RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Right first time

Blast from My Past

1 hour ago, Right first time said:

Quoting from the book Harness Heroes by Ron Bisman.

" Jim Donaldson, of Ashburton, killed in an auto accident on the Auckland motorway in April 1971, when aged 58, was one of the real characters of his time. The most travelled man of his era within New Zealand Trotting, he graduated from driving a dust-cart in Hawera in early days to become a breeder, owner, trainer and driver of considerable repute. In November 1970 Donaldson enjoyed his most important success - with James in the New Zealand Trotting Cup. Donaldson bred James and spent more time in Auckland with him than at home for a year or so, the gelding's Cup win being his only Addington success.  Auckland officials, who came to treat Donaldson as the "star boarder", allowed Jim to display his Cup trophy to all and sundry on the dais in the Alexandra Park birdcage on his next trip north after his big Addington win. Peter Wolfenden, who drive James in his Cup win and several important victories at Alexandra Park, landed him into second behind Globe Bay in the Auckland Centennial Flying Mile the night before Donaldson's tragic accident. 

Thank you for that, much appreciated and shows a modicum  of my   aging brain cells must be issuing some  spark, no matter how weak.

25 minutes ago, Belinda said:

Single Cash was owned by Roy Landon and Bruce File.

They also had Thunder Royal the 1967 Wellington Cup winner. Back in those days they kept him in a paddock over the road from our house. One day he got out and galloped down the road with whole gang of stay at home mums ( back then no mother's worked ) attempting to catch him, the  faster they ran , the faster he went. Came to a stop in a garden and proceeded to chew one mum's prize roses.   They also owned the local garage in Mt Albert.

36 minutes ago, Mr Spyro said:

They also had Thunder Royal the 1967 Wellington Cup winner. Back in those days they kept him in a paddock over the road from our house. One day he got out and galloped down the road with whole gang of stay at home mums ( back then no mother's worked ) attempting to catch him, the  faster they ran , the faster he went. Came to a stop in a garden and proceeded to chew one mum's prize roses.   They also owned the local garage in Mt Albert.

Mr Spyro Roy Landon sure did train Thunder Royal. He raced 77 times for 8 wins. Paddy Timmins drove him when he won the 1967 Wellington Cup. Vista Abbey and Doug Mangos was second with Amend and Tommy Knowles third and Port Boxer and Syd Kemble fourth.

Just now, gubellini said:

Mr Spyro Roy Landon sure did train Thunder Royal. He raced 77 times for 8 wins. Paddy Timmins drove him when he won the 1967 Wellington Cup. Vista Abbey and Doug Mangos was second with Amend and Tommy Knowles third and Port Boxer and Syd Kemble fourth.

Thank you for added information. I think it would have been the same year he won the Cup he went on his escapade, so he still had all his speed. 

8 minutes ago, Mr Spyro said:

Thank you for added information. I think it would have been the same year he won the Cup he went on his escapade, so he still had all his speed. 

Mr Spyro the NZ Trotting Registers state that Roy trained at Avondale. He must have been the only Trotting Trainer there!

5 hours ago, Right first time said:

I recall that Roy Landon and Bruce File also had a looser-class pacer named 'Double Cash'. 

It always intrigued me, 'Single Cash' the trotter...then 'Double Cash' the pacer.

Double Cash was a smart 2yo. He won his first two starts and won 3/6 as a juvenile. He was trained and driven by Tommy Knowles at Huapai. Merv File raced him with Bruce and Roy. He won the NZ Juvenile Championship at Alexandra Park on 31/12/70. At three he was trained by Roy Purdon winning twice from 19 starts. He won the Tudor Hanover Stakes at Tauranga driven by Peter Wolfenden. He also won the Cambridge Gold Cup again driven by Peter Wolfenden.

11 hours ago, Belinda said:

Single Cash was one of only 2 horses sired by Cashier,  I believe Cashier used to kill any sheep that got into his paddock.

Belinda after a bit of research I found that Cashier sired three horses. The other two were out of Sweet Jewel.

Sweet Cash 1960 c

Fara 1962 f

Neither raced but Fara produced six foals none of which won races.

On 2/7/2018 at 3:05 PM, Value Bell said:

Scan.jpg

Some great names there. Dane Alexander still training.

A bit later when we were in Kumeu the Sunday workouts were huge. Mid-80s Dave Gibbons, Tom Knowles, Peter Young, Gary Hillier, Mike and Owen Nicholas, Don and Shane Hayes all had big teams in work. Many more, but this certainly brings back memories 

16 hours ago, Belinda said:

irvin had some really good horses when he was there, Tricky Dick, White Devon, Markovina (who won an Interdom Final in Perth), just to name a few..

I remember Irvin Behrns and a horse called Hundred Pipers, and a little later another one whose name began with Gold ......, can't remember the full name, it was pretty good. Command Performer, was that another one ? Visited his tables at Kumeu when I was young, his junior driver was Frank Cooney.

I am happy to be corrected but I thought Hundred Pipers was trained by Jim Smith ?

That 1970 meeting could of been the last appearance of Cardigan Bay at Alex Park ? ? at that stage he was in " retirement "  at Pukututu Island.

Driven down the straight by PTW. I think it took place after Double Cash's race maybe before the cup.