided, and nasty in the extreme.

Have a great day.

Would prefer to see SB settle a lot handier in the Derby rather than being snagged back to last.

The last five Derby winners:

Gingernuts.  7th in the running in the Derby after coming from last to win the Avondale Guineas.

Rangipo.  Settled fourth in the 1 x 1.

Mongolian Khan.  Settled 4th in the 1 x 1. 

Puccini.  Got back before improving four wide from the 1300m and led the last 800m.

Habibi. Slipped at the start and got back but was too strong over the closing stages. 

One slight concern for me is that it will be his third trip in six weeks from Otaki to Ellerslie but I do think he is a very good horse and a major contender.

The Derby does look an open race this year and I think the winner will be coming out of the Avondale Guineas, as has been the case over the past few years. There were a few good runs in that race.   

2 hours ago, poundforpound said:

Now, to get this thread back on track, I went and analysed the Avondale Guineas again just to scrutinize SB.

He was outstanding in every way, had a bit of a tug the first furlong but came off the bridge beautifully soon after, he looked great in the run off a very good tempo, then Rosie set him alight about the 650 mark, a bit sooner than I’d have done, and he covered a lot of ground ( maybe that was the plan to go hunting for some decent ground ) and he was very strong right up until the 50m mark.

His sectionals were excellent off a strong pace and I can’t see any obvious reason why he won’t be a major player in the Derby, particularly if he gets good ground..

And thought it was a great competitive ride from the top of the straight

, didn't give Mission Hill an inch , forced that runner back in behind a floating On The Rocks and more than likely cost MH the win, the first 5 home outstanding runs , Danzdanzdance severely buffeted on the turn , massive effort to just go under , Vin De Dance, first to launch , headed , came back gutsily, hell even The Mayor off a tough trip , lay down a decent challenge and only capitulated late so plenty of food for thought but they look the main Derby contenders, really looking forward to this Derby

Guest 2Admin2
44 minutes ago, rdytdy said:

I have heard they are coming north but Scott Base last Saturday still had the Benner/Wynyard stable as based at Otaki.  

I would have thought they would have left the horse up here in the care of either Benner or Wynyard rather than traipse back and forth.

13 minutes ago, 2Admin2 said:

I would have thought they would have left the horse up here in the care of either Benner or Wynyard rather than traipse back and forth.

This is on the NZTR website so assume he is back at Otaki.

Scott Base has been ridden in recent starts by Rosie Myers, who won the Karaka Million 3YO Classic (1600m) on the gelding and guided him into fourth in Saturday’s Gr.2 Avondale Guineas (2100m).

“The horse went well and obviously he has to get the 2400m, which we think he will,” Benner said.

“Hopefully, he can draw a softer gate in the Derby and can get a bit handier. There’s probably five or six winning chances and it will come down to who gets the right draw and best run.”

Benner said Scott Base has bounced through Saturday’s run and coped well with the travel.

“So far, so good and he’s come home in good order. He’s eating well and was out at the beach this morning, he’s a happy horse.”

On 2/20/2018 at 11:40 PM, Charlie Bukowski said:

Fair enough Charlie and good points too.

DDD is a very impressive individual for mine.  Got caught in the worst ground the other day as well.

Besides, give me a big horse any day in a roughly run Derby,  they can take the jostling that's bound to happen.