RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Dockers

Last 600m times

Good afternoon all.

Just looking at some last 600m times for an r65 race the other day and a couple of horses ran 32.6 on a good 3. Does that sound right as sounds bloody quick to me. Anyone know the fasest 600m in a 1200m race. Have a bet with a mate . 

There you have it.  To give you an idea Pakaraka Star had some serious wheels and the quickest I ever clocked him was in 34 for the last 3 furlongs, the same with Lord Majestic, both Group performers.  Although that was at Stratford with the uphill straight, the best All in Fun managed was 36 by my watch (although with a wet track he grew another leg).

I had the same query when doing the sectionals for the track. The Track Manager has assured me the 600m marker was in the correct position as the track has been surveyed with all the correct starting points and sectional marks. One explanation is that they have the second longest straight in the country of 447m so less bend to go round. Riccarton generally run the fastest last 600 metres ( Avantage 31.78 in October over a race distance of 800m) mainly because of the long straight and it is slightly downhill from the 600m mark. Hope that helps.

On 29/01/2018 at 5:57 PM, Tomjr said:

I wouldn't trust those times for a second, that would be really trucking for Open class horses let alone 65's

I am pretty sure that is correct.They have had track surveyed recently,think long straight makes the difference,same as Riccartons straight i think

On 1/29/2018 at 9:44 PM, Tomjr said:

32.39 to the last 600 would be fast enough to win many Group races, would take these times with a large pinch of salt

Not really Tom as it's only the last 600. In a race I had an interest in, our filly was said to come home from last in 32.9 but the first 800 was reasonably sedate. Depends entirely how the race is run so personally I don't put a lot of store in these kinds of stats. 

Here's another reason why they don't stack up. John Walker could never run his last 200 meters (or 220 yards) anywhere close to that amazing kick of Peter Snell. But on overall mile times Snell couldn't get within 5 seconds of Walker.

15 hours ago, weasel57 said:

and the Pukekohe 2 were on the same day ...i'd be a little wary of those 2 sectionals but interesting to see if the two horses go on to better things

image.thumb.png.2384bb38671fb0bc5d5c31a603ef7d96.png

Good point. Results from that meeting have 6 horses recording top 3 Last 600 over different distances.