RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Ohokaman

Scott Base at $4.....???

2 hours ago, 2Admin2 said:

I think Rosie said post race he missed the kick slightly and settled back further than she wanted.

Not getting at Rosie but I laugh when I see comments like this - and I see them quite often. Surely 'SHE' missed the kick, not the horse. The jockey is the one on top who should be ready for the gates to open.

1 hour ago, Richard Cave said:

The Deputy obviously heard what I heard Benner say.

Perhaps the owners missed it and Benner's turning Myers into a scapegoat?

She rode the horse brilliantly to win and that all goes out the window for one supposedly bad ride, when she rode to instructions.

Lets hope it fails in the Derby after Colgan has trouble getting to know it's foibles on the way to a slow start and blocked run.

When I was living in Melbourne we'd get that change of riding instruction anyway.

What the hell happened to that rule here steady?

Rightly or wrongly that rule was rescinded here Richard. However I would point out, that does not prevent a trainer from approaching the stewards and telling them that their horse will be ridden differently than normal in the upcoming race.

Looking through the window here, as obviously we are not party to the decision by Johno Benner or the owners, when you have a rider that won the a $1 million race two starts ago on the horse and they get the drag for the Derby then instinct tells me someone is not happy somewhere along the line. Of course It does lead to speculation which is normal in a situation like this and that has occurred here whether it is anyone else's business or not. 

As someone else has pointed out rider's get off mounts leaving owner's up in the air and the opposite occurs when connections change riders. It is the nature of the business although loyalty by both parties should be a factor.

Hoping the horse fails in the Derby is surely a churlish reaction and you don't really mean that. May the best horse win. 

2 minutes ago, rdytdy said:

Rightly or wrongly that rule was rescinded here Richard. However I would point out, that does not prevent a trainer from approaching the stewards and telling them that their horse will be ridden differently than normal in the upcoming race.

Looking through the window here, as obviously we are not party to the decision by Johno Benner or the owners, when you have a rider that won the a $1 million race two starts ago on the horse and they get the drag for the Derby then instinct tells me someone is not happy somewhere along the line. Of course It does lead to speculation which is normal in a situation like this and that has occurred here whether it is anyone else's business or not. 

As someone else has pointed out rider's get off mounts leaving owner's up in the air and the opposite occurs when connections change riders. It is the nature of the business although loyalty by both parties should be a factor.

Hoping the horse fails in the Derby is surely a churlish reaction and you don't really mean that. May the best horse win. 

I have just looked at the race again, and yes, it did cover extra ground, but halfway down the straight it did look like it was going to win, but peaked on ts run. It must be disappointing to lose any ride as jockey, but who knows, another ride might become available, and have a good result.

Cheers.

Robert.

There's a rule in Oz that any change in the normal riding practice of a particular horse, it must be reported to Stewards who then inform the betting public. That's how it should be. Protect the species that provide the funds for the progress and health of Racing. It's called "Transparency".

11 hours ago, rdytdy said:

No, I relly relly do hope he draws wide, but begins well, so Col is forced to race 3 and 4 wide in the bewdaful open air throughout and has no chance to hook back.

If he does manage, which I sincerely doubt, that the pace slows to a crawl and he starts reefing for Col's man hands.  For nothing's surer, this horse only operates with a soft woman's touch (went ok for Tinsley but he's got woman's hands) and the gentle reassuring whisper of the same.

Because Holly's made sure of that, he's her baby and babies cry when they're out of their comfort zone, as you and the pounder should well know steady.

As for a horse's normal racing pattern being turned upside down without being required to be notified, as you suggested here, is it any wonder Kiwi punters are a dying breed?

As you'd well know, Rosie was never going to "get off this horse", and whoever decided to drag her off deserves the karma that's about to hit them.

14 hours ago, poundforpound said:

Actually I was at an event with Rosie Saturday night and we discussed this at length, including who might be riding him in The Derby.

Hence my surprise when you stated that she’d been replaced.

Tread carefully when you lock horns with me though Dick, I might just decide to give you a good floging once I ascertain whether you’re worth wasting time on.

Based on your comments to date I’m going to say ( guess ) you’re just another tired old jock who’s done nothing with his life so I won’t be hassling you .... yet ....

image.png

13 hours ago, Blue said:

Not getting at Rosie but I laugh when I see comments like this - and I see them quite often. Surely 'SHE' missed the kick, not the horse. The jockey is the one on top who should be ready for the gates to open.

Clearly you've never ridden a horse.

Any number of things are going on in that confined space from leaning, rearing, head down, charging and/or a standing pirouette, so contrary to popular opinion, they're not machines.

Of course some Jockeys are thinking about that mornings bacon and egg butty or the coming night's action after chatting up the girl in the next stall or in Matty's case the boy, but not many if any.

14 hours ago, poundforpound said:

Actually I was at an event with Rosie Saturday night and we discussed this at length, including who might be riding him in The Derby.

