RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
tim vince

k smith j green

at last we have 2 guys standing up and being counted when it comes to the rating system- kevin seems sick of being dictated too when he  is the paid handicapper. in the informant today he speaks of his frustration- personally I think he is 100 percent correct.time we leave the big decisions to those who know what they are talking about not a parochial biased group who seem to have self interest at heart in some cases,

Could noy agree more Tim. Kevin does his absolute best to be fair to everyone but of course there are some trainers/owners who are impossible to placate. He has made himself available and obviously some of the "grizzlers" are hounding him.Some of them would never be happy unless they drew 1  in a one horse race. Press on Kevin as this system for handicapping is going to be a winner once sufficient numbers end up with  enough horses to r0un races with say 50 to 53 or even rating 40/41 only. We need x horsemen like Kevin in top postions . 

john legend owners trainers always want an edge I do   we all do  it just seems to me he lacks support in his own organization-  him and Andrew either are competent or not.  i have had my eyes opened in recent   months  silly me thought they made all the decisions- they make almost none.  have brakes on them  has failed lets try and give them a free hand.of course there have to be perameters.

From today I presume everyone knows the flexibility of the handicapper hs been restricted by having nil points for 2nd to 5th.   so he only looks at 1st and 6th to last (minus 1,2 or 3 points.) Sorry Tim i cant afford the informant get it secondhand as a poor horse owner ! He obviously must be permitted to do his job. I have said before it is refreshing to deal with someone who knows what he is doing and is prepared to justify his decisions. HRNZ should be happy he still there'

I may be a little slow on the uptake - it has been claimed in the past - but why does the club need a "handicapper" at all?

Surely the "ratings system" does the handicapping, and all that is required is some intelligent race programming. For a rating "system" to be effective it should automatically adjust a horses ratings according to a pre-progammed formula, so that the process is known in advance, and no interpretation is needed.

If the system isn't working, you tweak the formula, in this case the ratings system, as opposed to relying on an individual to make a personal judgement of what needs changing.

No disrespect to Kevin Smith, as he seems to me to be doing a fine job .... albeit in a position that shouldn't exist.

21 hours ago, JackSprat said:

I may be a little slow on the uptake - it has been claimed in the past - but why does the club need a "handicapper" at all?

Surely the "ratings system" does the handicapping, and all that is required is some intelligent race programming. For a rating "system" to be effective it should automatically adjust a horses ratings according to a pre-progammed formula, so that the process is known in advance, and no interpretation is needed.

If the system isn't working, you tweak the formula, in this case the ratings system, as opposed to relying on an individual to make a personal judgement of what needs changing.

No disrespect to Kevin Smith, as he seems to me to be doing a fine job .... albeit in a position that shouldn't exist.

Exactly - no personal input neeeded .

You should know what is the outcome before the race starts .

The  change and abuse of paid personnel has been driven by a vocal minority of shellfish trainers whining to feather their  own nest.

System is basically back to the old grading system - let’s run for 2nd for 10 starts !