Jump to content
RaceCafe
Sign in to follow this  
Dockers

100k maiden Naki challenge

Recommended Posts

Interesting concept. $5500 plus gst for a slot in this race. States must be a maiden in June . Not sure if that's June 17 or June 18. Thoughts anyone on the merits of such an event. ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On balance a crazy idea. The timing is all wrong. No one is going to know the track conditions, some will pressure cook promising horses and find the rest of the season is ruined.

Bit like the Hawkes Bay triple crown series of races. Too many trying to get them ready for the first of the series then strange how so few of those feature later during the season.

Owners of top flight horses entering the Sydney Everest race can afford the gamble. Those that haven't yet earned a cent can't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, slam dunk said:

On balance a crazy idea. The timing is all wrong. No one is going to know the track conditions, some will pressure cook promising horses and find the rest of the season is ruined.

Bit like the Hawkes Bay triple crown series of races. Too many trying to get them ready for the first of the series then strange how so few of those feature later during the season.

Owners of top flight horses entering the Sydney Everest race can afford the gamble. Those that haven't yet earned a cent can't.

I think just about everyone can guess the track conditions. Let's see???? Heavy or perhaps really heavy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, slam dunk said:

On balance a crazy idea. The timing is all wrong. No one is going to know the track conditions, some will pressure cook promising horses and find the rest of the season is ruined.

Bit like the Hawkes Bay triple crown series of races. Too many trying to get them ready for the first of the series then strange how so few of those feature later during the season.

Owners of top flight horses entering the Sydney Everest race can afford the gamble. Those that haven't yet earned a cent can't.

Slam dunk, some very salient points.

i will be amazed if it goes ahead as planned. Later in the spring a possibility, but August, no. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dockers said:

It must be maiden as at June 2017. As it says 2 and 3 and 4 start winners will have weight penalties. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

New Plymouth announces $100,000 special conditions maiden

  • Tue, 13 Feb 2018

A $100,000 special conditions maiden will be held at New Plymouth in August.

The race, which will be funded on a similar basis to the Everest in Sydney, will be run over 1400 metres at Pukekura Raceway on August 25 and restricted to horses who were maidens at the start of June.

The field will be limited to 14 runners, and 14 guaranteed “slots” will be available at a cost of $5500 plus GST, with the slot-holders confirmed by May 1. Slot-holders will also receive significant corporate entertainment on race day.

The Naki Challenge will be run at set weights, with a two-kilogram allowance for fillies and mares and a two-and-a-half-kilogram allowance for three-year-olds. There will also be a one-kilogram allowance for maidens at the time of starting. Winners will attract the normal penalties, with two-race winners earning a one-kilogram penalty, two kilograms for three wins and three kilograms for four wins or more.

 

I read that as June the same year ie therefore June 2018. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, rdytdy said:

 

 

 

 

 

 

New Plymouth announces $100,000 special conditions maiden

  • Tue, 13 Feb 2018

A $100,000 special conditions maiden will be held at New Plymouth in August.

The race, which will be funded on a similar basis to the Everest in Sydney, will be run over 1400 metres at Pukekura Raceway on August 25 and restricted to horses who were maidens at the start of June.

The field will be limited to 14 runners, and 14 guaranteed “slots” will be available at a cost of $5500 plus GST, with the slot-holders confirmed by May 1. Slot-holders will also receive significant corporate entertainment on race day.

The Naki Challenge will be run at set weights, with a two-kilogram allowance for fillies and mares and a two-and-a-half-kilogram allowance for three-year-olds. There will also be a one-kilogram allowance for maidens at the time of starting. Winners will attract the normal penalties, with two-race winners earning a one-kilogram penalty, two kilograms for three wins and three kilograms for four wins or more.

 

I read that as June the same year ie therefore June 2018. 

I thought that too. Though pretty hard to be a 3 or 4 race winner between June and August plus slots close on May 1st. The article does not explain that well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder how the Stake Money will be slit up to balance the risk?

I can see a few big stables buying a slot in May, and no takers for half of the slots.

To buy a slot in May with a single horse and not a big stable behind you would be like a 90% chance throwing $5500.00 + GST away.

Thinking about it further it’s an easy $15,000 in GST for the Government!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will go the alternative view to a few posters - good on the club for looking at something innovative and different. My picture of this club is they do think outside the square and try things.

I've heard great things about their punters comp for example. They have extreme distance day/interprovincial challenge and so on. Not all to everyone's liking but at least they aren't sitting on their hands complaining.

From my couple of visits there the hospitality is pretty good too.

Hope it works - and if it doesn't tweak it the following year, or try something else...