Hence my surprise when you stated that she’d been replaced.

Tread carefully when you lock horns with me though Dick, I might just decide to give you a good floging once I ascertain whether you’re worth wasting time on.

Based on your comments to date I’m going to say ( guess ) you’re just another tired old jock who’s done nothing with his life so I won’t be hassling you .... yet ....

In other words a crusty old man was trying to chat up a hot young woman to relive 50 year old imagined past glories.  

Any sort of "length" would have been in your vivid imagination and I'm taking a wild stab in the dark here, but was Rosie yawning widely at the end making up the excuse she was really tired after a long day?

Obviously she left you with the impression she'd followed instructions to the letter, everything was eh ok, and she was ready for the ride, hence your surprise.

11 hours ago, Trump said:

There's a rule in Oz that any change in the normal riding practice of a particular horse, it must be reported to Stewards who then inform the betting public. That's how it should be. Protect the species that provide the funds for the progress and health of Racing. It's called "Transparency".

This is the best post I've read since I arrived home from Melbourne.

The 'industry' bemoans the lack of punters and then completely ignores how Punters are treated here compared with Australia.

If this was the Stock Market withholding that type of information would be an indictable offence, insider trading.

Chris Waller is supreme with this rule and well knows Racing lives and dies with the punter.  Besides he'd hate to race for ribbons when he can race for Gold Cups.

23 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

Not really, I had a chat to Rosie, Kelly, their Mum......and given that we’ve used Rosie many times on our better horses I’m always interested in what she has to say, just as I’m interested in most of the industries leading professionals.

She didn’t leave me with any impression if that matters ( I wouldn’t divulge the contents of a private conversation anyway ) other than that we concur with regard to SB’s action and how he might perform, ridden quietly, on better ground.

Keep up your smart arse style though, you’re coming across as a gobby jerk, just a loud mouth pub talker, and I’ve downgraded you from ex jock to trackwork rider based on the shite you’re spewing now.

You won’t last much longer here unless your Mummy puts your leash back on loud mouth......or you get off whatever synthetics you’re on......

I’ll close off by saying this. If you don’t think VC has soft kind hands you have no idea, he hasn’t won five or six Derbies with hands like your fucking mouth.

Re Kelly, the last comment I saw was towards the end of September where she was awaiting a collarbone operation.

Did you get any indication from her whether the op went okay and when she might be back.?

18 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

Not really, I had a chat to Rosie, Kelly, their Mum......and given that we’ve used Rosie many times on our better horses I’m always interested in what she has to say, just as I’m interested in most of the industries leading professionals.

She didn’t leave me with any impression if that matters ( I wouldn’t divulge the contents of a private conversation anyway ) other than that we concur with regard to SB’s action and how he might perform, ridden quietly, on better ground.

Keep up your smart arse style though, you’re coming across as a gobby jerk, just a loud mouth pub talker, and I’ve downgraded you from ex jock to trackwork rider based on the shite you’re spewing now.

You won’t last much longer here unless your Mummy puts your leash back on loud mouth......or you get off whatever synthetics you’re on......

I’ll close off by saying this. If you don’t think VC has soft kind hands you have no idea, he hasn’t won five or six Derbies with hands like your fucking mouth.

Obviously she did, she left you with the impression she had the ride and after reading my post you were "surprised".

I'm surprised you even became impressed to be frank pounded, it appears the only thing that impresses you is yourself.

"Actually I was at an event with Rosie Saturday night and we discussed this at length, including who might be riding him in The Derby.

Hence my surprise when you stated that she’d been replaced."

23 minutes ago, Richard Cave said:

Obviously she did, she left you with the impression she had the ride and after reading my post you were "surprised".

I'm surprised you even became impressed to be frank pounded, it appears the only thing that impresses you is yourself.

"Actually I was at an event with Rosie Saturday night and we discussed this at length, including who might be riding him in The Derby.

Hence my surprise when you stated that she’d been replaced."

Mate - stick to talking about horses and races and you will add some value here

Guest 2Admin2

Into Phase 2.  I'd say P4P has crossed the line of decency 6 lengths in front.

Nothing wrong with Rosie’s ride in my opinion. My take is that Scott Base couldn’t make the transition from 1600m to 2100m and that his chances of getting 2400m are minimal. His sire Dalghar won four between 1400 and 1600m and only up to Group Three level. Scott Base’s dam was placed at two only. Second dam won twice from 1200 to 1550m. Third dam won two at 1200 and 1600m. Fourth dam won three at 1600 and 1800m. Hard to see that this is the pedigree of a 2400m Derby winner but I could be wrong!

Guest 2Admin2
16 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

Love that word, Vituperative, it’s Winston personified

Dick Cave help us understand whose back you’re trying to stab here.

