Jump to content
RaceCafe
Sign in to follow this  
dbtab

EAGLE MOUNTAIN MARE

Recommended Posts

Eagle Mountain has a very dour female line. Depends on your budget but Iffraaj would inject speed. Ditto Showcasing and Proisir. If you want to breed back to Danehill then Sacred Falls. His first crop of yearlings are cracking types.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, gubellini said:

Eagle Mountain has a very dour female line. Depends on your budget but Iffraaj would inject speed. Ditto Showcasing and Proisir. If you want to breed back to Danehill then Sacred Falls. His first crop of yearlings are cracking types.

Wouldn't Proisir be doubling up on the Danehill?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It can be a good start, generally it means there are several stakes performers bred with a similar cross.  Doesnt take into account all the potential nicks etc I would recommend having a chat to an independent consultant about potential mating.  I have the contact details for several if you Wang me to pm them to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎06‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 8:18 AM, dbtab said:

HI HAVE ONE OF ONLY 3 MARES BY EAGLE MOUNTAIN OUT OF VEGA BELLE   WHO IS FROM BELLE FAMILY .ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR A STALLION?

Iffraaj would be a very interesting cross , Both Number 14 dam lines

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stick to a stallion between $5,000 and say $7,000.

While your mare does have a nice pedigree she probably is still a festival mare so no need to risk a higher service fee.

Get the mare up and going and hopefully her first or second foal can get off to a great start on the race track.

Try and breed an early foal and sell at the weanling sale.

While you may get more at the yearling sale the cost from weanling sale to yearling sale is an extra approx $10,000 if you were paying for agistment, preparation, xrays etc.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Needless to say - I don't have an Eagle Mountain mare but have nevertheless enjoyed reading the breeding buffs' opinions.

I see Nas' point re not "over-mating" your mare - it is a valid point of view because it's easy not to see your money back if you sell as a weanling/yearling and your mare is not stellar bred/performed.

However the other side of that coin could be that early in a mare's breeding career (if you are to remain invested in it) that you choose the best horse you can afford - to give you the best chance of establishing that mare as a successful producer as early as possible.  Get a really good one on the ground early on and the rest will be easier (and hopefully more profitable).

Would be great if you let us know what you decide and how it turns out dbtab.  Eagle Mountain was an interesting horse and your mare is quite a rare creature for sure! The breeding forum is my favorite and I just wish there was more activity and more photos of horses posted!  Thanks to those who do contribute - enjoy the opinions / observations / expertise.   

All the best to you dbtab

Cheers, J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just had a quick look at your mares pedigree, some very nice lines and some big names in there, best of luck and I suspect that a lot of the G1 Goldmine matches will throw a 20/20 as those lines are very prevalent in some very good horses and the G1 Goldmine matches look for similarities in pedigrees, but doesn't take into account where a particular cross does not yield stakes winners, nor successful nicks or sex balanced line breeding (as opposed to inbreeding).  A good starting point however.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2018 at 3:00 PM, Nasrullah said:

Stick to a stallion between $5,000 and say $7,000.

While your mare does have a nice pedigree she probably is still a festival mare so no need to risk a higher service fee.

Get the mare up and going and hopefully her first or second foal can get off to a great start on the race track.

Try and breed an early foal and sell at the weanling sale.

While you may get more at the yearling sale the cost from weanling sale to yearling sale is an extra approx $10,000 if you were paying for agistment, preparation, xrays etc.

 

There will be no festival sale (book 3) next year so no use breeding for that market

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

K3 level of breeding appears to be dead in the water. Financially I can fully understand it. If they take away K3 and move it to May sale and/or gavelhouse will k3 mares be completely eradicated. Do K3 level stallions therefore also get removed. The industry involvement continues to contract. Mind you with Te Aroha abandoning today why wouldn't you. Hurry up Winston.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Om jabbar said:

K3 level of breeding appears to be dead in the water. Financially I can fully understand it. If they take away K3 and move it to May sale and/or gavelhouse will k3 mares be completely eradicated. Do K3 level stallions therefore also get removed. The industry involvement continues to contract. Mind you with Te Aroha abandoning today why wouldn't you. Hurry up Winston.

Well you can justify any horse Eigth Wonder?????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have bred my danzig line mares to Complacent as Authorised seems to cross well with this line. Look at Hartnell who won a 1400m Gr1 on Saturday against top Aust horses. Hartnell is by Authorised out of a Danzig line mare .His dam is by Anabaa.Complacent beat Hartnell in Aust.and won from 1400m to 2000m also running 2nd at 2400m.He was a very good horse when racing and showed a great turn of foot in his races.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2018 at 8:00 AM, jeepers said:

I have bred my danzig line mares to Complacent as Authorised seems to cross well with this line. Look at Hartnell who won a 1400m Gr1 on Saturday against top Aust horses. Hartnell is by Authorised out of a Danzig line mare .His dam is by Anabaa.Complacent beat Hartnell in Aust.and won from 1400m to 2000m also running 2nd at 2400m.He was a very good horse when racing and showed a great turn of foot in his races.

Agree with you Jeepers...people in NZ have seriously under-rated Complacent. He is bred on the same cross as Tavistock...and whilst there will be some on here that will cry me down, this fellow was every bit as good as Tavistock, if not better.  He showed amazing tenacity to recover from what would be described here as a career ending injury...so give him every chance and at $5k, there isn’t better value in NZ. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Make sure you breed a type first that suits the mare. Eagle Mountain was a tremendous racehorse a good stayer (will be attractive to the asian market) however I think you should look more towards what sort of stallions have mixed well with the belle family. Try to breed to the strengths of the family and bring the best of that out.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, optical said:

Try to breed to the strengths of the family and bring the best of that out.  

I have often seen the above quote and don’t understand what it really means.

Let’s take the “Belle” family for example.

It’s strengths seem to me, to be speed oriented and dark in colour. 

(Dark in colour is an advantage when selling.)

Therefore to ‘breed to it’s strengths’ should I be mating it to Showcasing (in this country) which offers both.

Marie Leister obviously did that when using Commands to get Melody Belle!

Is it as simple as that, or am I too simple?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Insider said:

I have often seen the above quote and don’t understand what it really means.

Let’s take the “Belle” family for example.

It’s strengths seem to me, to be speed oriented and dark in colour. 

(Dark in colour is an advantage when selling.)

Therefore to ‘breed to it’s strengths’ should I be mating it to Showcasing (in this country) which offers both.

Marie Leister obviously did that when using Commands to get Melody Belle!

Is it as simple as that, or am I too simple?

 

The Belle family strength is splinter/miler types. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, optical said:

The Belle family strength is splinter/miler types. 

Agree, that’s exactly as I see the ‘Belle’ family too.

So should one only breed a mare from the ‘Belle’ family to that sort of stallion or is there a lot more to it than that?

Are there other family strengths?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×