RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Ohokaman

Scott Base at $4.....???

21 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

I can’t see that SB is a wet tracker.

I heard Jono say on Trackside that he worked well in it but that’s when someone had a hold of your head, and is helping your balance.

If you watch the replay from yesterday there’s a good side on shot of him about the 1000m mark, and he looks very much like a top of the ground actioned horse there.

I guess the 2400 is still a question mark for him, but if he gets good ground on Derby day he’s still a huge chance.

Hope you're right re Scott Base as I got him early at 26's. Would love to have got Mission Hills early on for the Derby as I reckon he is the one to beat now. Didnt get much of a run in the straight and finished just in behind them, and he's now drifted to 10's in the Derby which I believe is good money.

1 hour ago, Blue said:

Re the Derby. More questions than answers from yesterday methinks. Up in distance, different track conditions and I can see possibility of the favourite paying close to 4s. SB came to the end of it 100 metres out when he looked likely to run on by but the track could really only have been tacky at best. Wide open market now for that and the Oaks with the defection of Dijon Bleu.

Rondinella for me. Nice run at Te Rapa and hit the line well on a track that I dont think she would have liked.14's in the Oaks.

Might get through a slow, heavier it gets, no way.....a typical Dalghar.......IMO no way the 2400 either, although his sectional was extra good, he came to the end of his run 100 out.....1600 to 2000 yep, Serious Gr1 horse.....good luck to them, a throw at the stumps, no one can blame them for that.

There's the Lowland and Sunline in a fortnight to get the fillies going over ground and, providing the tracks are something like reasonable I think that will sort the 'men from the boys' when they're asked to go 2400.

I'd be waiting to see track conditions on Derby Day. Will play a big part. Any of the first 5 or 6 over the line yesterday are in it and it's all about the track. Scott Base was a huge run! Did he go inside a horse. Last then so wide from the 500m Mark, I reckon he ran an extra 100m on a poor track. The $4 might look juicy on a good/dead track.

3 hours ago, chelseacol said:

Cheers P4P. I only saw your kind offer this morning. 

Heck of a place you have there. Was heaving at lunchtime. 

Hopefully I’ll get back up derby week and get a chance to say hi. 

Heaving? Dodgy fish?

Staying 3 year olds are abysmal this year.

These are the only ones to have won at more than 1800m before  last Saturday

Dijon Bleu; 3YOF SW ;2000
Dragon Storm;  MDN; 2100
Firenze; MDN;  2100
Formidable;  3YO SW+P; 2100
Hello It's Me 3YOF SW; 2000
Humble Pie  R65; 2050
Iffraajinator;; MDN; 2000
In The Clear; R65; 1950
Lincoln Melody; MDN; 2050
Miss Rippy; MDN; 2200
Sacred Party; MDN; 2000
Trail Blazer; MDN; 2000
Xbox; 3YO 2000

Apart from 3yo races only Humble Pie and In The Clear have won at better than maiden.

If horses such as Iago and Sacred Day can't even win at Gisborne just confirms it.

Really interesting post SD. Easy to be sucked into hype on our 3yos leading into a derby.

I think on balance I prefer your view to Mike Dillon's (cheers Hesi). Although tbf who knows how they turn out.

For me the thing I'm enjoying about the run up to this years running is how wide open it looks. Same with the Oaks.

It's a damn shame Rosie's been given the drag.

Looked after the horse by dropping it out, with no chance from there, but should have ridden for luck instead of covering extra ground giving him a harder run.

If only Brenner had told her he wanted the softer option.

16 minutes ago, Richard Cave said:

It's a damn shame Rosie's been given the drag.

Looked after the horse by dropping it out, with no chance from there, but should have ridden for luck instead of covering extra ground giving him a harder run.

If only Brenner had told her he wanted the softer option.

Funny how people just join when they want to bag someone.

45 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

Has she ?

Where did you read that ?

Let me give you a tip in case you're new to this.

If Benner says "it was a tough decision", she's been given the drag, ok?

If Benner told Rosie to drop out and then improve around the entire field to give him a clear run, she certainly did that and doesn't deserve what she got.

If however she went against instructions she does, but she didn't.

6 hours ago, hesi said:

Surprised to read, that Mike Dillon thinks they are an exceptional bunch

If the question is what did we learn about the $1 million Vodafone NZ Derby from Saturday's $100,000 Electrolux Avondale Guineas, the answer is plenty.

The Derby aside, we are all being made aware they could be an exceptional current bunch of 3-year-old stayers. You can make a case for each of the first five home on Saturday winning the Derby. Each turned in a huge performance.

Actually my analysis may have been a bit premature. The previous years data using the same criteria was even thinner.

As for jockeys I believe one has to be closely involved and know fitness level and suitability etc to make a proper judgement.

1 hour ago, Richard Cave said:

Let me give you a tip in case you're new to this.

If Benner says "it was a tough decision", she's been given the drag, ok?

If Benner told Rosie to drop out and then improve around the entire field to give him a clear run, she certainly did that and doesn't deserve what she got.

While its sad to see when this happens, it is the owners prerogative to have who they wish ride their horse, jockeys are quick to jump on and off as they please so it cuts both ways.

2 minutes ago, scooby3051 said:

While its sad to see when this happens, it is the owners prerogative to have who they wish ride their horse, jockeys are quick to jump on and off as they please so it cuts both ways.

I agree. Jocks do change horses at times when it suits them. It's the Trainer and Owners prerogative to take such action. Weir and Waller often change Jockeys / even after a last start win! Certain Jocks are a class above in Staying races and in V Colgan, you have a top class rider of Stayers. 

2 hours ago, Richard Cave said:

"Looked after the horse by dropping it out, with no chance from there."

So Richard, just for clarification, that's basically what happened, so are you telling us that was Johno Benner's instructions?

I thought it was a terrible ride as this horse has the ability to settle a lot handier in the running, but granted he drew wide on Saturday, but to tail off by two lengths. Rosie is no NGH and to be fair this ride reminded me of her ride on Eagle Bay at Awapuni when she dropped back to seemingly hopeless position before the horse finished strongly into third. Btw he won his next two with Rosie aboard when ridden handy.

Seems strange to give her the drag if they were happy with the ride as you state. Perhaps the change suggests not.   

Guest 2Admin2
15 minutes ago, rdytdy said:

So Richard, just for clarification, that's basically what happened, so are you telling us that was Johno Benner's instructions?

I thought it was a terrible ride as this horse has the ability to settle a lot handier in the running, but granted he drew wide on Saturday, but to tail off by two lengths. Rosie is no NGH and to be fair this ride reminded me of her ride on Eagle Bay at Awapuni when she dropped back to seemingly hopeless position before the horse finished strongly into third. Btw he won his next two with Rosie aboard when ridden handy.

Seems strange to give her the drag if they were happy with the ride as you state. Perhaps the change suggests not.   

If you listened to Johnno's interview before the race she followed his instructions to the letter.

I think Rosie said post race he missed the kick slightly and settled back further than she wanted.

Guest 2Admin2

Here we go posts a fair opinion then the playground bullies link up and now we have a cock fight.

24 minutes ago, rdytdy said:

The Deputy obviously heard what I heard Benner say.

Perhaps the owners missed it and Benner's turning Myers into a scapegoat?

She rode the horse brilliantly to win and that all goes out the window for one supposedly bad ride, when she rode to instructions.

Lets hope it fails in the Derby after Colgan has trouble getting to know it's foibles on the way to a slow start and blocked run.

When I was living in Melbourne we'd get that change of riding instruction anyway.

What the hell happened to that rule here steady?