I’m a Jono and Holly fan, Chris Rutten is a mate, I really like and respect the Myers girls,  I think VC is a great rider who seldom if ever makes a mistake, and he feels no pressure.

I addition I respect the rights of the connections to engage whomever they wish, as long as they’re not breaching a contract.

On that basis I think there’s no story here, but you’re ranting about karma and come uppance, and SB being hard to ride.......who exactly are you batting for here and who are you trying to backstab ?

Come clean because it’s rather confusing.

P4P Cave's original post simply asked "why was rosie given the drag?"  If anyone has taken the discussion down its current path it is you.  This is a typical scenario.

1 hour ago, chelseacol said:

Mate - stick to talking about horses and races and you will add some value here

Mate - the Thoroughbred Industry is about people as much as it is horses.

He tangata x 3...you heard?

Its a symbiotic relationship 

Let's say you were the Shark or owner...and the Remora or punter gets to scrape the small pieces of crusty stuff off your thick hide, as we swim along together.

You can't survive without us, but if you become extinct, as is highly likely here, we'll just find some other symbiotic relationship like a resurrected Hairy Mammouth or similar.  How good would Hairy Mammouth Racing be?  

And then there's the bottom feeders, like pounded, who get the other scraps we leave over as we deficate on his head.  

A bit like a bottom feeding Groper...big mouth, wide open, ready for us to poo in his Mammouth gob, god bless him and his following bottom lickers.

Hope that helps.

Guest 2Admin2
2 minutes ago, Richard Cave said:

Mate - the Thoroughbred Industry is about people as much as it is horses.

He tangata x 3...you heard?

Its a symbiotic relationship 

Let's say you were the Shark or owner...and the Remora or punter gets to scrape the small pieces of crusty stuff off your thick hide, as we swim along together.

You can't survive without us, but if you become extinct, as is highly likely here, we'll just find some other symbiotic relationship like a resurrected Hairy Mammouth or similar.  How good would Hairy Mammouth Racing be?  

And then there's the bottom feeders, like pounded, who get the other scraps we leave over as we deficate on his head.  

A bit like a bottom feeding Groper...big mouth, wide open, ready for us to poo in his Mammouth gob, god bless him and his following bottom lickers.

Hope that helps.

Now you are stepping over the line.  Starting to head into Phase 3......

12 minutes ago, 2Admin2 said:

Now you are stepping over the line.  Starting to head into Phase 3......

hard to tell if he has crossed a line or not based on the spelling and general weirdness....

Mind you Mammouth racing could be fun . Not exactly sure what that is but I've been to Monmouth race track a few times where the beer is cheap and Pulled pork burgers are great -  must be something related to that he's on about ??:rolleyes:

Guest 2Admin2

Yep definitely Phase 3 where Cafer's are starting to form groups.

49 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

Love that word, Vituperative, it’s Winston personified

Dick Cave help us understand whose back you’re trying to stab here.

I’m a Jono and Holly fan, Chris Rutten is a mate, I really like and respect the Myers girls,  I think VC is a great rider who seldom if ever makes a mistake, and he feels no pressure.

I addition I respect the rights of the connections to engage whomever they wish, as long as they’re not breaching a contract.

On that basis I think there’s no story here, but you’re ranting about karma and come uppance, and SB being hard to ride.......who exactly are you batting for here and who are you trying to backstab ?

Come clean because it’s rather confusing.

I think if you'd bothered to read all of the 5 relevant posts here from myself and the Deputy you'd know we're trying to find the reason Rosie got dragged.

Being a popular boffin you'll know how to find out then.  

Ask Rutten this so we can put you to bed would you?

1). "Did Rosie ride to instruction or did you not listen to the Trainers explanation and believed that Rosie screwed up?"

2)  "Are you prepared for the trade off of unfamiliarity over experience?

3 )  Does loyalty not resonate in your life especially after Rosie delivered many Gold Rolexes to you on a platter?

Richard, you state that the person/s for taking her off deserve all the karma they get and by your own admission you hope that Scott Base gets beaten in the Derby.

Now, as P4P states if there is no contract then the connections are entitled to do as they wish and engage another jockey. The same principle applies for a jockey to get off one horse and ride another which is a far more common occurrence. Loyalty is a two way street. 

Therefore if Rosie had said to the connections at the weekend look I've decided to not ride SB in the Derby and I am taking the ride on *****  leaving connections to find a new rider would you have felt the same outrage as you do and want the same karma to apply ie hope that Rosie's new mount ***** finishes down the track? 

I see Mark Zahra, contracted to ride Sun Stud horses in Melbourne, successfully sought a release from Godolphin's horse, Plague Stone, so he could ride Praire Fire in the Blue Diamond. So it also goes the other way doesn't it? I can't fathom why RC would be so upset with the switch of Jockey for Scott Base - regardless of the circumstances. It clearly happens both ways. No need for all this "Karma" bullshit.