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, chelseacol said:

I will go the alternative view to a few posters - good on the club for looking at something innovative and different. My picture of this club is they do think outside the square and try things.

I've heard great things about their punters comp for example. They have extreme distance day/interprovincial challenge and so on. Not all to everyone's liking but at least they aren't sitting on their hands complaining.

From my couple of visits there the hospitality is pretty good too.

Hope it works - and if it doesn't tweak it the following year, or try something else...

 

Agree Col - why not try it?  Unfortunately unlikely to have a contender to have  a crack.  But when I have gone up there with one in the past - the place was crowded - hard to get a seat etc - but friendly club and lovely people in the room after. 

So from this owner they got my tick ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jess said:

Agree Col - why not try it?  Unfortunately unlikely to have a contender to have  a crack.  But when I have gone up there with one in the past - the place was crowded - hard to get a seat etc - but friendly club and lovely people in the room after. 

So from this owner they got my tick ....

Agree totally each time I’ve been to New Plymouth the welcome and treatment has been superb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2018 at 7:24 AM, Insider said:

I wonder how the Stake Money will be slit up to balance the risk?

I can see a few big stables buying a slot in May, and no takers for half of the slots.

To buy a slot in May with a single horse and not a big stable behind you would be like a 90% chance throwing $5500.00 + GST away.

Thinking about it further it’s an easy $15,000 in GST for the Government!

You've probably hit the nail on the head. Perhaps someone can verify the tax implications.

THis is just a glorified futures betting pool whereby the owner is entitled to a bet on a number 1 to 14. As such it would make better sense doing it through the TAB which is set up for that purpose and not have $15,000 immediately disappear to the government. Sounds to me the scheme hasn't been thought through thoroughly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's do something that they don't do at Fletcher Building.

Let's consider risks and rewards.

I pay $6325 to enter, $460 for the float, $391 for trainer and staff accommodation and $161 for the jockey = $7337.

I win and get 60% for the winner, which after percentages is $49,650.  But having won a $100,000 race the stable staff will need an extra 5% , that is $3000.

So I risk $7337 to win $46,650 in a fourteen horse race.  Suddenly, idiotic Lotto is looking okay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Tauhei Notts said:

Let's do something that they don't do at Fletcher Building.

Let's consider risks and rewards.

I pay $6325 to enter, $460 for the float, $391 for trainer and staff accommodation and $161 for the jockey = $7337.

I win and get 60% for the winner, which after percentages is $49,650.  But having won a $100,000 race the stable staff will need an extra 5% , that is $3000.

So I risk $7337 to win $46,650 in a fourteen horse race.  Suddenly, idiotic Lotto is looking okay.

Im a bit lost with your numbers TN. Lotto only pay out 53% of pool from what ive told in the past. Likewise probability of winning lotto is 1 in 38 million. In a race with 14 participants the odds must be far more attractive

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it really showing initiative though? As it is a straight out copy of The Everest from where I'm standing albeit on a much smaller scale.

Don't we already have two races like this they are called the Karaka Million for 2 & 3yo i.e. the entry fees are all pooled together to create the prize money.

The racing in August I don't see as a problem , as no body knows what type of track you're going to get dished up by the weather gods in NZ at any given time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Huey said:

Is it really showing initiative though? As it is a straight out copy of The Everest from where I'm standing albeit on a much smaller scale.

Don't we already have two races like this they are called the Karaka Million for 2 & 3yo i.e. the entry fees are all pooled together to create the prize money.

The racing in August I don't see as a problem , as no body knows what type of track you're going to get dished up by the weather gods in NZ at any given time.

We have the Karake 2 and 3 year old but to quaily for that you have had to purchase the horse through the Karaka sales. Sometimes there are really  good horses around that were bred not purchased so then they could enter as no sales restriction

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, army said:

We have the Karake 2 and 3 year old but to quaily for that you have had to purchase the horse through the Karaka sales. Sometimes there are really  good horses around that were bred not purchased so then they could enter as no sales restriction

 

But my point is its still a restrictive race you need to have purchased a slot to run in the race. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, poundforpound said:

I applaud them for showing initiative.

Bad time of year for mine, I don’t do the mud thing, but if it was in summer I’d be buying a slot ( given that I’m the best judge in NZ :) ) then I’d approach someone with a decent horse and go halves in the stakemoney.

Sorry, If I've got the best horse its 80/20.    Like 80% for me and 20% for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Huey said:

Is it really showing initiative though? As it is a straight out copy of The Everest from where I'm standing albeit on a much smaller scale.

 

To be fair "The Everest" is a straight out copy of "The Pegasus" and "The championships" a copy of the "Breeders cup".

Learn from people who do it better than you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×